A dress happened

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A dress happened

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I second what the others have said, that look really suits you.
I also know what you mean about how they feel; GREAT. Most of the time when I go out in a skirt or a dress, it's a dress.

Saturday I picked up two short-sleeved coat dresses at a vintage store. Because they were on the 1/2 price racks I picked up the pair for $23. I feel like I should be doing time for the bargains I got; one is double-breasted and the other is full-length and 100% silk.
I was able to reverse the buttons on the double-breasted number so it now buttons on the man's side. I paired it with a turquoise ascot I picked up at the same vintage store and used my Spruce Goose tie tack as a lapel pin. When I was finished putting it all together I realized, "Oh my God! I look like a flight attendant!" "What the heck," I thought, "we've all adored them as icons of style and panache, right?"
Sure enough a couple of ladies at church told me I looked like a flight attendant from back in the day, way back in the day so I decided, what the heck, I was dressed like a "stew!" I wish that I had gotten someone to take a picture of me so I could share it with you all and with the salesperson at the vintage store. I guess wearing a dress to church has become so second nature that having a picture taken would disrupt the flow.
Btw JeffB, how do you take those great selfies?
Btw, everyone else, have you noticed how men say almost nothing about what each other is wearing, but women give compliments to one another all the time?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Yes, the feeling that comes from wearing a dress is tremendous, and I'm eager to wear them more. As for that outfit you wore to church, it sounds really cool, I can envision that stewardess look and I think it must've been awesome. Good for you! As for the pictures I take, nothing fancy or special, just a thirteen year old point and shoot camera with a ten second timer on a thirty dollar tripod. I do a lot of practice with poses which helps with the pictures I take. And yeah, I do notice men rarely, if ever compliment each other about what they wear, I guess they don't consider that sort of thing to be "manly".
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JeffB1959 wrote:Pdxfashionpioneer: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Yes, the feeling that comes from wearing a dress is tremendous, and I'm eager to wear them more. As for that outfit you wore to church, it sounds really cool, I can envision that stewardess look and I think it must've been awesome. Good for you! As for the pictures I take, nothing fancy or special, just a thirteen year old point and shoot camera with a ten second timer on a thirty dollar tripod. I do a lot of practice with poses which helps with the pictures I take. And yeah, I do notice men rarely, if ever compliment each other about what they wear, I guess they don't consider that sort of thing to be "manly".
I think that's true to an extent but not the whole story. I think most hetero men really dont look at each other, and if they do, they don't notice clothing, unless it varies from the expected "uniform"of the organization, or makes a flagrant statement (like a Panthers jersey in downtown Denver). Men dress only as they must for their jobs, at most levels. In professional and academic worlds, fashion becomes a bit more about making a statement and reflecting their interests or status. So unless it is something like a new tailored suit, or new work boots or expensive sneakers, or something that otherwise functions or holds meaning within the organization or environment, men just don't see it. Further, they aren't conditioned or socialized to notice or comment. But if a woman should wear a short skirt or tight top, they notice, though hopefully most are cautious in the extent of comment or attention, at the peril of boorishness or harassment.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

dillon wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:Pdxfashionpioneer: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Yes, the feeling that comes from wearing a dress is tremendous, and I'm eager to wear them more. As for that outfit you wore to church, it sounds really cool, I can envision that stewardess look and I think it must've been awesome. Good for you! As for the pictures I take, nothing fancy or special, just a thirteen year old point and shoot camera with a ten second timer on a thirty dollar tripod. I do a lot of practice with poses which helps with the pictures I take. And yeah, I do notice men rarely, if ever compliment each other about what they wear, I guess they don't consider that sort of thing to be "manly".
I think that's true to an extent but not the whole story. I think most hetero men really dont look at each other, and if they do, they don't notice clothing, unless it varies from the expected "uniform"of the organization, or makes a flagrant statement (like a Panthers jersey in downtown Denver). Men dress only as they must for their jobs, at most levels. In professional and academic worlds, fashion becomes a bit more about making a statement and reflecting their interests or status. So unless it is something like a new tailored suit, or new work boots or expensive sneakers, or something that otherwise functions or holds meaning within the organization or environment, men just don't see it. Further, they aren't conditioned or socialized to notice or comment. But if a woman should wear a short skirt or tight top, they notice, though hopefully most are cautious in the extent of comment or attention, at the peril of boorishness or harassment.
Well said, dillon. I agree with everything you said.
Befanie

Post by Befanie »

moonshadow wrote:Took a $25 roll of the dice today on ebay, after an unsuccessful weekend of dress hunting. According to the dimensions, I calculate it should fit. It may be a bit on the long side, but that's easily hemmed. I really hope it fits and works on my body as I really like the look, and would hate to have to turn around and donate it.

