The Perceptible Willy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Re: The Perceptible Willy

Post by finrod »

Sinned wrote:I think that it all boils down to familiarisation. We don't notice the bulge with shorts or trousers because we expect to see it and hence ignore it. Skirts on a man are new and draw the attention so it's unfamiliar and we notice the bulge. Once skirts on men are more familiar then we won't notice it anymore. N'est-ce pas, or no es asi?
I agree that familiarisation is a big part of it, but I think it's also because the front of many skirts is otherwise an uninterrupted plane of fabric. While with legged garments, there are a number of angles and seams, and potentially a fly, in the crotch region that interrupt lines and create visual ambiguity there. I agree with others that men shouldn't feel the need to completely conceal all evidence of their anatomical features. But personally I usually prefer some inconspicuousness in this respect while I'm enjoying the conspicuousness of wearing a skirt. :)
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

finrod wrote: I agree that familiarisation is a big part of it, but I think it's also because the front of many skirts is otherwise an uninterrupted plane of fabric. While with legged garments, there are a number of angles and seams, and potentially a fly, in the crotch region that interrupt lines and create visual ambiguity there. I agree with others that men shouldn't feel the need to completely conceal all evidence of their anatomical features. But personally I usually prefer some inconspicuousness in this respect while I'm enjoying the conspicuousness of wearing a skirt. :)
I have worn some women's pants that I preferred the fit on compared to the men's version, (also, they were cheaper!) but I had some concerns as they did not have a fly. This did make the outline more noticeable, despite it not being significantly tighter in that area. The panel being smooth did show it off more. I went with it in the end because the conditions under which I was wearing them involved longer sweaters and that took care of the problem.

As a side comment, the guy at work who is working on the X Kilt, was talking to me the other day, and I found his pants verging on the obscene. he has gained some weight, and the front of his pants are quite tight now. :shock:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

partlyscot wrote: As a side comment, the guy at work who is working on the X Kilt, was talking to me the other day, and I found his pants verging on the obscene. he has gained some weight, and the front of his pants are quite tight now.
As guys who are not total conformists to the most common fashions, I think we need to be careful about how we judge others who do not conform differently than we don't conform.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's true, Jim, but partlyscot is judging his colleague by the same standards as he is judging himself (standards we all applying to ourselves too). So I think his way of thinking is fair.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Jim wrote:
partlyscot wrote: As a side comment, the guy at work who is working on the X Kilt, was talking to me the other day, and I found his pants verging on the obscene. he has gained some weight, and the front of his pants are quite tight now.
As guys who are not total conformists to the most common fashions, I think we need to be careful about how we judge others who do not conform differently than we don't conform.
Well, I didn't actually find it bothersome for myself, (I've seen a lot more than that in the locker room after all) but I wondered if the girls we work with found it attractive or repulsive. I mentioned it as a counterpoint to the issues with skirts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

partlyscot wrote:
Jim wrote:
Well, I didn't actually find it bothersome for myself, (I've seen a lot more than that in the locker room after all) but I wondered if the girls we work with found it attractive or repulsive. I mentioned it as a counterpoint to the issues with skirts.
That's fair. As a Christian nudist, I don't like calling the human body obscene, but recognize some do. But then, I've learned to not spend much time looking "down there."
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Orange Apple wrote:
crfriend wrote:One of the nice things about skirts is that if one happens to have a bit of a "paunch" (I've got one) is that it makes the skirt stand off somewhat from the natural anatomy below it. Voilà, problem solved!
Yep. I have the same non-problem problem. I've never had any willy-showing issue.

I have been a bit irritated that some of my skirts accentuate my extra fat around the waist. My wife let me try a "shaper" to cure that problem, and indeed it did take care of the look I didn't like. But it was sufficiently uncomfortable that I didn't think the nicer look justified the discomfort.

It did give me an appreciation for the things that women have to put up with in the name of appearance. One of the reasons I enjoy wearing skirts is their comfort. Add full shapewear so that you have bulges in all the right places and the comfort aspect is gone. Add panty hose [yes, I know some of you like them; I do not find them comfortable], ridiculously uncomfortable shoes, a push-up bra, makeup, a hairstyle that takes an hour to fix . . . and wow, these gals are really going to a lot of trouble and making themselves uncomfortable. Of course they're doing it as much to impress the other women as men; maybe much more.
I'll leave out the bra, make-up and wigs and uncomfortable shoes :roll: but it is true that most women are so busy judging themselves and other women. Read any Daily Mail issue and you will hear how a woman "poured herself into a tight pencil skirt that clung to her endless legs, teamed with a plunging top that left little to the imagination" etc if it's an approving article, or something more caustic if they disapprove... I once tried on a pair of heels that SkirtsDad had and after a brief walk took them off and could identify with the relief girls feel after a day at the office in uncomfortable shoes just to look good 8)

There's no need to hide our bulges, but I may choose underwear that may make it less prominent as it ruins the contours of a pencil skirt, but will choose briefs I can just put on and forget and get on with the day. Tights and underwear that's too tight serves no benefit.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:... I once tried on a pair of heels that SkirtsDad had and after a brief walk took them off and could identify with the relief girls feel after a day at the office in uncomfortable shoes just to look good...
Some of it is technique and some of it is finding the right shoes.

