Most "Freestyle" outfit you've worn in public

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Most "Freestyle" outfit you've worn in public

Post by Bamaskirting »

partlyscot wrote:Baby steps? In that outfit? In Alabama?

As a guy that's been wearing skirts full time for quite some time now, if you consider that baby steps, I can't wait to see what happens when you break into a run!

I think it's quite neat outfit, and looks pretty damn comfortable. I'm not sure I would feel at all confident wearing it though.
yeah its a little shorter than i would prefer to go out in public in. that's why i went with the tights. which i was really apprehensive about as they make me stand out that much more. buying online has its drawbacks. hard to guage lengths and fit when you are looking at a computer screen. by baby steps, i mean i only went to store. i could never gather the nervr to go to a mall or something. i had already went out in a skater skirt. and i have two minis, but they are mini. about same length as this. one of them looks fairly masculine to me with a tshirt though. so i chose this here. i must say wearing this bolstered my bravery though. but probably not enough.i am going to continue to sneak out in a skirt from time to time. not too many dresses though. i am finding skirts are better. but where i live, it can get violent.
thanks for the compliment!!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

partlyscot wrote:Baby steps? In that outfit? In Alabama?

As a guy that's been wearing skirts full time for quite some time now, if you consider that baby steps, I can't wait to see what happens when you break into a run!

I think it's quite neat outfit, and looks pretty damn comfortable. I'm not sure I would feel at all confident wearing it though.
Hear, hear!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I went out to dinner on New Years Eve then to a local nightclub with a jazz band and stayed until about 1am.

:ugeek:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Although I've never done mini's..... I do enjoy pushing the men in skirts envelope in other ways.... that being wearing some pretty darned feminine skirts out and about. I like bright colors, and lots of fabric, ruffles, and such.... So it's really hard for me to determine "the most freestyle" outfit I've worn..... 90% of them would be contenders....

One night while grocery shopping in Bristol VA, I wore this blue jumper dress with black tights, and a black t-shirt underneath. It was the first time I ever worn a "dress" out. I have two more, that frankly would make this one look mild by comparison, however it's too cold to wear them out right now.... but when it warms up I plan to get them some air...

I count the outfit photographed below as "freestyle" because it was one of the first times I attempted to "put together a look", rather than just slip on a skirt, no matter how feminine the skirt was.

Anyway.... here it is as I worn it that night...

ImageSitting proper by Moon Shadow, on Flickr
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

moonshadow wrote:Although I've never done mini's..... I do enjoy pushing the men in skirts envelope in other ways.... that being wearing some pretty darned feminine skirts out and about. I like bright colors, and lots of fabric, ruffles, and such.... So it's really hard for me to determine "the most freestyle" outfit I've worn..... 90% of them would be contenders....

One night while grocery shopping in Bristol VA, I wore this blue jumper dress with black tights, and a black t-shirt underneath. It was the first time I ever worn a "dress" out. I have two more, that frankly would make this one look mild by comparison, however it's too cold to wear them out right now.... but when it warms up I plan to get them some air...

I count the outfit photographed below as "freestyle" because it was one of the first times I attempted to "put together a look", rather than just slip on a skirt, no matter how feminine the skirt was.

Anyway.... here it is as I worn it that night...

ImageSitting proper by Moon Shadow, on Flickr
That dress looks so lovely ♡ I'm super jealous. I have always just bought separates (pencil skirts / tops) as it's so hard to find anything decent as that. Everything is either too short or too tight. Love the tights too :wink:
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

A great look moonshadow! Seems perfect for work and unobtrusive. 8) :thumright:

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks kilty and Ross!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Moon,
I saw that shot on flickr and didn't connect the dots, "DUH"!
How elegant can a guy in a skirt get, you nailed it!
Jen, is that you having a "wee snooze"? If so, I'll post some of the ones of me in similar straits.
Pics and looks needs some updating!
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Moon,
Jen, is that you having a "wee snooze"? If so, I'll post some of the ones of me in similar straits.
Steve.
Over 6,000 photo's of the last 35 years of Moon Shadow, minus 1996-2001 (the EX years - !INCINERATED! )

Quite a fair number of "trousered" pics... but what can I say... when you're young and unenlightened!

More added all the time!
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Moon,
Steve.

Yes I'm anemic so get tired a lot didn't know Moon took that picture of me LOL
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jen and Moon,
We don't want to be accused of "hijack", check off topic!
I take the view that photos are just a snap of time. They have no value but memories, whether that's good or bad.

Steve.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

It's been well below freezing here the last few days, but still skirted and/or kilted thanks to fleece-lined tights and/or leggings.

I've been wearing a maxi skirt around the house and ventured out one time with it and a panel skirt under it. Not too bad, but a heavier material for the dead of winter would be nice.

Went to Lane Bryant today but the best they had was a midi circle skirt, which I tried on and took, along with some more fleece-lined tights and leggings, Also got a long white ribbed turtleneck which "might" be long enough to work as a tunic over leggings. We shall see. If not, I'll have to find something a little longer as I've become somewhat fascinated with the idea. If I can find something like the "k'toneth" that Adam and Eve were reportedly given on being kicked out of the garden I'd wear it immediately (roughly translates to "a long shirt-like garment." A dress? Maybe. If I can find something with an acceptable neckline and overall appearance. (I'm pretty much in favor of dark solids and mini to knee-length most of the time.)

I did wear the midi circle skirt from about noon on. I'd worn a knee-length panel skirt to Frisch's for brunch and then to LB where I splurged a bit.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Well...Day Two. Temp was mid-to upper 40's F all day.

Out and about taking a lady friend to an outpatient surgical center and back home, Stopped at McDonald's for our breakfast and then sat around and talked about the outfit.

Midi black knit circle skirt under a white ribbed turtleneck (I'll call it a shirt, too soft, thin and lightweight for a sweater) and a black stretchable belt with a men's Navy blazer. Brooks all-black walking shoes and beige medium support hose covered by black tights and leg-warmers. :shock:

Then we went to a local restaurant for lunch with some friends where I got a phone call from another friend needing help with his computer, so I ended up going to his office for a couple of hours. And now I sit at the computer having finished logging the events of the day and generating invoices.

I may finish looking thru Lane Bryant's web site tonight then go out tomorrow for something and get a selfie-stick so I can get a better photo, in daylight, of the current duds.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Livin' large! Congratulations!

Got any photos?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Don't have the leg warmers on here, or the jacket here....

I have a maxi, now a midi, knee-length panel skirt and pencil skirt and a mini. I tend to prefer knee-length or 2-3" above the knees. Figured I'd try the midi because my maxi is a real summer skirt and the new midi is thicker. Layering is key no matter what.
scafe20160115.jpg
Looking to find a tunic that comes to maybe 3/4 down the thigh and with short sleeves and a round neck or a turtleneck or something. Saw a couple of dresses I might try if they don't have too much room in front. These would likely be one-offs just to say I'd done it while I stick with skirts and kilts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.