No pictures, no links, it's a surprise! And if it doesn't pass "the mirror test", you'll never know! 8) In fact, it's going to my personal UPS box in Bristol, so I will try it on in my privacy, if it works, then I'll out it. If not, then it goes into the boneyard of Moonshadow's epic fails.

Not planning on going full board into dresses, but I feel I have enough skirts to add at least a couple of dresses in my collection.

Coming from L.A. California, so I expect it to arrive sometime next week.
Just a thought Moonshadow, have you tried thrift shopping?

I have been wearing skirt for years, but only recently started with dresses & I must admit I failed a lot. I spent so much money buying online only to be so disappointed when the dresses arrived.
If you buy in thrift shops, you don't have to wait & generally you pay a lot less. I must have now 100 dresses, although only happy to go out in about half of them.
I pay between NZ$1 - $30 for dresses ($30 has to be really special :D) On average, I have paid NZ$5 per dress.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Befanie wrote:Just a thought Moonshadow, have you tried thrift shopping?

I have been wearing skirt for years, but only recently started with dresses & I must admit I failed a lot. I spent so much money buying online only to be so disappointed when the dresses arrived.
If you buy in thrift shops, you don't have to wait & generally you pay a lot less. I must have now 100 dresses, although only happy to go out in about half of them.
I pay between NZ$1 - $30 for dresses ($30 has to be really special ) On average, I have paid NZ$5 per dress.
Oh yes, I have, well at least for skirts. I have yet to purchase a dress at a thrift shop. It's easy for a dress to fail on a man. They are, by their own design mostly not made for a man's body. The three dresses I have all have small (practically flat) bust area's which works on my body. Two of them are sleeveless which is preferable as for some reason women's sleeves tend to be quite constrictive and don't offer the range of movement that men's shirts allow. I also notice on a lot of long sleeve dresses, if you pay close attention, the sleeve terminates about half way between the elbow and wrist, and is normally tight where the sleeve ends.

The one from L.A. has small sleeves, but I believe it's made of rayon so it's somewhat accommodating. It is a tall slender black dress, I had to cut and hem about 3" off the bottom to make it to where it doesn't drag the ground. It fits pretty well, and looks somewhat formal. I am having a difficult time deciding what occasion would be suitable to wear it on. This is a dress that a woman might wear for a night out on the town, first date, etc. Somehow the thought of me just wearing it while grocery shopping doesn't seem suitable for the dress. I have not modeled the dress as of yet, but probably will when the weather warms up.

The issue with formal dresses, as pretty as they are, is they are made for formal occasions, such as a fine restaurant, or visiting the downtown district of a city. Unfortunately, the only "downtown" type of establishments this attire would be suitable on (for a man) would be probably homosexual night clubs... which isn't really my bag. Any place other than that, and we'd probably be thrown out, and wind up eating at a McDonalds.

I have another "semi formal" dress. Well, it's not really formal I suppose. It's a white sleeveless tiered dress. It's more of a summer time (hot weather) dress as it's somewhat light and airy. It's very pretty, and is another dress that seems like it was made to go special places, not just the daily grind. If it were a darker color, it would be perfect for tromps through the woods, but being pearly white, that would lend it to some nasty stains. I have entertained the idea of having it tie died. I think it would look very cool.

A lot of dresses seem to be made almost like over sized shirts, with the hem falling between the hips and knee. My style of dress is the more traditional dress that falls to the ankles. These are somewhat difficult to find. Those that are out there seem to be large busted which again won't work for me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:The issue with formal dresses, as pretty as they are, is they are made for formal occasions, such as a fine restaurant, or visiting the downtown district of a city. Unfortunately, the only "downtown" type of establishments this attire would be suitable on (for a man) would be probably homosexual night clubs... which isn't really my bag. Any place other than that, and we'd probably be thrown out, and wind up eating at a McDonalds.
I've explored wanting to wear a formal dress or cocktail dress, something fancy for dinner at fancy downtown restaurant or an evening at the orchestra. Done right, I can make something like that work and work well. I have a couple of nice and pretty jacket dresses that would also do well for occasions such as I've mentioned. I've even contemplated wearing a bodycon, but I don't know if I can make that work. Dresses are certainly the next step in my overall evolution as a fashion freestyler.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Moonshadow, You have correctly observed that most women's long sleeves do in fact usually end between the elbow and wrist. These are more coorectly known as 3/4 sleeves which is what is generally used. I have found some true long sleeve dresses but the catch is that there is usually some other detail that restricts them from general wear. One that I have is a very tight fit which I like but it has a dort of T back that is open, except for the T from the shoulder line down to the bra line area sorta like an open back but with a T back design. Not exactly a dress that I would wear out but it's fine around teh house. The fabric is a sort of velour so it's very warm to wear but it is not overly hot for the summer time either. Just keep looking if you want a long sleeve dress they are out there, they are just hard to find.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Tonight, (well actually REALLY early in the morning) 2AM....

