Men in Women's Shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in Women's Shoes

Post by oldsalt1 »

DonP wrote:The only way I would wear women's shoes is if they looked like men's shoes.
Once you get past sneakers. the shoes definitely make the outfit. usually when I wear skirts it is casual most of that time I wear sneakers. I try not to get massive bulky sneakers. When I wear skirts for work the entire outfit has to work together.
Men's shoes are usually too bulky for the right look. Now I understand why women are so fussy about having the right shoe.

When you boil it down unless you are wearing a kilt you are wearing a women's skirt. so what does it matter if you are wearing women's shoes. You don't have to go crazy with 4 inch heels . But a nice shoe compliments what you are wearing
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

DonP wrote:The only way I would wear women's shoes is if they looked like men's shoes.
Well, I don't go crazy with women's shoes either, but men's shoes can look awfully big and clunky with a skirt.

So I started out with plain black or brown leather shoes with laces and a 2" heel or less. In other words, with "mannish" women's shoes. Certainly no flashy colors or rhinestones.

To get your women's size, add about 1.5 to your men's size. So in my case, men's 10.5 theoretically becomes a women's 12. However, because I wear men's shoes with athletic-weight socks and women's sizes with much-thinner tights, I've had to back my women's size down to 11.

One other bit of advice: many women's shoes, especially heels, have very hard heel surfaces and this creates a click-click-click sound as you walk. So if that bothers you or you're afraid it'll draw undue attention, look for a softer heel surface.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

oldsalt1 wrote:When you boil it down unless you are wearing a kilt you are wearing a women's skirt.
Sorry but, as many have said, when I've bought the skirt it's mine, not a womans.

I actually think it's important to get this point across because it differentiates us as fashion forward freestyling men from "crossdressers", etc. If we must make reference to womens clothes, would it not be better (albeit more cumbersome) to refer to them as "clothes predominantly marketed in modern society to women"?

Just a thought.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:If we must make reference to womens clothes, would it not be better (albeit more cumbersome) to refer to them as "clothes predominantly marketed in modern society to women"?

Just a thought.
I like this thought. It is accurate and the cumbersomeness makes the point that the whole idea of men's clothes and women's clothes are silly.
DonP

Post by DonP »

How about "masculine" versus "feminine"? Although I might wear something marketed to women, I would not wear feminine clothing. If it's a skirt, it has to look manly.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If when you buy a skirt its yours not a woman's the same thing has to count for shoes
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

My first foray got me an American Eagle ankle boot. (Shown below)
AmEagleBoot1.5inHeel.jpg
Shown is possibly 1/2" too long. I tried some plainer wedges a year ago but the toe area was too constrained. Okay for short jaunts, but not for more than an hour or so, then it started feeling cramped.

At the same time, I got this sneaker, as it is less "bulky" than my Brook's Addiction Walker.
AthenaSneaker.jpg
This, though the same size as the ankle boot, feels much better....I guess because the heel isn't elevated and the foot running at a slant.

It's okay, but since I got it from Payless I'm going to try putting an insert in it to make it feel better on the foot.

Possible repetition, but it bears repeating.

1. Buy your shoes in the afternoon, not in the morning.
2. While buying heeled shoes, make sure that the arch of your foot is comfortable and snugly hugging the arch of the heeled shoe.
3. If there is any discomfort or misalignment, don't buy the shoe. No amount of gel inserts will help.
4. Wear heels with straps so your feet don't flip and flop.
5. Wear them for short bursts. Don't be adventurous about walking miles in them.

We are not designed for walking on the balls of our feet. It's that simple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

oldsalt1 wrote:If when you buy a skirt its yours not a woman's the same thing has to count for shoes
Absolutely! :D
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When you are buying footwear keep in mind that there are two measurements the physical number (toe to heel length) and the LETTER
the broad path across the bottom from the ball to the outer small toe.
Women's foot wear is sized as a M or B Medium and then men's are a standard D medium for men.
An "A" is very narrow for small women's petite foot.
The "C" for women (wide) has been replaced with a "W".
For men the wide is the letter "E" and double EEs or triple EEEs are a measure for a very wide span of the foot.
Caution and note the numbers may note be in USA numerics but in UK or European metrics - also note that
European metrics cover or bracket the USA numbers. I.E. a woman's size USA 11 = a men's USA 9.5 = metric 42.5-43.0-43.5-44
A good Rule of Thumb (make that Toe) is to measure twice both left and right and do this while sitting and then standing put weight on
the feet - putting weight on will cause the feet to expand out for a small increment - take that into account for a proper fitting.

ALSO NOTE: A well heeled fitting right out of the box should not be uncomfortable - modern shoes do not need to BROKEN in to fit *
* except for women's fashion boots - torture devices for one walk on the runway and rarely worn again.

Go to a shoe store and ask to size your feet with the BANNOCK device - one for men - one for women and lastly one for kids.
This device measures the foot length and width.
The device is reversible so that each foot can be measured for size - you would be surprised that often the right and left feet
are not EXACTLY the same size - when that happens order your shoe sizing for the larger foot. Otherwise if sizing for the smaller foot
the larger foot will be jammed against the front of the toe box resulting in "hammer toes' and socks with holes.
This is why trying before buying shoes is so important and a problem with ebay purchases and the returns for ill fitting.

Spend some time in fitting your footwear which will thank you without blisters and other sores.
Think about what kind and type of sox; footed tights and pantyhose is also going to worn inside the footwear.

Don't be a clutz wearing wing tips with a mini-skirt or other awkward combinations. Think how you would want to be received - LOOK INTO A MIRROR !
Halloween and the circus are months away !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
DonP

Post by DonP »

oldsalt1 wrote:If when you buy a skirt its yours not a woman's the same thing has to count for shoes
You are correct in terms of ownership, but the common interpretation of the statement refers to whom the garment was originally designed for. Women's shoes were designed for women. If you wear them, you are wearing women's shoes. Own it. Don't rationalize.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Women wear men's shoes all of the time and many times you will see them trying on shoes in the men's shoe section. In addition, men's styles are made in women's sizes and sold in the women's shoe section. They exactly like the equivalent men's shoe. Therefore, why should we care if we are wearing women's shoes?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, if like me you like the open strappy type shoe with a slight heel then it really IS a big deal as that type of shoe are VERY, VERY feminine. You couldn't exactly miss a man wearing those. I have some pairs that I wear rarely around the house but love them so much I couldn't possibly bear to dispose of them. They are so comfortable as well. Not for me boots and other shoes that you other wear.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:Well, if like me you like the open strappy type shoe with a slight heel then it really IS a big deal as that type of shoe are VERY, VERY feminine. You couldn't exactly miss a man wearing those. I have some pairs that I wear rarely around the house but love them so much I couldn't possibly bear to dispose of them. They are so comfortable as well. Not for me boots and other shoes that you other wear.
And yet men appear in shower sandals or regular sandals all the time without notice.

And I've worn women's leather sandals with 1" heels and gotten no particular notice either.

So in my experience, it's only the very open, finely strapped, highly colorful shoes that get noticed, or those with heels over an inch or so.

And anyway, once you 're out in a skirt, who cares what else they notice?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sinned wrote:Well, if like me you like the open strappy type shoe with a slight heel then it really IS a big deal as that type of shoe are VERY, VERY feminine. You couldn't exactly miss a man wearing those. I have some pairs that I wear rarely around the house but love them so much I couldn't possibly bear to dispose of them. They are so comfortable as well. Not for me boots and other shoes that you other wear.
I have a couple of pairs of that type They look like a plain pump with an inch or two of heel and a strap that goes across that helps keep them on. Their the only shoe that I know with a person's name. They are usually referred to as MARY JANE'S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

"who cares what else they notice"

I've gotten all kinds of compliments on my knee boots and high-heeled shoes. Especially from women. So who do you want to impress?

I saw an article in "Simple Living" that laid out 7 principles of style. One was mix masculine and feminine items and fabrics. Another was start with your shoes and build you outfit on top of that. So I ask, where are sneakers, oxfords or loafers going to take you?

In for a penny, in for a pound.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.