Purple

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Purple

Post by Elisabetta »

Uncle Al wrote:Great job in color coordination :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

He forgot to mention I picked the skirt out for him. Purple is my favorite color.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I dare say this extremely redneck establishment was strangely friendly like. Not quite what I expected. Unlike my walk in downtown Roanoke the day prior in a much more "quiet" skirt, where many more strange stares were registered, and a few obnoxious laughs from surrounding riff raff.
The more I do this, the more I really believe it's more about the way you behave and interact with those around you than what you're wearing.

A couple of days ago I visited a chap to help out with a dead computer he had (I wound up making one working one out of two dead ones, although there are still some issued to be worked out). I was originally hesitant to wear my usual garb as this guy is 80, and I was worried about credibility problems. I shouldn't have. I opted to wear my long burgundy Mouse Works skirt, purple dress shirt, and one of my black waistcoats, and not an eyelid was batted. At this point, I'm not even sure why I was worried.

Sure, occasionally one will run into a real idiot, but I think those may be fewer and farther between than we may believe.
Perhaps I have misjudged the country folk around here.
"Country folk" entirely pick up on your overall behaviour, and if there's a whiff of insecurity they're likely to pounce on it. If, however, one is entirely composed and confident, stands tall, and does not skulk around I rather suspect that one should have few problems.
My only issue in this skirt was it is indeed a summer like skirt, the fabric is very light, and today it was somewhat windy. It was somewhat of a bear to keep it down at times.
That's just a skill that needs to be mastered. Consider it in the same vein as walking upright and not falling over. If you're going to wear a skirt, learn how to do so gracefully and make it look effortless.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...The more I do this, the more I really believe it's more about the way you behave and interact with those around you than what you're wearing...
Yes, I've found exactly the same.

A friendly smile and a warm greeting overcome almost any initial negative reaction. It tells people you're not a weirdo, just a friendly guy having some off-center fun.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote:Great job in color coordination :D
Thanks Uncle Al!
JennC03 wrote:He forgot to mention I picked the skirt out for him. Purple is my favorite color.
This is correct. She also declares this skirt will be hers.
crfriend wrote:The more I do this, the more I really believe it's more about the way you behave and interact with those around you than what you're wearing.
I can see great truth in this. In fact, it not only applies to wearing a skirt, but generally in any given situation regardless of the attire. Take for example the art of hustling at a flea market, a confident haggler will receive the best bargains, whereas one who is more timid and shy will likely get ripped off, or at least pay the premium. Used car salesmen eat the timid for breakfast.

I feel wearing a skirt in everyday situations is an excellent way to hone confidence. A confident male skirt wearer, wearing his favorite skirt, dealing with a car salesman is sure to give the buyer at least some advantages over the tactics of the seller. If for no other reason it keeps the seller on his toes... "ghee... what do I say?... what kind of man is this? Try not to stare. Is he gay? Is he transgendered? Better not bring it up. Don't want to offend, I really need this sale today"...

Meanwhile you're just sitting there smiling the whole time.

And smile! :D I've found that it's the easiest way to clear a thick atmosphere even when wearing the most scandalous of skirts. Be upbeat and cheerful. Cut up and carry on. Sometimes it's difficult, but it all starts with a smile.

With this, I think this is where dealing "country folk" would be easier than city people. City dwellers tend to be more reserved, more blunt, more uhh... you know "@#$%%20you!" kind of people... bars on the windows and what not. Country folk, if you click with them, you'll be sitting at their dinner table sharing stories if you're not careful. I do believe deep down most country people are good natured, their first impression of someone like me might be that I mean them trouble, that I aim to undermine their way of life. In which I'd love to set the record straight for each of them that should engage me in conversation... that being I only want what they want... to enjoy my life in freedom while avoiding injury to myself and others. And should I sit at that dinner table, I'm sure we'll find common ground somewhere, I do really enjoy Bluegrass music after all. And I fly a Gadsden flag once in a while.... not so much lately since the tea party muddied the waters, but it's still tucked away. May give it some air time this spring...

... you know... just to throw the neighbors off! 8)
crfriend wrote:Sure, occasionally one will run into a real idiot, but I think those may be fewer and farther between than we may believe.
They're mostly teenagers from what I have experienced. Those who haven't felt the bite of the real world yet.
crfriend wrote:That's just a skill that needs to be mastered. Consider it in the same vein as walking upright and not falling over. If you're going to wear a skirt, learn how to do so gracefully and make it look effortless.
Hum... I maybe a little clumsy, but I think today's correct course of action would have been to wear a heavier skirt better suited to wind gust. I swear this skirt literally weighs just ounces, and the wind was gusting pretty hard at times. I think I did okay. No major malfunctions, just rather casually strolled with my hands down by my hips to discreetly hold everything down. It's once advantage of being a man, that being long arms. It may sound surprising, but you can tell when a woman who is wearing a skirt normally wears trousers. You can see she clearly has no idea what she's doing. Like the one I saw last year at the antique shop in town climbing a flight of stairs with a floor sweeper. Stepped on the hem with every step. Simply lifting it with her hands would have solved the issue.... come on lady... haven't you ever watched a western!?!?