I sit here folding my laundry and I hear the wind gusting outside. 60MPH burst. I had to do it.....

Slipped on my white sleeveless dress and proceeded to walk outside. At 2AM I've got the world to myself. It's slightly chilly and I didn't wear a jacket, just me and the dress. It's just not every day that the wind is howling, and you've got an entire neighborhood to yourself.

I stood on a small rock looking over the RV park and creek, and stared at the sky as the gust flustered about the dress.

What a magickal experience! I swear this is the way God intended human's to dress. Would love to be on White Top Mountain tonight in the garment, standing on that treeless bluff, looking over the North Carolina border. Umm um um.... maybe tonight in my dreams....

Actually... maybe this should go in the poetry thread! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:Tonight, (well actually REALLY early in the morning) 2AM....

I sit here folding my laundry and I hear the wind gusting outside. 60MPH burst. I had to do it.....

Slipped on my white sleeveless dress and proceeded to walk outside. At 2AM I've got the world to myself. It's slightly chilly and I didn't wear a jacket, just me and the dress. It's just not every day that the wind is howling, and you've got an entire neighborhood to yourself.

I stood on a small rock looking over the RV park and creek, and stared at the sky as the gust flustered about the dress.

What a magickal experience! I swear this is the way God intended human's to dress. Would love to be on White Top Mountain tonight in the garment, standing on that treeless bluff, looking over the North Carolina border. Umm um um.... maybe tonight in my dreams....

Didn't you feel cold? In that situation a long-sleeved dress might feel more comfortable.
らき☆
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I stood on a small rock looking over the RV park and creek, and stared at the sky as the gust flustered about the dress.

I still have fond memories from when I first ventured out into the yard wearing my home-made mini. The sensation of the wind around my legs and getting up into places it never did before was simply sublime. My comment to my then-SO when I came back inside was, "I've been cheated all these years."

That was a long time ago, and I don't wear minis all that often, but maybe this summer I'll change that. Who knows. Time will tell. I still miss the sensation, but sub-freezing temperatures pretty much put that on the back-burner for now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Judah14 wrote:Didn't you feel cold? In that situation a long-sleeved dress might feel more comfortable.
It was a bit chilly, especially when the wind got up. Ahh, but that's the point my friend, to experience Nature in all her splendor. Cold as it was, I also felt alive, and connected to my environment. And it was an experience that I'd say would be difficult to achieve in a pair of trousers or shorts pants. Even a skirt would have had it's limitations, as the wind worked it's way up past the waist line towards the top of the dress.

It becomes clear to me why some of the longest standing philosophical idea's, ideals, text, etc were written by people who experienced the world wearing clothing skirt or dress like. It can be very... astral.
crfriend wrote: "I've been cheated all these years."
So many times since I started this, I have had that same thought. I'm so grateful that I discovered this liberty while I still have (hopefully) a few decades left in this life to enjoy it. I feel some degree of sadness towards the billions of men out there that will never know this feeling. They are missing out on so much. It's not just the clothes... it's the state of mind that is released once one is in said clothes.

To politely disagree with one member... no it's not "just cloth". It can be so much more. It's liberation.

Perhaps that's the problem with this whole thing... perhaps that's why the ultra-conservative types despise it so... it's a step towards freeing the mind. And the last thing the establishment wants is freed minds!
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Aren't we glad we don't have to cheat ourselves any longer? We grow too soon old, and too late smart...and free.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:We grow too soon old, and too late smart...and free.
I seem to be on a sliding scale, as the older I get, the less my brain seems to function. My spelling is awful.

But I seem to be enjoying myself.

What we wear is special to us. It's what makes us who we are, and one of the traits that separates us from the other animals of the world. I'm happy that skirts are part of the Moon Shadow world now. :)
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:Tonight, (well actually REALLY early in the morning) 2AM....

Well, good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed your experience!