Shaving rash

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shaving rash

Post by Kirbstone »

A fine pair of athletic pins, ST. If you immitated the Canada Captain you would show plenty of leg & require pleats if skirted!
Glenn Howard (Canada) World Cup Curling Basel 2012.jpg
Tom K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
whorton

Post by whorton »

Just a couple of thoughts on what I have found useful.

I notice that for me, I can shave below the knee without any ingrown or irritated hairs. I have no idea why.

The trouble zone is above the knees and the closer to the waste and hips you get, the more likely you are to have problems. But I notice the worst ones are lateral. (on the sides, especially around hips.) and posterior is really bad as well.

Certainly, use shaving cream as opposed to a moisturizing soap. going WITH the grain is less likely to generate ingrown hairs. Use a new razor blade when ever possible. Wash legs afterward with an antibacteral soap such as hibiclens. (cheaper from WalGreens than WalMart as a generic.) Avoid tight clothing for a couple of days.

But my best suggestion is two fold. Try using clippers with a short (1/8 inch) attachment. Granted, it does not make legs totally smooth, but often when cut short, the hair is difficult to see. More importantly, It is not ITCHY as all get out. It is quicker and easier as well.

Oh, incidentally, use a MANS razor as the spacing of the blades is larger and thus less likely to clog, thus giving a better shave. Remember, womens hairs are typically thinner.

BEST suggestion, is to have your legs waxed. The pain and cost is not that bad, and lasts for 3 to 4 weeks. The results look much better than shaving as well.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

whorton wrote:Oh, incidentally, use a MANS razor as the spacing of the blades is larger and thus less likely to clog, thus giving a better shave. Remember, womens hairs are typically thinner.
[

I have been on estrogen for 5 years and my body hair is much finer than before. I can go weeks between the shaving of my legs. I still use a man's razor since I still shave my face every day (no changes in the facial hair) and I don't want to fool around with two razors. Incidentally my singing voice is bass and I have a deep masculine speaking voice.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I started shaving temples-to-toes way back in '07.

Have always used a women's Shick Quattro for all but face - lathering up a shower loofah https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0 with one or the other Caress Body Wash. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ca ... ORM=IDMHDL 8) Never had any problems.

The body wash had various lotions and herbal stuff in them, smelled nice, and the loofah exfoliated, and may have helped prevent any ingrown problems perhaps. Maybe helped in other ways as I lathered up before and after the shave.

Face...a men's Shick Quattro with Aveeno Positively Smooth shaving gel. :) And since November of '15 I've been wearing a full beard. 8)

The last half of '16 I started using a Norelco Body Groom as a "pre-treat" if I ended up letting things go too long... :lol: Though since I shaved in the shower, even if I got the blades clogged up, hitting the shower-massage knob to intense let me blast it out of the razor. The Norelco was used prior to the shower once I tried that approach and worked pretty well.

I also noted that with the absence of hair, was a corresponding absence of unseemly odors as workout sweat, for instance, just rolled right off and I dried quickly. :D

So. Works for me. YMMV. :pl:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I shave everything but my head hair about once every two to three days, and I guess I'm fortunate I've just never had an issue with burns, bumps, or ingrown hairs.

I use a Venus razor on my legs and those few patches on my chest and arm pits and the same shave cream I use on my face, Gillette with Aloe. I do use a regular "men's" razor on my face. I find it's best to keep body razors on the body and face razors on the face.

I really love the way my skin feels after a shave. Hate the prickly feeling after a few days.

Never moisturized or exfoliated. The pros (women) say I should, but after over a year of leg shaving and no issues, I say... if my method ain't broke... don't fix it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Man's experimenting in being a hairless ape:

I have with a great deal of success used the Gillette 5 blade cartridge with the battery power vibration feature.
Now it is not a matter of simply just slicing and sawing off the body fur but rather smoothly cutting it off each
of the 5 blades removing a small amount of hair with a sort of self-cleaning vibrating stroke. Flush in running
water and tap to loosen the remaining hair particles - hint while in the vibration mode immerse in water for
a few seconds to remove the cut hair pieces - don't let them accumulate jamming the shaving head.

For the open areas that can be easily reached I have used an epilator the device with rotating springs that
pinch and pull out hair at its roots or sheer it off at skin level. Better than waxing with better results.
Hurts the first few times but with each subsequent use it is not all that bad.
For hard to reach areas having a helper does the trick (like scratch my back LOL).

Chemical removers are great - but smelly and subject to surface burning of the skin - woe be using soaps
shaving lotions gels deodorants afterward - this stuff is absolutely not compatible with sensible skin health !

Lasers are fine for a more permanent solution but expensive.

Finally electrolysis is the ultimate (almost) permanent removal method terribly time consuming and expensive.

So dial up your threshold of pain and become that hairless creature from the salon lagoon ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Instead of waxing, I have my legs sugared. The "sugarista" uses honey and other stuff mixed in. It works better, doesn't hurt as much (hardly feel it at all) and you don't have to let your legs grow out as long as for waxing.

As far as preventing ingrown hairs goes, I read an article about that a year or so ago. I can't remember if it was in print or online so clearly women face that challenge as well. Some of the keys are: exfoliate before shaving, use warm not hot bath water, keep the area to be shaved moist with water then shaving cream, use a clean, sharp multi-blade razor, the author seemed to prefer men's razors to the ones made for her.