A good day was had today. :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Such a nice look, Moon. And your stories sure exemplify the thought: "Skirt wearers have more fun!"
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not really purple, in fact, I think it leans on the pink side of the light spectrum, but it does have somewhat of a similar tone. (Don't let the camera fool you, in real life it does lean pinkish, must be the color of the bathroom light making it look darker)

Shortest thing I own. My wife doesn't like it, she says it's too short. I'd like to work up the courage to wear it out somewhere, but I don't know. It's a strange feeling wearing it. I can't feel the hem in that familiar place on my legs, and it makes me feel I'm not wearing anything at all. It creates a psychological modesty issue.

Yes I know the shoes don't go with it. However the shoes don't bother me.

I also have a semi bad case of "hat head", as I wore this after I got home from work yesterday, and as my hair is getting longer, I'm finding that I have to wear one of those blasted ball caps whenever I go into a deli or meat room. I tried to comb it out, it helped a little.

Interestingly, it bears a striking resemblance in design to the ancient Roman tunic that men wore all of the time. Granted, there's weren't pinkish, but the shape is similar. Personally, I can't see why men can't get back on board with this....

Maybe it's because Jesus was crucified by men wearing these things.... *shrugs*
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:Image

Not really purple, in fact, I think it leans on the pink side of the light spectrum, but it does have somewhat of a similar tone. (Don't let the camera fool you, in real life it does lean pinkish, must be the color of the bathroom light making it look darker)

Shortest thing I own. My wife doesn't like it, she says it's too short. I'd like to work up the courage to wear it out somewhere, but I don't know. It's a strange feeling wearing it. I can't feel the hem in that familiar place on my legs, and it makes me feel I'm not wearing anything at all. It creates a psychological modesty issue.

Yes I know the shoes don't go with it. However the shoes don't bother me.

I also have a semi bad case of "hat head", as I wore this after I got home from work yesterday, and as my hair is getting longer, I'm finding that I have to wear one of those blasted ball caps whenever I go into a deli or meat room. I tried to comb it out, it helped a little.

Interestingly, it bears a striking resemblance in design to the ancient Roman tunic that men wore all of the time. Granted, there's weren't pinkish, but the shape is similar. Personally, I can't see why men can't get back on board with this....

Maybe it's because Jesus was crucified by men wearing these things.... *shrugs*

\I absolutely hate this piece of attire. Nothing personal to you but it looks like something a tennis player would wear as it's extremely short especially in the back. I also think the color it's self isn't you. What I mean by this is like the darker colors look way better on you. I think with your body structure Moon it would be best sticking to skirts unless you can find dresses that fit your body a little better. In this dress No offense or bashing here just giving an honest opinion as your wife. Your belly pokes out too much making you look like a young expecting mother. I'd rather tell you the truth than cover it up with a lie. I love you and I do support whatever decisions you make in your life but in my 100% honest opinion this is why I don't like the dress. It's just not you.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Not really purple, in fact, I think it leans on the pink side of the light spectrum, but it does have somewhat of a similar tone. (Don't let the camera fool you, in real life it does lean pinkish, must be the color of the bathroom light making it look darker)
To my eyes, and on the monitor I'm using, I'd be tempted to place that colour somewhere in the "magenta" range. I like that colour, but there's a whole lot of it there.

I also notice you've drawn the "gorilla in a dress" comment from your wife (I was called that one, too, recall -- and had it coming).

That said, let's dissect the thing as I saw it in my first impression: Taken in all at once I did find it jarring, but that's because there are so many elements in play all at once.

The entire garment is precisely the same shade, and definitely defined it as a dress -- there can be no denying it. It's sleeveless, but so are singlets (aka "wife-beaters"). It's short, but I have skirts that length that work reasonably well. It flares, but ditto. The fabric is of a type that guy's don't typically wear outside of "athletic situations", but ultimately, so what. There's nothing to really set the waist off, and that's unusual on a guy.

For grins, try it with a shirt underneath or with a belt to break things up a bit.
There is a heck of a lot of skin in play with that, and that facet alone is likely causing some of those misgivings. Women are "allowed" to reveal a fairly large amount of skin and guys typically aren't in our society, and I believe it's a safe assumption that notion may be the underlying reason for your discomfort with it. That the garment has body to it and doesn't drape down on the legs will definitely create that sort of apprehension as well, although you will probably get used to it over time (It'd be interesting to hear how women deal with the issue, as it's got to bother them, too. I have no-one to ask now.)

