Purple

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Purple

Post by moonshadow »

Well, wore it out (with the black undergarments) tonight to a few stores. The world continued to spin. Stopped by my homestore to pick up some groceries. Not an eye was batted. Of course I think they're getting used to seeing me in unusual outfits.

One thing that's pretty cool about skirts and dresses, is there is all kinds of different ways to experiment with styles and accessories.

I wore the outfit belted, but I think that will be the last time. It wasn't particularly comfortable, and as far as looks go, I don't see where it really makes it any better or worse. I do like your idea Carl about trying a possible sash. Ethernet cable? Not so sure. Maybe an extension cord? :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Just a suggestion but, try the black skirt on the outside of the dress.
Black T-Shirt under, the PinkPurple over the shirt and the
black skirt over the dress. Then the belt would be useful in holding
up the skirt.
Black
Purple
Black

This would tone-down the loudness of the purple dress
not shocking the eyes with the color brightness.

Again - just a suggestion :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, to add my two cents worth, I think that dress looks better without the belt.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Well, to add my two cents worth, I think that dress looks better without the belt.
I'm glad that's the way opinions seem to be steering... because it sure was a pain in the a.... well actually a pretty big pain in the torso to wear. (too tight)

As far as looks, I could go either way, six some, half dozen the other, but it was just too constraining with the belt.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

A skinny guy's belt won't work right anyway. I'm currently looking for a 5" or so wide belt for wearing with some of the dresses I have. Essentially one of the ones with two or three buckles. Enough to help pull the stomach in a little bit more.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

My tuppence worth, in case you still a little short of advice :D

The dress on its own isn't right for you. It's vastly improved by the black layer under it, though the belt makes it worse again. But the underlying problems are that it is too tight round the torso and the armholes, and that it just ain't your colour. You are too pale to put up a fight against that pink (which how it appears on my phone).

Most important of all is not my opinion, but Jenn's. Your wife is in general a fan of your skirts and dresses; she hates this one. Why piss her off by wearing it, and maybe risk losing her support for all the less outré outfits?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:My tuppence worth, in case you still a little short of advice :D

The dress on its own isn't right for you. It's vastly improved by the black layer under it, though the belt makes it worse again. But the underlying problems are that it is too tight round the torso and the armholes, and that it just ain't your colour. You are too pale to put up a fight against that pink (which how it appears on my phone).

Most important of all is not my opinion, but Jenn's. Your wife is in general a fan of your skirts and dresses; she hates this one. Why piss her off by wearing it, and maybe risk losing her support for all the less outré outfits?
Although I may be incorrect, but my impression was when I added the black undergarments, it was more tolerable to my wife. A favorite? No. But she ceased her protest.

Regarding the close fitting arm holes.... well actually that is one of the characteristics I like about women's tanks, and that is that the arm holes tend to be a little tighter. Men's tanks never suited my style. They always looked "sloppy" to me as they always had enormous arm holes (half way down your side in many cases), and it's difficult to just buy a regular mens tank. No they are only available with sports logo's, or in dull, ordinary fabrics. Women's tanks tend to look more "proper" to my eye, also, even on women they tend to be more skin tight, and so with my body, they accentuate every curve, which is a look that I think pulls skirts together nicely, rather than the "baggy" shirts of the men's department.

Women's tank tops are quickly becoming my shirt of choice, especially as the weather warms up, they are very comfortable, and stylish.

Here is a pose with one I picked up from KMart. I've since added about 5 more of varying styles.

This one isn't a "skin tight" as a few of my others, but it still conforms to my body all the way down to my hip. You will notice how the back side hugs the curvature of my back, and flares back out over the top part of my rear.

If I suck my gut in, it looks just stellar.... and I'm working on that issue. Sadly, Little Debbie cakes are quite addictive. If you get the real stretchy tanks, you don't have to deal with big busted shirts, as they are designed to stretch anywhere from outright flat chested, on out.

The shirts also seem to be a few inches shorter than my men's shirts. This means I don't have to tuck them in, otherwise in longer men's shirts... it often looked like I was nothing but torso, with short little legs. Some men's shirts can go clear down past your thighs. Women's shirts seem to run a little shorter, and seem to make for a more proper look when combined with a (women's) skirt.

But that's just my two cents, that and about $3.73 will buy you a skirt at the GoodWill. :P

Regarding the pale skin.... well that is what it is. Perhaps after a summer of wearing women's tanks.... it won't be as bad.
-Andrea
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

When I first saw your pic of the 'out-fit', my eyes hurt.
This out-fit will bring plenty of looks & comments.
I know you're trying to show-off the Tank-Top and it
may be quite cool and comfortable,

BUT....

:oops: :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Strong recommendation: DO NOT WEAR STRIPES WITH A PRINT/PLAID.
Keep the top but wear a solid black or Navy Blue skirt.

If you're going to wear the skirt, use a solid color dress/semi-dress
shirt in either light/dark blue or red/burgundy. Even a dark yellow/gold
colored shirt would work too.
These colors are part of the color palette of the skirt.

