Caftans!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Caftans!

Post by Ron »

just letting everyone know I am still around and still wearing caftans.
in fact I got a new caftan today.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Very good, Ron! :D
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Grok wrote:Very good, Ron! :D
given a choice caftans would be the only cloths that I would own
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Now that is one great kaftan although what differentiates that from a dress I am not quite clear about apart from something is what you call it to be. I am intrigued and would wear that anytime.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Sinned wrote:Now that is one great kaftan although what differentiates that from a dress I am not quite clear about apart from something is what you call it to be. I am intrigued and would wear that anytime.
technically a kaftan is a dress but as far as I know the deference between a dress and kaftan is that kaftans (or caftan )
is that a caftan is usually looser fitting and a lot of it is local names for it.
they are also known as a thobe, thawb,dishdhasha.
they are common in places like India,Pakistan,Saudi Arabia and a lot of places in the mid east.
also I think the caftan might be a more masculine name for a dress
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Ron for that. Whatever it is called I like it and you wear it well. I would imagine it would be warm in the coldest of weather and thick enough to deflect a cold wind on a chilly day.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Sinned wrote:Thanks Ron for that. Whatever it is called I like it and you wear it well. I would imagine it would be warm in the coldest of weather and thick enough to deflect a cold wind on a chilly day.
it depends on what kind of fabric the caftan is made of,
some are thinner for summer and some are heaver for winter
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I have been wearing caftans more and more so I
have decided to stay in caftans permanentlyImage
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Ron, add a hood to that and you could have a Wikkan robe like wot Moon has got. Especially with the adornments around your neck. You really suit it.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Sinned wrote:Hey Ron, add a hood to that and you could have a Wiccan robe like wot Moon has got. Especially with the adornments around your neck. You really suit it.
eventually I want robes/caftans like that,meantime look a couple of my posts back
of me in a hooded blue denim caftan.
are there any photos of moon wearing his ?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ron wrote:are there any photos of moon wearing his
I'm not sure how this one didn't get uploaded to Flickr, but I have an older one on my hard drive that I've now uploaded.

This is somewhat of a special milestone for me, for it was not only the first time I wore anything unbifurcated in my adult life [0], but also the first Wiccan circle I attempted in full view of the neighbors! :shock: :lol:

Circa Spring 2011:
(This was before I adopted the name "Moon Shadow")
*Yes, that's the same hat I wear in modern day photos :D *

The green robe was my first, it has no hood, and I tie it off at the hip with a length of cord I purchased at a fabric shop.

Now for something a little more recent (as in, taken tonight... just for you all's viewing enjoyment)...

Present Day Moon Shadow:

And now with the black robe I purchased later on worn over it (the way I normally do circles now)

Both robes were made to order and purchased from Garb The World.

[0] FUN FACT: I remember Jenn saying to me... "are you not wearing any pants under that?" To which I replied "no". She seemed somewhat shocked by it! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:are there any photos of moon wearing his
I'm not sure how this one didn't get uploaded to Flickr, but I have an older one on my hard drive that I've now uploaded.

This is somewhat of a special milestone for me, for it was not only the first time I wore anything unbifurcated in my adult life [0], but also the first Wiccan circle I attempted in full view of the neighbors! :shock: :lol:

Circa Spring 2011:
(This was before I adopted the name "Moon Shadow")
*Yes, that's the same hat I wear in modern day photos :D *

The green robe was my first, it has no hood, and I tie it off at the hip with a length of cord I purchased at a fabric shop.

Now for something a little more recent (as in, taken tonight... just for you all's viewing enjoyment)...

Present Day Moon Shadow:

And now with the black robe I purchased later on worn over it (the way I normally do circles now)

Both robes were made to order and purchased from Garb The World.

[0] FUN FACT: I remember Jenn saying to me... "are you not wearing any pants under that?" To which I replied "no". She seemed somewhat shocked by it! :lol:
very nice caftans/robes you have there,
yes I do know about Garb The World and want to get some of there
robes/caftans.
I do not wear anything under my caftans,the only thing under them is me
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ron wrote:very nice caftans/robes you have there,
robes/caftans.
Thanks! Your post have somewhat inspired me to want to wear my robe(s) out more often as normal wear. I feel they don't get enough sunlight. My next purchase from Garb the world might be a purple one with trim in the same style as the green one.

A few things for sure: It is not crossdressing by any stretch of the definition, and is an expression and representation of my beliefs, thus totally "legal" (as manly as the Scottish kilt!... especially with the sword!) :wink: :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:very nice caftans/robes you have there,
robes/caftans.
Thanks! Your post have somewhat inspired me to want to wear my robe(s) out more often as normal wear. I feel they don't get enough sunlight. My next purchase from Garb the world might be a purple one with trim in the same style as the green one.

A few things for sure: It is not crossdressing by any stretch of the definition, and is an expression and representation of my beliefs, thus totally "legal" (as manly as the Scottish kilt!... especially with the sword!) :wink: :)
I am going to be wearing my caftans/robes as normal wear and yes I want to get a
couple purple robes too.
and yes they are an expression and representation of my beliefs also
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There is a lot of potential in garments that hang from the shoulders.