I keep my multi-blade razors clean by running hot water through them from back to front (think of backflushing a filter) but I don't use anything solid to clean them out. I used to and realized a did more damage (not only to the razor but to my face) than good because even using a flat toothpick you'll ruin the alignment of the blades.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I've never been able to successfully wet-shave my face: inevitably, I end up with a selection of facial cuts. Also, with an upper-lip (Philtrum) facial scar from birth, that area is a no-go for wet shaving. That is why, until recently, I've always used facial and leg/body electric shavers. The problem with leg/body shavers is that the perfect finish is never accomplished: it's never completely smooth, and the 'stubble' seems to grow back soon after. Plus, there's always the resultant soreness/irritation afterwards.

Then, my daughter alerted me to her success in wet leg shaving. I wasn't completely convinced. Even so, I bought a promotional Gillette Fusion pack, and gel. The results were/are impressive. I've never had such smooth legs, and the growth doesn't start to kick-in for at least a week or more. I experience very few nicks, which are dealt with at the same time in the shower with hot water. Afterwards, I apply Sanex Advanced DermoRepair on my legs as a balm to deal with any possible residual soreness - but this is minimal compared to using an electric leg/body shaver

Sure, the Fusion replacement blades are relatively expensive, but the results are undeniably worth it.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I find when I shave my legs, take a warm shower, with exfoliating gloves scrub your legs to get rid of all the dead skin, use a new blade then dry well and apply coconut oil. Feels a bit greasy at first but the oil is absorbed into the skin. :D
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I didn’t know this product was available until I saw it on television last night...

Nivea (UK and USA) have started selling Men’s body shaving gel, stick, and, body shaving after shave lotion. I plan on buying and will report back on their usage/suitability next week.

https://www.nivea.co.uk/shop/nivea-men- ... 70045.html

https://www.nivea.co.uk/shop/nivea-men- ... 70045.html

https://www.nivea.co.uk/shop/nivea-men- ... 50045.html
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

jamodu wrote:Nivea (UK and USA) have started selling Men’s body shaving gel, stick, and, body shaving after shave lotion.
If they use the same perfume that they use in their hand cream, it is horribly allergenic and very difficult to remove. Watch out for symptoms in yourself or someone near you.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

whitesocks wrote: Does anyone know what is going on and more to the point does anyone have a suggestion as to what I ought to do to stop this? I won't stop shaving, so that isn't a cure :D
Well, you've probably picked up on a common reference.... loofah.... yes that will help get rid of any redness, clean the pores and help prevent ingrowing hairs. I use Imperial Leather Foamburst as a shaving foam for legs and also face. Works nicely and very smooth and soft afterwards.

I've tried many of the alternatives too... creams, epilators and IPL.

Creams are fantastic, but the smell and strange jelly like substance that the hair becomes once disolved is not the most pleasant.

There are a number of epilators both battery and mains operated. The mains one can only be used dry but probably has a bit more pull and won't go flat just before you want to go out with your legs looking nice. The battery one I have can be used in the bath even. Overall I was very satisfied. I have quite a high threshold of pain and rarely found any issue using it other that maybe round the ankles where the skin is thin and sensitive and boy, can you feel it :shock:

The best for me (but doesn't work on blonde hairs, which luckily I don't have) has been the Smoothskin Gold IPL (now superseded by the Muse http://www.boots.com/smoothskin-muse-in ... m-10244554 it seems). Within 3 weeks there was a marked lack of regrowth. I think I used it for about 8 week in all, although the last few weeks I just zapped the areas with any regrowth so it was quick. I would say that if you are not looking with an intent of finding hairs then there is almost no noticeable regrowth. Literally is takes a couple of minutes, or less, once a week to take care of the handful of hairs that usually reappear.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Now that I’ve used them, I can enthusiastically report back on the new Nivea range of bodyshaving products.

Personal experience favours Gillette Fusion blades for such bodyshaving: it mitigates the potential bloodbath in using cheaper alternatives.

First, the bodyshaver stick. Opening its top reveals something akin to a roll-on deodorant, but looking more like a solid ball of white wax. Even so, it glides onto the chest effortlessly, leaving a film-like appearance. In not leaving mountainous bodies of foam (like conventional shaver foam), the razor subsequently removes more hair, and without the razor being clogged-up by shaving foam. No razor burn encountered. No shaver rash. Result: 10/10.

Second, the shaver gel. A modest amount of gel goes a long way, and covers the whole leg, one at a time. Unlike conventional shaving foam, you don’t have to act as quickly to shave your legs before the foam ‘evaporates’. Like the shaving stick, the shaving gel leaves a film-like covering on your legs: resulting in more hair being removed in a single pass - and without simultaneously clogging-up the blade with conventional shaving foam. Also, unlike conventional shaving foam, the Nivea shaving gel’s residue remains on your leg until you completely rinse it off. This means that you don’t have to continuously reapply gel (as you do with shaving foam) in order to make subsequent passes at removing errant hair. Again, no razor burn encountered. No shaver rash. Result 10/10.

Third, bodyshave after shave gel. The results of the above experience meant that there was no razor burn. Past experience in applying such after shave gels typically produced their own burning sensation when applying to my legs. The Nivea product did not produce such burning (not at all). Why buy it, then? If your budget allows, go for it. It does smooth the skin, leaving a pleasant ‘manly’ fragrance. Result 10/10.

All-in-all: an unqualified recommendation. Caveat: YMMV.