Purple

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Purple

Post by JohnH »

skirtyscot wrote:
JohnH wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote: Bold Purple is a male liturgical color often used around Easter time.
Most liturgical Christian traditions in the West (e.g., Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran) use purple for the penitential seasons of Advent [before Christmas] and Lent [before Easter]. Some congregations use blue instead of purple for Advent.

John
I see a schism approaching!
Why? That's not a big deal at all.

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Churches have had schisms over lesser things. Here in Scotland there was one because one Protestant church refused to discipline one its prominent members for going to a Catholic funeral of a friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mac ... _Clashfern

But I jest!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I write from the perspective of living in the United States. Here we have all kinds of different churches, none that are supported by the government. In the Lutheran tradition alone there are several different denominations. And we have Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Presbyterian of several denominations, all kinds of Baptist churches, Greek Orthodox, Pentacostal, and so forth. A lot of denominations don´t use church seasonal colors at all, so the idea of having schisms over a slightly different color are inconceivable. Here you can have a Protestant minister cooperating in a Roman Catholic funeral without any objections.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Purple as a liturgical color is not exactly male as female priests would wear it too during Lent.
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

skirtyscot wrote:Churches have had schisms over lesser things. Here in Scotland there was one because one Protestant church refused to discipline one its prominent members for going to a Catholic funeral of a friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mac ... _Clashfern

But I jest!
Wow! I can't even imagine giving a religious bureaucracy that sort of influence over my life. Only the most primitive fundamentalists here would live under such strictures.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have purple tank tops (ladies' version) and blouses which I've worn in public (with skirts of course) and it's never been a big deal. Hell, I've work pink tanks, ditto with the lack of interest.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have purple tank tops (ladies' version) and blouses which I've worn in public (with skirts of course) and it's never been a big deal. Hell, I've work pink tanks, ditto with the lack of interest.
After reading the responses on this thread, I'm starting to realize that it's not a big deal, unless you live near Lynchburg VA (which I did for the first 23 years of my life), which explains the error of my upbringing.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

moonshadow wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have purple tank tops (ladies' version) and blouses which I've worn in public (with skirts of course) and it's never been a big deal. Hell, I've work pink tanks, ditto with the lack of interest.
After reading the responses on this thread, I'm starting to realize that it's not a big deal, unless you live near Lynchburg VA (which I did for the first 23 years of my life), which explains the error of my upbringing.
So what is Lynchburg VA - the northern border of the southern redneck country ? A sort of LOL tampered or tendered with care !
Unless you live around a golf course wearing a kilt can be problematic - as for a skirt whoa you aren't going to wear that are you ?
I have golfed (at least I like to think I have golfed) a great deal of the courses around Southern Pines NC (about 50 miles south of Raleigh) and for the
most part it has been civil when wearing a kilt. After all golfing and Scottish heritage go together.
Strange looks when wearing a skort - different apples and oranges comparison.
It gets worse around Augusta GA where only until recently have women been granted access to the Masters.
I can see a kilt on the golf course but a skirt that has to be some kind of sacrilege if worn by a male !

AND don't ask me about my game - I am not going to get rich or famous because of my play ! Nor win any bets !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

skirtyscot wrote:Purple is a great colour! I didn't know anyone thought of it as feminine, unless you are talking about mauve. A good strong purple isn't remotely feminine. or

My quest to find a purple skirt that I really like continues. I have bought a few, and got rid of some of them. Trouble is that because it is a strong colour, designers seem to avoid using it much, and when they do, they don't use it for workaday designs like a knee-length skirt in a heavy fabric like cord or cotton twill.

Deep purple shades like aubergine seem easier to find. I have posted a pic of a deep purple suede skirt in my pics thread, and I have some others that just aren't quite right so they should be back on Ebay if I ever get round to it. Burgundy and various shades of plum abound. But an in-your-face purple purple is not such a common shade.

I have done a silly thing. I went onto Ebay and sought purple skirts. Put in a few bids, and lo and behold, so far I have bought 5. Mind you, only three of them are actually purple, so that's not so bad. :? They may start to arrive through my letterbox as soon as tomorrow, whereupon Mrs SS will give me a hard time for buying even more skirts. What's more, I am currently highest bidder on another purple one, and two non-purple ones for good measure. I would quite like it if somebody were to outbid me on the unpurple ones. Seeing as my bids are only £2.50 and 99p, I am optimistic.

On the plus side, I have learnt that purple purple is called magenta. I suppose I ought to have known that already.

Photos may follow. In the meantime I really must get rid of the skirts I never wear.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:On the plus side, I have learnt that purple purple is called magenta. I suppose I ought to have known that already.
Actually, magenta is a very specific colour and is the one produced in the additive system when one mixes blue and red. Television engineers are very keen on those sorts of things, and to them it's more of the colour that's produced when the red and blue phosphors are equally excited in a picture tube.

In the subtractive world (that of dye or paint) magenta is more of a reddish purple than an outright violet shade. I've got a really nice purple skirt that, I think, is on page 1 of my Pics and Looks thread. It doesn't fit any more thanks to all the weight I've lost. I'll probably have it taken in at some point depending on whether I have a future or not.

Note that due to the vagaries of human perception, two individuals will rarely agree on a precise shade unless it's accompanied by colour-chits for precise comparison.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When changing the color print cartridges on my printer - there are -3- CYAN YELLOW & MAGNETA or Blue Yellow & Red.
These three colors make pretty much all the colors of the rainbow spectrum !
BUT whatever you do - DO NOT PRESS THE "BLACK" button - it is turn the lights out mode !
And if you find the "WHITE" button it is not presto change-o everything back to normal !
Once the ink has left the cartridge there is no 'White Out' to UNDO the job !
How many of you can remember the "White Out" used with a typewriter - ah er what's a typewriter ?
And the IBM Selectric typewriter had a 'White Out' cartridge to insert correcting the mistake by typing over the black.

Now back to "PURPLE" sometimes a black eye was more purple than black - go figure !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

r.m.anderson wrote:So what is Lynchburg VA - the northern border of the southern redneck country ?
Although the answer is strictly opinion.... I would say.... YES. Or at least it starts to get pretty confederate south of the Hill City.
skirtyscot wrote: I went onto Ebay and sought purple skirts.
I think a purple skirt is going to be among my next line of purchases. Just because. (I'm serious) I like the color!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've never had a problem with wearing ANY colour at all. Purple is the favourite colour of MOH and mine is blue. Within the first year of marriage we often wore a purple T-shirt with a multicolour sun on the front. We also had matching purple shirts which I think if I remember wrongly ( no doubt MOH will correct me ) came from the other side of the isle. The T-shirts wore out but the shirts but not sure about the shirts - we may still have them tucked away but certainly won't fit anymore. But currently I wear all colours from black through to white. Yellow is a favourite of mine and I do have purple and yellow skirts. Never associated purple with anything sexual and certainly not homosexuality.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Nailed it...

Wore this getup all over today. This is one of the skirts I picked up at the hippie store at Roanoke yesterday. I actually wasn't in the market for anything today, but we had to run and get some supplies, so I wore it at Walmart and my home store.

We also stopped by a roadside indoor flea market right outside of Abingdon. The type that runs full time year round vendors. It's an enormous place. And I won't deny I was a bit apprehensive about going in. It was crawling with confederate flags, rifles, and such.... It was also quite busy. When I walked in the door, I noticed right off the back many conversations stopped and several sets of eyes were fixed on me. Thankfully a black woman with what seemed like a deep foreign (African?) accent stopped me dead and proceeded to praise the skirt and wanted to know where I got it. I told her, thanked her for the compliment, and wished her a good day. After that nothing further seemed to bother me, we walked all of the isles and checked out many of the booths.

I dare say this extremely redneck establishment was strangely friendly like. Not quite what I expected. Unlike my walk in downtown Roanoke the day prior in a much more "quiet" skirt, where many more strange stares were registered, and a few obnoxious laughs from surrounding riff raff.

Perhaps I have misjudged the country folk around here.

My only issue in this skirt was it is indeed a summer like skirt, the fabric is very light, and today it was somewhat windy. It was somewhat of a bear to keep it down at times.

Amber wanted to try and find a pair of pants (trousers) and we stopped at the GoodWill. We weren't able to purchase anything due to the visa machine not working. She pointed out several skirts that she thought I would like... but in all honesty, even if the visa was working... as it stands I'm sort of "skirted out". Not only am I fresh out of money, but there simply isn't enough days to wear all these skirts. With my four days off per month I have, I think I may have enough to wear a fresh skirt on every day off for a year and not have a repeat.

They are fun though. So many different styles to choose from.
-Andrea
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Great job in color coordination :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)