As to technique, you have to learn to take smaller steps, and to land mostly on the ball of your foot and not so much on the heel.

As to shoes, find the right size and then either don't buy or return anything that pinches or rubs the second you put them on. There are comfortable heels but it depends on the exact size and shape of both your feet and the shoes. You just have to keep on trying.

Start out with 1-1/2- or 2-inch heels, get comfortable in those, and then move up to 3" if or when you feel like it. I say this mostly because 2" heels permit a more normal stride, but also because 2" heels will get you a lot less attention than 3".

I find that slanted heels are more comfortable than straight because with slanted, the heel touches the ground right under the center of your leg bone and heel, and so the center of balance is there. With straight-backed heels, your foot slides forward more, pinching your toes more.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:
kilty wrote:... I once tried on a pair of heels that SkirtsDad had and after a brief walk took them off and could identify with the relief girls feel after a day at the office in uncomfortable shoes just to look good...
Some of it is technique and some of it is finding the right shoes.

As to technique, you have to learn to take smaller steps, and to land mostly on the ball of your foot and not so much on the heel.

As to shoes, find the right size and then either don't buy or return anything that pinches or rubs the second you put them on. There are comfortable heels but it depends on the exact size and shape of both your feet and the shoes. You just have to keep on trying.

Start out with 1-1/2- or 2-inch heels, get comfortable in those, and then move up to 3" if or when you feel like it. I say this mostly because 2" heels permit a more normal stride, but also because 2" heels will get you a lot less attention than 3".

I find that slanted heels are more comfortable than straight because with slanted, the heel touches the ground right under the center of your leg bone and heel, and so the center of balance is there. With straight-backed heels, your foot slides forward more, pinching your toes more.
I tried my damndest in some boots that SkirtsDad lent me, but I think I need a more block heeled shoe.
Back on topic, I think the 'perceptible willy' can be kept under control with the right clothes
P1110482s.jpg
as I demonstrated on a visit to SkirtsDad last month. Simple Gap pencil skirt, tights and suitable underwear but nothing so constrictive it made things uncomfortable.
The only discomfort was from the shoes :lol: There was no effort to hide anything, the clothes did the job for me :wink:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:...I tried my damndest in some boots that SkirtsDad lent me, but I think I need a more block heeled shoe...
Yes, thicker heels are easier than thin (i.e. stiletto).

The thinner the heel, the less stability back and forth. You have to bear your weight more on the ball of your foot, which has more stability, and less on the heel.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I don't wear heels but I own 2 pair. My wife and I would go for walks after dark so I could learn to walk in them. I was training to walk in an event called Walk A Mile In Her Shoes. I did walk a mile in 3 & 4 inch heels several times. Not too difficult at all.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

what have heels to do with willies? (don't reply).

I wonder when men became shy of showing their organs. Look at costumes of bygone centuries : Romans did not worry about nudity, or showing whatever was under their tunics; then, in the Middle Ages, men were happy to sport colourful cod pieces; prominent pouches in Renaissance times -- often looking as if in full erection; obvious bulges in 19 th century tight britches, still seen in matadors' costumes today. Then came the 20th c, and, until the 1950s, men's trousers were wide and loose enough to hide the week's shopping. Nudity and anything suggesting men had genitals were out.
Funny how things change.

Martin
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Martin, it's power, money, control, and folks inclination to be sheepole - unthinking and fearful herd followers. I wish I could remember the source where I read about Queen Victoria's connections to the textile industry. People didn't used to get dressed to bathe, or as we call it now, go swimming. The fashion industry makes a killing off of the ways they tweek what we think we can wear. Whether it's the outline of gender parts under clothes or flat out nudity, it isn't necessarily perverse or lude. That thought is more likely in the mind of the observer. I think it's crazy the way society obsesses over what we wear, if anything.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Couya wrote:what have heels to do with willies? (don't reply).

Martin
As you asked for a reply, here goes - nothing at all. :twisted:

I just happened to be outside, requiring something to be on my feet... the pic was to show that with the correct clothing and underwear, the bulge is not so much of a problem :wink:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH and I were out shopping last Wednesday and we called in at ASDA. She saw a pair of skinny white jeans that she thought might be suitable for me. Being the diligent person that I am we went into the changing rooms, communal and no guardian at the gate so we both went into the same cubicle, for me to try them on. The material was stretchy and to say that they covered everything skin tight was an understatement. What most amused her was the most obvious bulge which she agreed the jeans made seem rather larger than normal. Needless to say the jeans remained on the rack, to my relief.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.