Purple

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Purple

Post by Kilted_John »

There's nothing wrong with doing pattern explosions from time to time. I do it frequently. As an example, floral print scarf used as a hair tie (remember, long hair that needs to be restrained), leopard print knee-length skirt (or a polka dot version of the same), then either argyle or striped kneesocks.

Yes, it's loud, and probably jarring to those who prefer not to mix stuff. Might make some people's heads spin. At the same time, that kind of stuff tends to do well over at the Lookbook site. It's also a part of my personal style that I've developed over almost 15 years of not being stuck in trousered clothing. Would I wear it to an interview, or in an office sitation, probably not. In fact, with an interview, I'd be more likely to wear trousered clothing (maybe a pair of black silk walking shorts from the distaff side with matching trouser socks and nice shoes, since I don't like long pants).

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

See now... I like that look (then again... I would :lol: ) That's just the type of thing I'd not hesitate to wear. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for dark hunter greens, my favorite color. The socks are cool too.

The only curiosity of have about you John... is I've never seen you smile in a photo. :)

Nice to see I'm not the only crazy one on the board....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

moonshadow wrote:See now... I like that look (then again... I would :lol: ) That's just the type of thing I'd not hesitate to wear. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for dark hunter greens, my favorite color. The socks are cool too.

The only curiosity of have about you John... is I've never seen you smile in a photo. :)

Nice to see I'm not the only crazy one on the board....
Go for it. I'm not sure if that style of sock is still available, but the rest should be pretty easy to find on the 'bay.

lol, well...

1) have to wait 10 seconds for the self-timer to fire
2) prefer to have either a bored look or a poker face so no one knows what I'm thinking.

Hehe, I'll wear that as a badge of honor... ;-)
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

JennC03 has hit the nail on the head -
JennC03 wrote:....it's just a piece of clothing - it doesn't define your character.
This thought needs to be spread through out 'modern' society.
Once this is accepted by the masses, men will no longer have
a reason for NOT wearing a skirt/kilt. Women are more accepting
of this than are men, who can't think 'out-side-of-the box'.

Style vs Practicality and today's society - -
In most cases men & women no longer have the need to forage
for food or shelter. We no longer have to ride horses for travel.
The pants/trousers were designed to protect the legs, keeping
them from chafing when riding a horse. Now the only 'horses'
I have are under the hood of my car ;)

Yes Moon, with that outfit, you would've fit right in at Woodstock.
You just didn't wear 'flowers in your hair'. :hide:

Hippie/Bohemian style is great for a very 'laid-back' day to one's self.
But at 65, this is not a style I would want to wear except around the
house. Sometimes I do just that - but would not step foot out the door.

Each piece of your outfit would look better when paired with a solid
color. People notice these things, thus, some would not give you
the time of day with a 'hippie' look. I wasn't being critical of your
outfit other than, from experience, could considerably improve the look.
Yes, I'm a bit conservative when it comes to coordinating colors but
when I was much younger, I was out flying acrobatics. Haven't done
that in 45 years so would not try it any more.
( :hmmm: - so what does flying acrobatics got to do with the price of eggs :?: )
Those were my 'freestyle' days where I really didn't care what others thought.
That was MY 'flower-power' ;)

So, Moon, if Hippie/Bohemian is your style and mantra - GO FOR IT :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:Hippie/Bohemian style is great for a very 'laid-back' day to one's self. But at 65, this is not a style I would want to wear except around the house. Sometimes I do just that - but would not step foot out the door.
It all depends on execution. Of note is that I have several tiered skirts (which are widely recognised as "Bohemian") as well as several very light summer-weight skirts (e.g. my "peacock-feather" skirt) which might also count. I greatly enjoy those things, and actively integrate them into my everyday wardrobe when the temperature will allow; I just pair them off with styles that send a "non-Bohemian" signal to damp the overall appearance down.

It's not about one piece -- i.e. it's not just about the skirt -- it's about the entire ensemble and how it works on you and how well it works with your own sense of style.

Off-point: I had a nice discussion a week or so ago with a chap who lives in a town a few miles north of me -- and he has bears in his backyard (wild ones, mind). He had sent me a link to a video he took, featuring the bruins, and by coincidence I happened to have Franz Liszt's "Hungarian Rhaposody #2" on in the background, and the confluence of sound and visual were just hilarious. I mentioned it to him, and he said that's he's well aware of Liszt's works (as am I), but I dead-panned a response of, "It's nice, but it's not bohemian enough." to which gales of laughter were had.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote:Yes Moon, with that outfit, you would've fit right in at Woodstock.
Now I take that as a compliment... as that's my aim.
Uncle Al wrote:You just didn't wear 'flowers in your hair'. :hide:
Patience.... they haven't started growing yet, it's still March. Last summer I didn't have any boho skirts to compliment a flowery head, and in addition, my hair wasn't quite long enough to hold them anyway... but this spring... well this spring is different all together, my first spring skirted, and yes, I plan to let my inner flower child run wild and free, to frolic with the spirit of the star Goddess!

:cheers: :flower: :cheers:

Got to get back to the land and set my soul free
We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion year old carbon
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden
Well, then can I walk beside you?
I have come to lose the smog
And I feel myself a cog in somethin' turning
And maybe it's the time of year
But then maybe it's the time of man
And I don't know who I am
But life is for learning

From one of my favorite songs...

Al, I bet you have some cool stories of back in the day. :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I like purple
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I love purple too and it's MOH's favourite colour. There's a picture of me in a purple ensemble in Pics and Looks.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: I wanted to touch on something that I haven't discussed, and in my upbringing, was still considered somewhat of a taboo thing to wear, and it was so simple, it was actually stupid... it was... *gasp* the color purple.

"[/i]
I have a favorite jacket that is purple. I was surprised and pleased when I came across it in a thrift store.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote: I wanted to touch on something that I haven't discussed, and in my upbringing, was still considered somewhat of a taboo thing to wear, and it was so simple, it was actually stupid... it was... *gasp* the color purple[/b

Purple might be a bit more rakish than, say, gray, but so what? Have fun with it!

Just be careful with the other colors you're wearing. Purple can be tricky to coordinate.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Caultron wrote:
moonshadow wrote: I wanted to touch on something that I haven't discussed, and in my upbringing, was still considered somewhat of a taboo thing to wear, and it was so simple, it was actually stupid... it was... *gasp* the color purple[/b

Purple might be a bit more rakish than, say, gray, but so what? Have fun with it!

Just be careful with the other colors you're wearing. Purple can be tricky to coordinate.

that is the nice thing about caftans being that they are
a one piece garment no need to try to coordinate colors
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

i've got a new purple dress. love it
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Bamaskirting wrote:i've got a new purple dress. love it
I recently picked one up myself! I too enjoy it.
-Andrea
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

and I got more purple Caftans
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Excellent! I love it!

Purple is the best colour.
Keep on skirting,