Men in Tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Men in Tights

Post by Gordon »

Yes it is a hilarious movie, but is not the subject of this post.

Of course I'm referring to men wearing tights or pantyhose. I love them, I wear them whenever possible. I just love the feeling on my legs. I've bought many different brands over the years. I've always heard that the Wolford brand was the best you could buy, but are they expensive.

I found that they are having a sale so I bought a pair of Wolford Satin Touch 20. They are normally around $35, but I got them for $20.
I take the XXL size and not all of their styles come in sizes to fit me.

Holy cow are these nice. They feel so much better than other brands. It's a whole new experience. Will I be happy with the "others" after this? Can I afford to buy Wolfords from now on? I'll have to be as I can't afford Wolfords all the time.

Here is the link; http://www.wolfordshop.com/product/bout ... 378/Outlet

I suggest you try them out if you're a tights/pantyhose wearing man like me.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in Tights

Post by Ray »

Wolford are indeed excellent. The Satin Touch tights are great. Try also the Magic Touch 12, sheer 15 and synergy light 25 tights. All are excellent. Oh, and the Neon40 tights are about as glossy as it gets! Finally, you need to try once in your life the Fatal 15 seamless tights.

Other brands of quality to try are Falke, Ceclia de Rafael, Trasparenze and Gerbe. All are excellent.

(Sorry, but I was a hosiery fan before I started wearing skirts. I have a LOT of pairs of tights at home!)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As much as I'd love to have Wolfords, I'm a big clumsy country boy and pretty hard on tights, and clothing in general. I'm always getting close to stuff with snags or grease and never realize it until the garment damage is done. The most expensive tights I have are some Spanx bought on sale from 6PM.com, and maybe the new fishnets. All less than $15, though.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I’m no big fan of pantyhose, myself. But I’ll wear them when weather dictates. Somehow there are more and more days when I think I need them, however. :wink:

I only wear solid coloured black and dark-grey ones and I will buy them at H&M.

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

dillon wrote:As much as I'd love to have Wolfords, I'm a big clumsy country boy and pretty hard on tights, and clothing in general.
This, and more. I have to be content with whatever cheap stuff I can get at Walmart, because they tear to shreds under my oafish treatment very quickly. In addition to being large and clumsy, I also don't shave any part of my body so the leg hair is rough on fabrics, and because I still live like a bachelor after 25+ years of marriage, I just leave my dirty clothes in a pile on the floor until I do laundry -- so tights, flimsy nylon underthings, skirts and dresses get stepped on and kicked around and rolled over with the wheels of the chair in my home office. Then they all go into one big load in the washer, who cares about delicates or permanent press or whatever?

This is why guys can't have nice things :D
Ralph!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Well, I guess it's not manly to admit it, but I do separate my colors and wash skirts, tights, slips, workout capris, etc, on delicate. Though I don't much give a damn how I wash my jeans, shorts, etc.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On tights... I only wear them when I want a specific look, or if weather dictates (cold or chilly)

I've been in the market for some horizontal stripped tights for a while now but can't find them anywhere except for online. I was really wanting to hold it in my hand before I purchased to make sure the fabric is what I'm after. I'd like to find something thick, not thin so that the white doesn't show through. Not such a big deal now since I've been shaving my legs, but still I want something warm.

On laundry

Pre-skirt wearing days.... it all goes together, greasy work clothes, weekend t-shirts, PANTS, socks, underwear.... all together, I'd throw them in the basket, on the floor, kick them out of the way, you name it.

Then along came skirts. All of my other clothes get the old treatment, but the skirts are handled with care. I've even got a few that the tag says to hand wash, and I do! They are the "royalty" of my wardrobe. At this point in my life, if someone told me I had to start over, and I could only take three bottoms, and three tops, I choose my favorite three skirts, and my favorite three shirts.

Sometimes I'll mix the skirts with some of my personal "cleaner" clothes like nice shirts, socks, or underwear, but NEVER EVER EVER with my nasty work clothes!

In fact I've been thinking about washing my nasty work clothes in a public laundry mat as I don't even like the idea of my nicer skirts sharing the same machine with all that nasty chicken fryer grease and mixer oil.

Pants are for work, and visiting my backwards family!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A more insulating type of tights are leggings.
Leggings are made with almost skin tight fabric replicating denim and other fashionable weave.
Some may have pockets; printed or faux non functional pockets and even small not very usable pockets.
Detailing at the leg hem - some may have a zipper closing and others may have lace.
Add a stirrup and you have stirrup pants which is another critter that may have that tight fitting leg molding.

