The Perceptible Willy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Perceptible Willy

Post by moonshadow »

Couya wrote:I wonder when men became shy of showing their organs. Look at costumes of bygone centuries : Romans did not worry about nudity, or showing whatever was under their tunics; then, in the Middle Ages, men were happy to sport colourful cod pieces; prominent pouches in Renaissance times -- often looking as if in full erection; obvious bulges in 19 th century tight britches, still seen in matadors' costumes today. Then came the 20th c, and, until the 1950s, men's trousers were wide and loose enough to hide the week's shopping. Nudity and anything suggesting men had genitals were out.
Taj wrote:Martin, it's power, money, control, and folks inclination to be sheepole - unthinking and fearful herd followers. I wish I could remember the source where I read about Queen Victoria's connections to the textile industry. People didn't used to get dressed to bathe, or as we call it now, go swimming. The fashion industry makes a killing off of the ways they tweek what we think we can wear. Whether it's the outline of gender parts under clothes or flat out nudity, it isn't necessarily perverse or lude. That thought is more likely in the mind of the observer. I think it's crazy the way society obsesses over what we wear, if anything.
I speculate a lot of it has to do with this "modern day" puritanical ideology that the west is founded on. At one time men and woman alike were expected to remain VERY modest. Around the mid point of the 20th century, women began to break those chains of modesty and, save for the topless issue are able to show more and more and more, meanwhile, while men have won the right to go about their day shirtless, in the most modern era (last couple decades), we are expected to not show much of any leg, and tops need to be masculine.

Also consider the "eye candy" factor. Nobody wants to see a half dressed ugly man or ugly woman. Society champions the "Margot Robbies" and "Chris Hemsworths" of our culture, everyone says "YES LETS SEE MORE SKIN!!!" Then someone ordinary like most of us come along and its "BOOOOO!!! PUT SOME CLOTHES ON! , BLEND IN!, WE DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT!" :| It's really quite sad.

*Addressing everybody now...*

And so I ask you all.... why do we put some much value on the opinions of these (most) people? People who clearly see what's only skin deep. Why do we worry so much about pleasing a populace so shallow? If we want to look good, and be eye candy for the ladies, toss the skirts, hit the gym, and don a power suit! I thought we were doing this primarily for ourselves... not for the likes of society... :?

I don't know about you all, but I know I'm the laughing stock of many places I visit. I know most women find me even more repulsive when I'm wearing skirts, and I've been called ugly to my face. Yeah... it hurts a little, but you know what... f#$% them anyway.... I'm living my life for ME, I like me, my wife loves me, as does my daughter. And that's all I care about.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Because one of our greatest fears is to be alone and not be part of the group. In centuries past if you became isolated without a group it would be very difficult to survive. And that fear is still with us.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Whether or no we want to admit, and regardless of whether we like it or not, humans are very much social animals; we innately need to have others around us, and if one gets isolated it's usually very unpleasant going for that individual. So we tend to care what those around us think because, again whether we like it or not, those around us do have power over us by virtue that they could turn us into outcasts.

Certainly we're all going to have some rocks in the road, and it's not possible to be universally liked. I like the remark that's usually attributed to Winston Churchill, "So you have enemies? Good! Because that means that at least once you stood up for something!" Imagine how awful the life of a "yes man" must be. So the best we can really do is be accepted for who we are by most of the folks around us.

On the flip side, isolation is one of the worst things that can happen to people; it destroys the mind and the will. This is one of the reasons solitary-confinement is so popular in the "Corrections Industry" -- it's amazingly powerful in getting people to bend to the will of others (more advanced countries are starting to see the technique as a form of torture and are hopefully phasing it out). We can deal with isolation for a while -- and sometimes it's beneficial on our own terms, but to have it imposed upon us by others, or by some form of dementia, is almost unbearable.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Isn't it interesting to note the history of this thread.
There are contributors who are no longer with us in the most literal sense.
Oddly, we have not reached a "conclusion", let alone a consensus?
I doubt that my "willy" is the same as anyone else's, "similar" may work in this context.
We have a hell of an amount of "diktats" to deal with, don't let your willy be one of them.
I still like the flat front, with the right style, that's me.
My fuller and looser skirts allow a degree of liberty that I will not expand on!
One thing, no "commando", the rest is mine alone.
As guys we have our choices imposed on us.
As you are here, you are questioning those strictures?
All I can say, live with your "bits", show them , hide them, that's your choice.
Do not get bogged down with tiny details, enjoy the skirt.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Guilty as charged Stevie,

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Tom,
Nice shots, and that is sincere!
However, how do we go in open view?
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'open view'. :?

Having seen these pics I'm reviewing what and how much I need to wear underneath.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Kirbtone,
There really is nothing wrong with your look or presentation in these shots. The skirts are nowhere near the "body con" or even some of the straighter styles which I wear on a regular basis.
You have said yourself that you don't go out in public so much and that must give you a greater sense of licence to please yourself on the "look" you portray.
If I am wrong about the context of these shots, I apologise.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

The Conspicuous Willy

Post by denimini »

Conspicuous would be a better word to describe some of the sights at the Olympic Games, which are somewhat public. We shouln't be worrying about being perceptible.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Tom, the denim one does hide you, IMO. Maybe it needs the help of the tank top to do that, but the change from going round your body in a oner to going round your legs with an indentation between them is basically what you get with trousers. The kilt is more, ahem, form-fitting and I would advise you to put your sporran on!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't see a major problem. I have to look very carefully to see anything, and my first impression would have just been a wind flutter or something in the photo.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Talking about Kirbstone's pictures, for me, there is no problem. Yes, if you are actually studying him as he walks, you can discern the presence, and approximate size. And? You can do that with most pants as well. To be fair, I would have to reserve judgement until I had seen video, as movement may make things more obvious, but I don't really feel that the look is at all obtrusive. I'm pretty sure that I am at least as obvious in virtually all my skirts. There are some that I like the feel of, soft, clingy knit maxis usually, but they are reserved for lounging around the house, where the only person seeing me is the GF, who has seen a lot more...

I don't think that comparing this to sporting contestants in performance clothing is a useful tactic, What is acceptable depends on venue. I don't care a bit how much I show in my swimsuit at the pool, but I'm not going to walk into the supermarket in speedos!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Much of what this site is about is men having the same fashion freedom as women. Women do not usually try to hide their various bumps, but rather often emphasize or even augment them. In the same way, men should not be expected to hide their bumps. A codpiece does not fit my style, but if it's for you, fine.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:... my first impression would have just been a wind flutter or something in the photo.
I have found that it depends on the wind direction. If the wind is blowing strongly from the front, the loose material of the skirt will be blown between the legs and the result will be exactly what you would see with a pair of trousers.

In that photograph the hem appears to be streaming out behind, so the wind was blowing from the front; if he had been walking downwind, nothing would have been visible.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Nothing to see here move along !
These are not the droids you are looking for !
Move along now - darn storm troopers always looking for Waldo (I mean Willy) ! LOL !

Now about those "burkini" garments seen on the French Rivera beaches egads - a fashion abomination !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !