Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Jim wrote: I oppose swimsuits (putting clothes on to swim is ludicrous), but unfortunately other peoples' opinions differ.
crfriend wrote:That having been said, I always preferred swimming au naturale to any sort of suit...
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that opinion!
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

partlyscot wrote:As for women's one piece swimwear, I could understand some guys finding a use for them, but the sizing assumes that women have shorter torsos, so the fit tends to be overly snug in the vertical direction. I did see some pics of some young male divers using one piece swimwear, I assume because their skinny hips increased the risk of brief style ones coming off when hitting the water!
I have not had any issues like that. One piece women's swimsuits fit me just fine.

John
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

To return to the topic of nail polish, I like to wear sandals, mainly toe-posts, a lot, and find that as the summer goes on my feet get more and more tanned. But the nails do not, remaining pasty white! :(

For the last few years I have been painting my toenails, mostly in shades of brown to sort of match my skin. Not too keen on other colours as I'm not trying to draw attention to my toes, rather the opposite.

As the sandals will usually be from the women's department, if this summer I paint my nails AND wear a skirt the overall look might be more feminine than I'm comfortable with.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Nail polish is not for me either. Like I said on the 'Jewelry' topic each to their own and if you like it go for it.

I wear open sandals except for late November through to April. I go for the natural touch but it is down to ones preference.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

And I wear open-toed sandals except for late July through to June! But no nail polish for me either.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The polish I wear on my toenails is usually more of a tinted sheen than a painted color, with shades like "limelights" and "peach daquiri". I seldom go for attention-grabbing hues, though I do like various shades of red on rare occasions.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I wear color on my toenails and clear on my fingers.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My toes and fingers are always painted these days. About 6 months ago I went full time on both. I get a gel manicure every 2 weeks. The color stays on much better than regular polish.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

When I wore colored nail polish on my fingernails I hated the way I always had to touch them up in the morning. I really hate seeing chipped fingernail polish on one's hands. So I no longer wear colored nail polish on my fingernails.

However...I just might consider gel on my fingernails if I can settle on a color.

JohnH
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I could never manage to maintain polished fingernails for more than a day or two. I contact too many solvents over a normal week, like gasoline, mineral spirits, even certain sunscreens and insect repellents. And even mixing soil samples can be abrasive to polish. It is enough to keep up with cleaning and trimming them.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

dillon wrote:I could never manage to maintain polished fingernails for more than a day or two. I contact too many solvents over a normal week, like gasoline, mineral spirits, even certain sunscreens and insect repellents. And even mixing soil samples can be abrasive to polish. It is enough to keep up with cleaning and trimming them.
Gel nails are pretty strong. The only solvent that I've found to stay away from is acetone. I wear gloves for it and for abrasive work. You should try gels and see what you think.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

i only painted my nails once when i went makeup shopping with a friend. she had all my nails all colors. it was pretty cool, but i never had a strong desire to do it again. now, i am an artist. i keep seeing videos on facebook of all the nail artwork women are doing. i find it fascinating. so now i am interested in giving that a go. it is frustrating that women get to wear all this cool stuff. men are not supposed to.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Bamaskirting wrote:it is frustrating that women get to wear all this cool stuff. men are not supposed to.
I second that proclamation!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Bamaskirting wrote:it is frustrating that women get to wear all this cool stuff. men are not supposed to.
You could say the same thing about skirts, but you've made it past that barrier.
I've been having my nails professionally manicured, with polish, since the summer of 2007. In the beginning they were done in clear and later in sheer colors from Orly's French Manicure line. But for the last three years they've been done in rich colors, mostly OPI but also others. I know many women in various shops who look forward to seeing what color I'm wearing this week. It makes you easy to remember.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:...it is frustrating that women get to wear all this cool stuff. men are not supposed to.
No one's stopping you but yourself.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron