Caftans!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Caftans!

Post by Ron »

Grok wrote:There is a lot of potential in garments that hang from the shoulders.
yes there is and today is the start of my life in caftans
whorton

Post by whorton »

The problem for me with such fashion, comes down to two images that are indelible in my brain, sadly, neither is flattering. The first is actually not a kaftan, but the infamous Homer Simpson "mumu" Granted they are different, but in a sense the same.
homer-simpson-muumuu1.jpg
The other is the middle eastern variant of the kaftan. Neither of which present an image I am comfortable with dressing in or with.
middle east kaftan.jpg
Such garments for me, would be akin to wearing the proverbial Japanese schoolgirl uniform, with knee socks and Mary Janes. For me totally absurd. However, as the forum show, I would certainly not portend to judge someone else who embraced either choice.

Needless to say, I won't be puttering about town in such fashion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

whorton wrote:The problem for me with such fashion, comes down to two images that are indelible in my brain, sadly, neither is flattering. The first is actually not a kaftan, but the infamous Homer Simpson "mumu" Granted they are different, but in a sense the same.
homer-simpson-muumuu1.jpg
The other is the middle eastern variant of the kaftan. Neither of which present an image I am comfortable with dressing in or with.
middle east kaftan.jpg
Such garments for me, would be akin to wearing the proverbial Japanese schoolgirl uniform, with knee socks and Mary Janes. For me totally absurd. However, as the forum show, I would certainly not portend to judge someone else who embraced either choice.

Needless to say, I won't be puttering about town in such fashion.
the second photo of what they call kaftan's are actually kurtas witch is basically a long shirt,
a caftan is ankle length
but I will be puttering about town in a caftan
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

whorton wrote:The other is the middle eastern variant of the kaftan. Neither of which present an image I am comfortable with dressing in or with.
I don't think too many will confuse Ron for a middle easterner with all his Pagan jewelry. :wink:

I have had similar concerns with regards to my Wiccan robe, by itself it could be mistaken for a Klansman's robe, and no, not all Klansman wear white, some do wear other colors such as green, red, even purple. I've seen it for myself when they slipped one of their floats in the Pulaski VA Christmas parade about 10 years ago or so.

To me, it's about one of the worst things to be mistaken for. But in all honesty, I don't think many would make that assumption, it's probably just me being overly paranoid.

Curiously, one Halloween many years ago I wore the Wiccan ensemble into a grocery store back in Pulaski, as I turned a corner and older white man took great pleasure in seeing me in it, "heeeeey! I like that!" This man did NOT look like the type of guy who liked men in skirts, dresses, or even Wiccan attire. :shock: I can only imagine what was going through his head.

When I show photos of me in my robe to people who have never seen me in one before, often times the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "Merlin", or "Wizard".

I got called a "Count" once, that was kind of cool! 8) "Count Moon Shadow" :lol:

So that's a good sign! :P *Still, they got it wrong... it's "WITCH". :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
whorton wrote:The other is the middle eastern variant of the kaftan. Neither of which present an image I am comfortable with dressing in or with.
I don't think too many will confuse Ron for a middle easterner with all his Pagan jewelry. :wink:

I have had similar concerns with regards to my Wiccan robe, by itself it could be mistaken for a Klansman's robe, and no, not all Klansman wear white, some do wear other colors such as green, red, even purple. I've seen it for myself when they slipped one of their floats in the Pulaski VA Christmas parade about 10 years ago or so.

To me, it's about one of the worst things to be mistaken for. But in all honesty, I don't think many would make that assumption, it's probably just me being overly paranoid.

Curiously, one Halloween many years ago I wore the Wiccan ensemble into a grocery store back in Pulaski, as I turned a corner and older white man took great pleasure in seeing me in it, "heeeeey! I like that!" This man did NOT look like the type of guy who liked men in skirts, dresses, or even Wiccan attire. :shock: I can only imagine what was going through his head.

When I show photos of me in my robe to people who have never seen me in one before, often times the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "Merlin", or "Wizard".

I got called a "Count" once, that was kind of cool! 8) "Count Moon Shadow" :lol:

So that's a good sign! :P *Still, they got it wrong... it's "WITCH". :mrgreen:
eventually I want to get some purple and some black Wiccan / Druid robes
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:
A few things for sure: It is not crossdressing by any stretch of the definition, and is an expression and representation of my beliefs, thus totally "legal" (as manly as the Scottish kilt!... especially with the sword!) :wink: :)
Actually, these robes look positively conservative on you, moon shadow. Shock/horror! :shock:
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I am trying my hand at making a blog.
http://www.lovekaftans.com/
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Ron wrote:I am trying my hand at making a blog.
http://www.lovekaftans.com/
Very good, Ron. :)
whorton

Post by whorton »

Oh Kaftan! My Kaftan!
Last edited by whorton on Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

was out and about today in a gray caftan and
got called Jesus
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I am also looking for some of these,I had bookmarked were to
get them but lost the bookmark.
whorton

Post by whorton »

That one looks like it came from the wardrobe department of the AMC show, "Into the badlands."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:.

A few things for sure: It is not crossdressing by any stretch of the definition, and is an expression and representation of my beliefs, thus totally "legal" (as manly as the Scottish kilt!... especially with the sword!) :wink: :)
There seems to be a latent acceptance of robe like garments for men. Probably due to clergy.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Grok wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:.
There seems to be a latent acceptance of robe like garments for men. Probably due to clergy.
possibly
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Grok wrote:There seems to be a latent acceptance of robe like garments for men. Probably due to clergy.
Or due to Muslim men as well :wink:
らき☆