:oops: :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

*sighs*

In grammar school a girl in my class proceeded to slam me for wearing jogging pants every day. She told me I need to "dress with some degree of class" and stop making a fool of myself. It's interesting that as a child, I wore jogging pants for the same reason many of us wear skirts (myself included) because jogging pants are easier on the groin area.

So, being the insecure child I was, I proceeded to start wearing jeans, and everybody got off my back. And from that point until last summer, I was wearing what society expected me to wear, despite my own yearning for my personal brand of style and comfort. Style made a return about five years ago, when I started wearing bibbed overalls and a hillbilly fedora hat everywhere I went. Once again, people started to laugh. But I didn't care. I thought it looked cool, and continued in that outfit until I started wearing skirts.

So I'm eclectic. Which is just a politically correct way of saying that I typically stand alone in virtually every decision I make.

So okay, I get it, I can't coordinate clothing style to save my life. And I'm not even going to try anymore. Hence forth... if I like it... it's good enough. I'm going broke trying to get this to match that, and that to match the other thing. I've been a fashion failure all my life. It's soaked down to the core of my soul. It's just who I am. There's nothing I can do about it. If I changed, I'd no longer be MoonShadow, I'd be someone else. I'd be who the world wants me to be. And if I'm going to go down that road, then I might as well put the male "uniform" back on, and just wear t-shirt and jeans like my classmate advised so long ago. I'd like to go back to that day in the school house, if I had to do it all over again.... I'd return the next day with a colorful hippie skirt and a stripped tank top. :lol:

And see what Leslie had to say about that!

History seldom remember's those who played by the rules! :wink:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] I can't coordinate clothing style to save my life. And I'm not even going to try anymore.
This is not a skill that men are typically trained in, and the fortunate few who seem to be born with the ability usually are in for vicious ridicule as youngsters. Girls have it hammered into them by their mothers from a very early age (or at least they used to); boys' stuff is so bland that no instruction is necessary. However, it is a skill that can be learnt, and even without a lifetime of practical experience with it one can do OK. If aesthetics isn't your bent and science is, study colour theory for a little bit and how the human eye perceives things.

I'll argue with Uncle Al about mixing of prints/stripes/plaid, mainly because I feel slightly quarrelsome at the moment, but mixing of such elements can be done; it just needs care and attention to detail.

The tie-dye skirt and hen-pecker (can't really call it a "wife-beater") is fine for a casual look. I just wouldn't wear it to work.
Hence forth... if I like it... it's good enough. I'm going broke trying to get this to match that, and that to match the other thing.
That's good enough.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, understand that I'm not trying to pick on Al, I'm merely taking a swing back after decades of being told "you can't shouldn't do that" in regards to clothing.

I also offer up my rebuttals on this thread (in addition to the others where I've illustrated my finery) as a record of my reasoning for the next Bohemian styled flower child that should wander his way into these forums. Yes, the advice given is wonderful advice for those who seek the look of integrating modern men's skirt fashion with classic Victorian customs.

And it's a fine discipline in itself. Pages taken from the same book that indicates one should not wear white after Labor day, what kind of anniversary gift to buy on any given year, and what those other forks are for in fancy dining sets. However to my knowledge... in that classic Victorian "book" of customs, I don't think there is any section regarding the proper way for a man to wear a skirt, save for the kilt perhaps. So we basically reference the section on the proper way for a lady to wear clothing.

Two issues I have personally when trying to integrate this into my style: 1) I'm not Victorian minded, and 2) I'm not a lady.

As a young adult, and in my later teenage years, as I began to find my own style, I seemed to gravitate towards the free spirited/simple hillbilly type of mindset. Not just in clothes, but in overall character. A few times on this site, I've been accused of looking like I just "threw something on" with no regard to style. Well, in fact, that's basically what I do. Oh sure, I have my boundaries. There are some garments that I don't like, and thus won't wear them. But I (as many do in Appalachia) don't pay much mind to trying to match this with that, and so on and so forth. There are better ways to spend our time, like searching for a cool spot along a creek to swim or fish, walking through the forest and communing with nature, which by the way has a VERY wide sense of "style".

So no, I'm not savvy on Victorian customs and style. A good date for me is sitting on the tail gate of an old pickup in the mountains under the stars, drinking anniversary wine from a Dixie cup. I don't keep copies of Vogue and Cosmopolitan magazine laying around, more like National Geographic, and Steven Hawking books. I spend my free time contemplating stars, philosophy, and the nature of the universe... not arbitrary color coordination.

And you have to admit, human "style" is completely arbitrary at it's root. What we find as eye pleasing and acceptable fashion is only the result of gradual culture shifts. Once again, if conformity is our overall goal, then why stop at fabric coordination? Why not just go all the way back to wearing trousers like we've been trained to do?

Also, as a final note: I'm not sure what it's like in you all's part of the country, but around here, people in my income group are known for grocery shopping in their pajamas, (men and women). The women wear tight fitting tanks with their pajama bottoms being 9 months pregnant with their belly sticking out under the shirt, the baby's daddy (we assume) not far behind with his enormous baggy pants hung down below his butt cheeks, tattoo's all over his arms, neck, and unsightly scars all over his skinned head.