So, yes, it's a tennis dress. If you're uncomfortable with it the way it is, add something (or a few things) and see if that improves it. Finally, even if you can never bring yourself to wear it out in public (I'd have a hard time wearing it "out and about", but that's just me) it's probably quite comfortable for wearing around the house in hot weather.

Don't worry about the small paunch; that does favours with modesty a few inches below when wearing stuff that's clingy. More people carry a bit there than don't; it shows you work for a living and don't spend all the time getting buffed at the gym.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Not really purple, in fact, I think it leans on the pink side of the light spectrum, but it does have somewhat of a similar tone. (Don't let the camera fool you, in real life it does lean pinkish, must be the color of the bathroom light making it look darker)
To my eyes, and on the monitor I'm using, I'd be tempted to place that colour somewhere in the "magenta" range. I like that colour, but there's a whole lot of it there.

I also notice you've drawn the "gorilla in a dress" comment from your wife (I was called that one, too, recall -- and had it coming).

That said, let's dissect the thing as I saw it in my first impression: Taken in all at once I did find it jarring, but that's because there are so many elements in play all at once.

The entire garment is precisely the same shade, and definitely defined it as a dress -- there can be no denying it. It's sleeveless, but so are singlets (aka "wife-beaters"). It's short, but I have skirts that length that work reasonably well. It flares, but ditto. The fabric is of a type that guy's don't typically wear outside of "athletic situations", but ultimately, so what. There's nothing to really set the waist off, and that's unusual on a guy.

For grins, try it with a shirt underneath or with a belt to break things up a bit.
There is a heck of a lot of skin in play with that, and that facet alone is likely causing some of those misgivings. Women are "allowed" to reveal a fairly large amount of skin and guys typically aren't in our society, and I believe it's a safe assumption that notion may be the underlying reason for your discomfort with it. That the garment has body to it and doesn't drape down on the legs will definitely create that sort of apprehension as well, although you will probably get used to it over time (It'd be interesting to hear how women deal with the issue, as it's got to bother them, too. I have no-one to ask now.)

So, yes, it's a tennis dress. If you're uncomfortable with it the way it is, add something (or a few things) and see if that improves it. Finally, even if you can never bring yourself to wear it out in public (I'd have a hard time wearing it "out and about", but that's just me) it's probably quite comfortable for wearing around the house in hot weather.

Don't worry about the small paunch; that does favours with modesty a few inches below when wearing stuff that's clingy. More people carry a bit there than don't; it shows you work for a living and don't spend all the time getting buffed at the gym.

I didn't refer to him as a gorilla in a dress. I simply stated that with the way his body is this dress may not be the right dress for him. For example I'm not sure of the guys name on here but his style of dresses is absolutely amazing. It goes with his body type and fits his body very nicely. So please don't refer to what I say as calling my husband a gorilla in a dress. I never once implied he was that.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Okay, so implementing some idea's.... I put in a regular black t-shirt under the dress, and then layered under a regular black skirt. All the black should also set off the shoes too.

Here is the result (not having a hat head also helps)

----

Now, at Kilted Johns suggestion (on flicker), I added a belt...

I like the way the belt looks, however there are no belt hooks on this dress, so it's up to me to keep the belt in place. It has to be worn high, because that's where the waist is set on the dress, it looks silly if it's lowered. Since there are no belt hooks, I have to draw it rather tight to keep it in place. At it's current position it is in no danger of falling, in fact, it may ride up.

I wore it in the yard a little today moving some stuff around, and worked up a pretty good sweat. Honestly, I would have rather worn it without the black undergarments just so the thing could breath a little easier, but by the same token, I must admit, I wasn't as nervous while wearing it. It felt at least somewhat more modest. I may wear it tonight when we shop, not sure yet.

Luna (the cat) seems to approve....
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As far as wearing it without the undergarments, I don't think I want to wear it somewhere very populated, like a busy shopping center or park. I think I'll probably just reserve it for hikes and nature walks in the national forest.
crfriend wrote:Women are "allowed" to reveal a fairly large amount of skin and guys typically aren't in our society, and I believe it's a safe assumption that notion may be the underlying reason for your discomfort with it.
Yes, I believe that is it exactly. And it's a bit of social conditioning I wish I could jettison. However upon thinking about it today, I realize the skirt would draw attention regardless of who was wearing it, even young ladies. They would just get a different kind of attention, but oh yes.... it's a head turner.

Also, it's not the type of dress that suits many women either. Not to be mean sounding, but many women also have guts similar to mine. The only difference is they typically have larger breast which defines their shape as "womanly", however I have noticed in my casual observation, most women that I see DO NOT have the stereotypical "hour glass" shape that we think they do. In fact, many women, especially up here in Appalachia, can have a figure that looks almost downright manly. Complete with the "spare tire" around their waist, and stocky shoulders. Very rarely do I see a woman with a very well defined "hour glass". These "average" women may also look a little sloppy in such a dress, however they can still get away with wearing it... because they're a woman.. Not very fair, not very fair at all.