All these will enable the wearer to whether the weather better than nylon tights also known as pantyhose.
Tights maybe preferred to leggings in that there is less weighty material getting in the way of tight skirts
and some dresses. I didn't mention Kilts as nothing is of course worn underneath these ! LOL !

For the larger blokes getting tights to fit is a task of trial and error and large size pricing !

And there are more colors than the plain ordinary everyday NUDE.
There is a whole Rainbow spectrum of colors.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

On the subject of washing - buy a hosiery bag. Pop your hosiery in the bag. Pop the bag in with pretty much anything you wish. Job done. I'll use my bag for all hosiery that I don't want to be wrecked - from 5 denier sheerness to 60 denier (a thick as I'll go) opaques.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Interesting. I would never have laundry in pillows on the floor or anywhere else unattended for that matter. I simply couldn’t live with it. I therefore on a daily basis sort my laundry into three different baskets and my wife does the same with hers. When enough for a load I or she will wash it and dry it. If ironing is called for I’ll iron my clothes, she hers. And then we put them into our respective wardrobes. Takes no time, really. All types of clothes are treated with the same respect, by the way. But so we are all different. :D
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ray wrote:On the subject of washing - buy a hosiery bag. Pop your hosiery in the bag. Pop the bag in with pretty much anything you wish. Job done. I'll use my bag for all hosiery that I don't want to be wrecked - from 5 denier sheerness to 60 denier (a thick as I'll go) opaques.
I agree. Hosiery bags are essentials in machine washing.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

r.m.anderson wrote:
For the larger blokes getting tights to fit is a task of trial and error and large size pricing !

And there are more colors than the plain ordinary everyday NUDE.
There is a whole Rainbow spectrum of colors.
This is my problem with tights, pantyhose, leggings, whatever. I can find ones that I can put on, fit is a whole 'nother question! If they fit over the hips, and around the crotch, they tend to be too roomy at waist level and slide down. Even ones that are close to fitting, don't feel comfortable because they tend to constrict. I've had much better luck with stay ups or thigh highs, or stockings, but they are terribly difficult to find in the opacity and weight of fabric I look for. Had some good luck lately, found some "Sarah Borghi" which is a brand I have seen nowhere else, in a Winners clearance store. 2 types, a cashmere blend stocking, very warm, and a smoother nylon blend stay up that looks very nice, slight sheen. Got some in grey, black, and sadly only one in brown. They are extremely well sized, and stretchy, the size 4s are perfect, and even the size 3s are quite acceptable. Pretty amazing as I have long legs and about 23" around at the thigh. The cashmere blend ones stay up well enough that they can work as over the knee socks, but I usually use them with a garter belt. Garter belts are another problem as finding decent looking ones that fit, look good, but not too frilly, is a job in itself. I have found that it is best most times to go DOWN a size, else they try to slide off your hips. Exception to this is the Rago pull on ones, buy those in your waist size!

Finally, I've taken pairs of XL opaque tights, cut the legs off, folded down a small hem, and held them stretched out on the sewing machine and gone round with a zig zag stitch. Took a little bit of practice, but now I can have stockings in the colours I want. Getting used to wearing them in public is a bit unusual, I get much more attention when wearing any kind of legwear under my skirts. I was lining up behind some guy at a store checkout a few days ago, and he seemed fascinated by my argyle patterned "tights" He kept half turning and stealing looks, never said a word, didn't seem to have a major problem with it, just couldn't believe his eyes I think!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

-sighs- No one said being beautiful would be easy... :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:-sighs- No one said being beautiful would be easy... :D
At least we get to laugh about it. The gals feel the need to obsess. :lol:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:-sighs- No one said being beautiful would be easy... :D
At least we get to laugh about it. The gals feel the need to obsess. :lol:
Well I don't think I obsess, about it, not quite, exactly..... :)

Sometimes I do find it a bit frustrating, not being able to find the right stuff in my size, and there is also that search for a look, a balance between what I can see in my imagination, what's possible, and what works.

Mostly, it is very enjoyable, wandering around the thrift stores and so on, and I do enjoy being able to go out in a skirt, weird looks and double takes included. If nothing else, it has done wonders for my confidence in dealing with people. :D