Men Wearing Nail Polish

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men Wearing Nail Polish

Post by Bamaskirting »

I still want to try to do my nails but one problem. I am constantly eating them. clippers have never been used. they must taste good to me or something
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Bamaskirting wrote:I still want to try to do my nails but one problem. I am constantly eating them. clippers have never been used. they must taste good to me or something
I used to have that problem. I had ugly hands because of it. I started out just getting manicures without polish. I found that I didn't want to chew and bite my nails after that. It then progressed to having clear put on, then clear gel, and then colored gels. Now I get acrylics overlay on my nails and they are longer than ever, about 3/16" past finger tips. I love them.

Here is a picture of what I have right now. I had my ring finger done in a different polish as an accent nail for the first time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Gordon, those look like my hands except when I do an accent nail I do the pinkies. Also, my nails are my natural nails. Women who ask me can't believe it is true.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm wearing a new shade on my toenails today after a good buffing with a multi-grit nail thingy. It's called "Lavender Lustre" by Maybelline from a line called "Color Show"; the label calls it "holographic" (I keep checking to see if little virtual toes appear to materialize but so far a no-show). I like it but have no idea if it is still available, having had the bottle over a year but not having tried it until now. I get all my polishes from the "Reduced" shelves at the end of the cosmetics aisles in Target; many of the colors are no longer made; if I want to replenish one I like, I have to go to ebay to hunt down old stock. Anyway, even my wife liked this one, grudgingly, but of course added "The color is still too feminine." I had to remind her that if I eliminated every nail color she found "feminine" all I have left is black.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

dillon wrote:I'm wearing a new shade on my toenails today

Toes are were I started with color early in 2008. A few year later sheer colors on the hands (clear before that). Then about three years ago bold colors on the hands. I used to try to hide my hands from strangers when I first started, now I don't even think about it.
dillon wrote:It's called "Lavender Lustre" by Maybelline from a line called "Color Show"; the label calls it "holographic" (I keep checking to see if little virtual toes appear to materialize but so far a no-show).

I might change color as the angle from the light source changes. My neighbor has a car with classic flames painted on the fenders that you can only see from certain angles.
dillon wrote:I had to remind her that if I eliminated every nail color she found "feminine" all I have left is black.
Well, there is always clear, but that is boring. :)
Stuart Gallion
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I don't think I could ever grow my nails long or wear polish. They are constantly breaking and always full of dirt. I'm constantly pulling out the pocketknife and cleaning them. I swear, I don't know how they get so dirty! If I put color on them it would hide the dirt but how unsanitary would that be.
Years ago I used to put super glue on the nails of my right hand when I was a working guitarist. those days are long gone and now I just use a flat pick.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Today I am getting a pedicure and of course color. I am having the OPI "Tiramisu for Two" put on. I don't have my fingers done as I can't keep the polish on them and I they are always breaking. I wish I had learned about pedis long ago and how great it feels to have them done, I go to a spa and get the royal treatment.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Franinskirts wrote:I don't have my fingers done as I can't keep the polish on them and I they are always breaking.
If you mechanically break your nail nothing can help. But if they seem to split or crack without provocation, then a nail strengthener may help. I get a manicure every week and used to have a problem with splitting (lengthwise and across) problem. My frequent manicurist recommended Nailtiques2 to me. It is clear and not too glossy by itself if you are concerned with things like that. I have it applied weekly and it took about the length of time for your nails to grow from base to tip to be fully effective. In my case after about six months I realized that I hadn't split a nail in weeks. I've been using it for three or four years now with great success. It isn't inexpensive (I pay about $18 for a 15ml bottle which lasts me about six months) and I've only seen it at beauty supply stores. Sally Hansen makes a strengthening product that you can find at drug stores that may work too.
Stuart Gallion
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirted_in_SF wrote: Sally Hansen makes a strengthening product that you can find at drug stores that may work too.

I have tried this and for me it did not work. My doctor told me I am missing some amino acid of some kind and that finding out which one would be costly. It for some reason dose not effect the toes. I only have 4 nails on each foot. I had to have the big toe nails surgically removed about 25 years or so ago..

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Photo on 27-07-2016 at 22.22.jpg
Here are my nails done in what I think is a very masculine colour (gun metal grey - shall we call it :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Nice color renesm. What are you wearing that with? or is it just your regular color?

Tes

Here are my nails done in what I think is a very masculine colour (gun metal grey - shall we call it :) )[/quote]
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I was actually able to keep my purple polish on for the entire week I was off. I enjoyed it. Although it was interesting how it chips off much faster than my toe nails. I guess that's because my finger tips get abused more. I received MANY compliments on my polish. It seems the general public is very accepting of men wearing nail polish.

I'd like to wear it on the job just for the effect of nasty greasy oily hands, filled with dirt and grime and... pretty purple nail polish... :lol:

But my hands are always callused, scratched and scarred up anyway... so there's always that. I have the hands of a man who's worked manual labor for his entire working life... nail polish gives them a bizarre effect! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Slowly getting into nail polish and have been collecting different colours ready to start exploring and experimenting with them. I have some fab colours, bold, muted, but it's the gold and silver ones I can't wait to use. Will keep everyone posted on comments. Will start on the 1st January!!!

Martin
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Good timing this thread popping up again right now.

I have wanted to start wearing nail polish for a while, and I saw this the yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -challenge

6 year old Dutch boy Tijn, who is dying of brain cancer, likes to paint nails and decided to paint the nails of his friends for a donation, for research and treatment of childhood Pneumonia. He hoped to raise over 100 Euro. "I mean, I could be worse, some kids don't even make it to 6" Yes, well, it went viral.

I am not going to claim that it's the only reason for painting my nails, but I will tell anyone who asks that it just pushed me over the top.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I also paint my nails on occasion I used a muted color on my fingers and a brighter color on my toes.