And yes, for the life of me, I can't understand how the masses proclaim us to be a conservative Christian nation, and yet we tolerate downright skimpy clothes on women and girls, and yet men had better keep their legs covered to the knee... and yet we can still walk around without a shirt on??

I think I said it in another thread...

People are strange.

Someone hold my feet and grab me a broom stick so I can try to reach that pendulum of society.... these double standards are killing me.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JennC03 wrote:I didn't refer to him as a gorilla in a dress. I simply stated that with the way his body is this dress may not be the right dress for him.
The comment has become a bit of a metaphor here, and it wasn't meant as a literal quote. In general, it gets applied when one receives withering criticism whether or not it's warranted. (In my personal case, the literal crack was entirely warranted, but extremely funny nonetheless.)

If one is going to actively experiment with unfamiliar or untried things, inevitably the occasional gaffe will get committed; that just goes with the territory. The lesson for the astute is to take the blunder in stride, learn from it, and adjust one's tactics going forward -- BUT not to give up on the exploration, for if we do that we cease to evolve [0] and learn as individuals and as a species.
For example I'm not sure of the guys name on here but his style of dresses is absolutely amazing. It goes with his body type and fits his body very nicely. So please don't refer to what I say as calling my husband a gorilla in a dress. I never once implied he was that.
See above. I think the chap you're recalling from here is the late Jack Williams who had an impressive sense of style and panache. There have been a few others as well, and many years before -- when this was still Tom's Cafe -- there was a chap who'd actually mastered wearing ice-skaters' rigs and made them look pretty darned good. I am not one of those. The real old-timers will likely recall his name.

[0] OMG! He said a dirty word!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm cool... I like the dress both ways... I got my skin toughened up on the white dress thread. And Carl, the black set it off, I like it either way.... black trim when I want to look slightly more modest, as well as give the look some pop, and plain when I want more air flow on those really hot days (and hikes).

One thing I DO like about the dress is it looks like it's made of a fabric that a) hugs the body and b) should dry fast, so I'm thinking it might be perfect for dips in the river. And since it's a dress, I don't have to worry about it sliding off, and it's short enough to not have to worry about it getting tangled around my legs.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think there's also a size problem with the dress. In the first image, it seems to be riding up a bit in the bodice (taking the rest of it as well) and creating problems in the chest area and around the arms. It also conforms to your waist, which seems somewhat on the high side (but altogether within the normal envelope for humans); your comment about the man's belt in the second image seemingly wanting to "rise" is a verification of this as you placed the belt where you thihnk your waist is (Hint: embrace nature in this; there's little point in fighting if you're going to wear anything tight.), and your impression is low.

Both men and women have waistlines, but it's another place where the average (or "normal") difference varies all over the place; you just have to find your own, and then get clothes that work with it unless you're going to wear sacks or tents (I hate this problem with modern men's dress shirts -- they're all bloomin' tents, even the so-called "fitted" ones) or make your own garments from scratch (viz that magnificent job one seamstress/designer constructed for a pal of hers for a wedding).

The black underneath the top I think worked quite well; however, having the black hem poking out from under the dress I feel detracted from the whole thing. I'd attack the problem in phases and address torso and legs separately.

For the belt, I think I'd have used either a sash or a fabric belt of some kind. In this case, it's not a structural necessity (i.e. nothing is going to fall off if there isn't something there) but rather an accessory in it's purest meaning, and you can place it wherever your whim suits. "Belt loops" for accessories can be as light as loops of embroidery floss or heavy enough to attach a sword-scabbard to, but I suspect light would work best. (Instead of a traditional men's belt with buckle, try a bathrobe-sash to see how it looks (and recall that it doesn't have to tie directly in front) or even a heavy piece of yarn.) Just for giggles, I once used a length of 10Base-T Ethernet cable with a joining-connector as a "belt" once which got the desired cracks and laughter (the "fastener" actually worked).

Finally, and I'm hesitant to mention this, but if one is to go short one needs to be mindful that some level of exposure is likely, and to wear underthings that will mitigate the situation. For many styles, dark is probably your friend; however, in the case of a tennis-dress (which is an athletic garment, recall) matching colour might work better (especially with something as loud as this example). (Another example of double-standards: women are allowed articles in the bikini range; a guy in a Speedo will get accused of smuggling small birds.)

So, there are some ideas, and the key one I think is to "know your body" and be able to figure out how to gracefully hang things off of it. (And, if you really hate your body you're doomed no matter what.)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm just wondering why the black outfit wasn't enough? But I did prefer the look sans belt.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...