Men in Women's Shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in Women's Shoes

Post by SkirtsDad »

PatJ wrote:SkirtsDad,

Some how that last picture just doesn't look right to me.

I am not concerned about the outfit, but the size of the
picture.

In art class, we were told that the head of the body is about
1/7th of the total height. Your picture is about 1/6th of the
total height. So to me it just doesn't look right.

I don't know if you were leaning forward distorting the picture,
(my depth perception is not the best) or just what. However,
to me the picture just doesn't look right.
Well, there are several aspects at play. Yes I was leaning forward, but also my jaw is extended and my head tilted forward, both increasing the perceived size of my head. Added to that there is the distortion caused by using a fairly wide angle lens at close proximity. As a comparison, here is a shot taken further away that should be closer to actual proportions, although my head is still leaning forward slightly. Please excuse the poor lighting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah give the bloke some room to fit into the frame !
After all to fit in the frame he was having to bend over backward ah er forward and
only SD knows what other motions were required to achieve fashion balance ! LOL !

Taking selfies in a small frame requires some dexterity - at least he has his head in the shot
no headless Photo Crop Shop here !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

At work today. Can hardly even tell I'm wearing L'eggs Sheer Energy, suntan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:At work today. Can hardly even tell I'm wearing L'eggs Sheer Energy, suntan.
Looking good!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Mike, your look is fantastic. Its an outfit that I would wear and have. Though I've not worn heels like that in public. Yet.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Looks great! Though I'm not sure the heels are quite the right footwear in that workshop.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

skirtyscot wrote:Looks great! Though I'm not sure the heels are quite the right footwear in that workshop.
I manage the shop, so I don't get my heels dirty often. I wear boots at home in my own shop. :-)
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

great outfit. I have some 2 1/2 inch heels that i am still working on how long did it take you to be able to stand up on 4 + inch heels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I wore 2" heels for maybe a year, but it only took me an hour or so master the basics.

Then I bought some 3" because they were on sale and those took a little more getting used to. But again, less than a day.

I have a pair of 3-1/2 heels that are fairly comfortable but I'm not sure I'd like anything above that. The higher the heel, the more pressure on the front of your feet, and so the more weight on your big and little toes. Plus, the higher the heel the shorter steps you have to take.

In addition to the smaller steps, you have to walk more slowly and land more on the ball of your foot than on the heel. And you have to balance more with your ankles because you'll be getting less stability at the heels.

Thick heels, maybe an inch or an inch and a quarter wide at the sole, are easier to walk in than spikes. That's because spike heels wobble more, and so you have to depend more on your toes and ankle to stay upright.

I like slanted heels better than straight, because with slanted heels the heel ends up directly under your calf bone. His puts more weight on the heel and less on the toes.

If the shoe hurts in the first minute after you out it on, don't buy it. I've never had luck breaking or stretching high heels to make them comfortable. Fit is much more important with heels than flats, and everyone's foot is shaped differently.

Flexible uppers are more comfortable than stiff uppers, but don't buy shoes so soft that your feet don't get any support.

I find that heels with a large upper opening (i.e. open from the toe joint on up) and no ankle strap tend to fall off as I walk. Some of this is because my right foot is half a size smaller than the left, so when the left shoe doesn't pinch the right shoe is loose. But I could never keep shower sandals or open-back slippers on either, so maybe if you can do that you can keep your open-top heels on too. I've never even tried mules.

When I started wearing heels in public I thought my shoes were getting more attention than my kilts and skirts ever did. But now I'm not so sure. You just have to get used to them, be confident, and be friendly to anyone who notices.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Well, a couple of years ago I wanted a pair of slip-on shoes and no one I stopped at had them in my size. :evil:

I finally made my last stop before home, at Payless. Found some women's penny loafers with a very slight heel. But I got 11Ws. After wearing them for any length of time I recognize they are a wee bit too small. At least a 11.5W perhaps.

So today, I stop and bit the bullet. Got a pair of Athena sneakers.
AthenaSneaker.jpg
Which seem to be perfect. Ken Combs' Running Store took me up from my 9.5 shoes to 10.5 shoes a couple years ago and I think these will look better than my Brook's running shoes while skirting without looking too "girly".

I also decided to try some 'half boots' or whatever you'd call them, with 1.5" heels. :shock:
AmEagleBoot1.5inHeel.jpg
I will also go online and try to find something like the penny loafer I got before that give me that slightly ramped feeling, at about .75" heel but the sole is all one piece with full-length foot support. That may be my long-term solution if my 1.5" "play with the idea" solution seems to work. 8)

My initial thought was something like a pair of cowboy boots, with enough heel to hook a stirrup. ?!

Also looked at a knee-high boot, and may go back to try one this winter to go with the knee-length skirts or slighter higher, that I prefer. :D
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

By all means try the knee high boots. I have 3 pair and LOVE 'EM! I also get lots of compliments for them from women.

Btw, now's the time to get them; everyone seems to have them on sale.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:-----------

If the shoe hurts in the first minute after you out it on, don't buy it. I've never had luck breaking or stretching high heels to make them comfortable. Fit is much more important with heels than flats, and everyone's foot is shaped differently. -----------
Most shoes do not need a break-in period - if you can't wear them out of the box and store right away you are going to be fraught with problems from the get-go !
Fitting the proper length (shoe size number) and width (shoe size letter) is very important as well as health care (toe nail care as well as pre-existing conditions) !
Time of day when shopping for shoes should be considered and whether sox or full length (footed) tights PH are to worn. So don't consider sizing/fitting for shoes when your
tootsies haven't even got out of bed in the AM. Later in the day is recommended when your feet are at their maximum dimensions.
Now as for HIGH HEELS throw the rule book away - you are on your own mission of self inflicted pain UNLESS you have been conditioned for this !
Calf and knee or higher boots can be a problem with the top of the boot being smaller than a large calf displacement - the best relief for this is to look for the
gore splices (these are little elastic panels to make the boot circumference bigger).

And YES Pdxfashionpioneer this is the start of the boot season - if you are wanting something in excess of size 11 women's you may already be out of luck.
Women's size 11 is the top of the usual women's shoe sizing in stock (converts to a men's size 9.5 +/-) !

AND THEN THERE IS ALWAYS EBAY -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Nice outfit Mike!! It looks as if you worked at a sunny beach location. Must feel great to work at a place with such cool dress code.

Just make sure you keep your shop's floor clean and don't slip walking in those heels :-)

Cheers,

Tes
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

For me do woman shoes not so much to me. I like to see them. But my shoes are more like "unisex". Such like Chelsea-ankleboots (I do wear this only under long pants (not to skinny)). Most of my pants are super skinny. Small lace boots (close to combat boots), black canvas shoes, sportshoes (not like Nike air) that are the shoes, I dress often.
DonP

Post by DonP »

The only way I would wear women's shoes is if they looked like men's shoes.