Caftans!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Caftans!

Post by DALederle »

While searching he web I found a few pages of Caftans that included caftans for men. While I did have one years ago, hand made by my ex-wife, it wore out and since then I hadn't thought much about it. When I searched for them I kept gettting women's sites. But here I found a site that had caftans for men!
http://www.gottawearit.com/caftanangels.html

Check them out. Great for lounging around the house!
gottawearit_2043_1880500.jpg
Hope no one complains about this post!

Dennis A. Lederle
:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Caftans!

Post by straightfairy »

I like it - wouldnt mind one myself for the house
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I *have* one of those in blue just like the photo from that company. It's OK, but is actually a little limiting in the legs and is so thin that it leaves me cold. Doesn't provide me with any warmth whatsoever.

For shear comfort and warmth around the house, these guys trump the caftan maker. It's warm, soft and really comfy. Looks odd, but once you try it, you will never go back!

http://nightsinwhiteflannel.com/
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have to call those fleece footwear people during the daytime. I can't buy shoes in sizes like large, larger and extra large...I have to have sizes to pick from like size 12w...Those look like they'd solve my cold feet at night in bed problem just great. Currently I'm wearing 3 pairs of cotton diabetes socks to keep my feet warm at night. Thanks for the site link. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Looks comfy for sitting on the terrace and drinking coffee.... :D
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Very nice, length is great, I need wider around the hips and waist. Any suggestions of a place that sells bigger Caftans/Dashikis?
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I just ordered the "Kente Caftan-African Culture-Unisex-Plus Size." from fullmoonloom.com.
Last edited by crfriend on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Google-called "unnatural link" per Bob.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The Kente caftan was promptly delivered. The design is perhaps not clear in the image. It is not form fitting. It is like a very large poncho, broader than my shoulders-there are no sleeves as such, but holes, leaving my arms partially covered. This is a plausble design for a unisex garment, something that can worn by either a man or a large woman. Something like this helps to address a lack in the Western wardrobe-a garment for lounge wear. (When I searched with that term I got an endless series of bathrobes).
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

You can get a men's 'long shirt' or dishdasha in Asian shops. There is one in Edinburgh in the street opposite the Kings Theatre. I bought an ankle length one, with waist pockets. Only thing is they need a LOT of ironing. I wish they made them in cotton jersey - for comfort and ease of care.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Well, summer has made my apartment hot and humid. I find that wearing only a pair of shorts feels hot-close contact between skin and fabric is very uncomfortable. Started wearing my caftan (commando) with relief. Yes, it covers more, but there is little close contact between skin and fabric, and there is substantial ventilation.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

[quote="Grok"]
Yes, it covers more, but there is little close contact between skin and fabric, and there is substantial ventilation.

And there is the reason that such garments still hold sway in the Middle East/North Africa. Those people aren't stupid, even if most Western men are stubbornly so. I am enjoying the detective series, "Death in Paradise" and am both amused and irritated by Richard's stubborn refusal to shed his suit in even the hottest weather, yet bemoaning the heat.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

DALederle wrote:While searching he web I found a few pages of Caftans that included caftans for men. While I did have one years ago, hand made by my ex-wife, it wore out and since then I hadn't thought much about it. When I searched for them I kept gettting women's sites. But here I found a site that had caftans for men!
http://www.gottawearit.com/caftanangels.html

Check them out. Great for lounging around the house!
gottawearit_2043_1880500.jpg
Hope no one complains about this post!

Dennis A. Lederle
:roll:
it seems that that web site is no more,I click the link
and get nothing
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I get something but it's just a transfer site with related links. There is a link at the bottom in a virtually unreadable blue colour saying "This domain may be for sale."
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Sinned wrote:I get something but it's just a transfer site with related links. There is a link at the bottom in a virtually unreadable blue colour saying "This domain may be for sale."
same here,seeing that the domain is for sale I'd guess that the persons that were selling
the kaftans quit for whatever reason
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would say that there is definitely a place for Caftans as lounge wear. Oddly enough, this is a category of clothing that is sparse even for women.