So come on guys.... give me some credit here!
As far as style goes... the bar is set pretty low in these parts! 8)
crfriend wrote:I just wouldn't wear it to work.
We don't have to worry about that.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:Well, understand that I'm not trying to pick on Al, I'm merely taking a swing back after decades of being told "you can't shouldn't do that" in regards to clothing.

I also offer up my rebuttals on this thread (in addition to the others where I've illustrated my finery) as a record of my reasoning for the next Bohemian styled flower child that should wander his way into these forums. Yes, the advice given is wonderful advice for those who seek the look of integrating modern men's skirt fashion with classic Victorian customs.

And it's a fine discipline in itself. Pages taken from the same book that indicates one should not wear white after Labor day, what kind of anniversary gift to buy on any given year, and what those other forks are for in fancy dining sets. However to my knowledge... in that classic Victorian "book" of customs, I don't think there is any section regarding the proper way for a man to wear a skirt, save for the kilt perhaps. So we basically reference the section on the proper way for a lady to wear clothing.

Two issues I have personally when trying to integrate this into my style: 1) I'm not Victorian minded, and 2) I'm not a lady.

As a young adult, and in my later teenage years, as I began to find my own style, I seemed to gravitate towards the free spirited/simple hillbilly type of mindset. Not just in clothes, but in overall character. A few times on this site, I've been accused of looking like I just "threw something on" with no regard to style. Well, in fact, that's basically what I do. Oh sure, I have my boundaries. There are some garments that I don't like, and thus won't wear them. But I (as many do in Appalachia) don't pay much mind to trying to match this with that, and so on and so forth. There are better ways to spend our time, like searching for a cool spot along a creek to swim or fish, walking through the forest and communing with nature, which by the way has a VERY wide sense of "style".

So no, I'm not savvy on Victorian customs and style. A good date for me is sitting on the tail gate of an old pickup in the mountains under the stars, drinking anniversary wine from a Dixie cup. I don't keep copies of Vogue and Cosmopolitan magazine laying around, more like National Geographic, and Steven Hawking books. I spend my free time contemplating stars, philosophy, and the nature of the universe... not arbitrary color coordination.

And you have to admit, human "style" is completely arbitrary at it's root. What we find as eye pleasing and acceptable fashion is only the result of gradual culture shifts. Once again, if conformity is our overall goal, then why stop at fabric coordination? Why not just go all the way back to wearing trousers like we've been trained to do?

Also, as a final note: I'm not sure what it's like in you all's part of the country, but around here, people in my income group are known for grocery shopping in their pajamas, (men and women). The women wear tight fitting tanks with their pajama bottoms being 9 months pregnant with their belly sticking out under the shirt, the baby's daddy (we assume) not far behind with his enormous baggy pants hung down below his butt cheeks, tattoo's all over his arms, neck, and unsightly scars all over his skinned head.

So come on guys.... give me some credit here!
As far as style goes... the bar is set pretty low in these parts! 8)
crfriend wrote:I just wouldn't wear it to work.
We don't have to worry about that.

Moon if you have a style that's comfortable for you than don't worry over what others say. Something for everyone on these boards to remember everyone has their own style choices. Some may agree or disagree on how one should wear their own style. Be supportive to each other. We need more people to be on the same sides of the fence if you guys want this to go all the way public so men are not ridiculed by what they wear. I think you look fine Moon if you're happy wearing it than don't worry about anything else. You fixed the pink dress it's more of a Pink dress with a purple texture to it. Now it doesn't look too bad. Still don't like the dress no matter what alterations you do to it but it's you and regardless to me it's just a piece of clothing it doesn't define your character.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

skirtyscot wrote:My tuppence worth, in case you still a little short of advice :D

He knows there's some things I don't like this being one of them. He doesn't go out of his way to piss me off. He knows regardless of what types of clothes he chooses he will always have my support. As for this dress I just don't like it . It's not for him and the color isn't either. Just my HO
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I'm sure Uncle Al was just trying to be helpful and he's right, in the main, it's just that the exceptions are not easy to generate so Carl is right as well. I hl teave made many colour co-ordination faux-pas such as orange trainers and red socks. Just wear what you feel comfortable in and listen to YOH - she will let you know.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Moon, I'm sure Uncle Al was just trying to be helpful and he's right, in the main, it's just that the exceptions are not easy to generate so Carl is right as well. I hl teave made many colour co-ordination faux-pas such as orange trainers and red socks. Just wear what you feel comfortable in and listen to YOH - she will let you know.
Its cool. Im not upset with anyone. Everyone's got a right to an opinion. I was merely illustrating the methods to my madness. I replied because I felt a rebuttal was better than no responce. Simply put I just need to accept the fact that I can't coordinate clothes, have an unusual eye when ot comes to clothes coordination. The sooner I come to peace with that, the better off I'll be. Now that thats been irons out we can get back to the business of having fun.
-Andrea