Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Post by Couya »

Oh!
The computer's imaginative auto correction system was at work again. I missed that completely.
I think I wanted to say Only the most pretentious men wear ties in France.
Martin
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Here is a question for members....could bling be used as a substitute for ties? That is, give a sense of formality, without encircling the throat?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Grok,
Cite an example, I've only done the tie/skirt combination once and my jury is still out.
I don't have anything against wearing a tie as an accessory to skirt or trousers. I'm not required to at work, so I don't, perhaps I'm lazy in that respect?
Wearing jewellry, I've not done but could consider.
Steve.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

I have to wear a tie for work but I've never been to work in a skirt. I have worn a tie with a skirt to go out in the evening such as to the theatre - It goes quite well. I have a maxim which I normally keep to and that is "Shirts with skirts and Blouses with trousers". The former configuration can easily include a tie of course.

Derek
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wouldn't have a problem wearing a tie with a shirt and skirt but as yet have not had any real opportunity. Although I suppose that I could wear that combination the next time I'm going out when MOH isn't around. I normally wear a T-short and wool wear. I don't feel that you could wear a shirt/tie with just ANY skirt though. I will have to experiment a bit. Hmmmm. :?:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have worn neckties and skirts on many occasions and think that they can look quite stunning. It's all about context, and if the context deems that a tie is "required" then by all means wear one -- but also wear a skirt if you're so inclined.

The last time I wore a necktie was this past week when a bunch of us from one recently-bought-company visited an other recently-bought-company (both by the same buyer, mind) and I was the only one in the entire assemblage from either entity that wore a tie. In a way, I'm sad that I didn't wear a skirt (even though I'd likely have worn a tie with it). it's "old meets new" in a high-speed, high-energy collision.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Sinned wrote: I don't feel that you could wear a shirt/tie with just ANY skirt though. I will have to experiment a bit. Hmmmm. :?:
Agreed....it's just like trousers. If you wear a tie it suggests a certain level of formality so a formal, possibly pleated, skirt is perfect. I see no point in wearing a tie if the skirt is less formal, say denim for example. It would be just like wearing a tie with jeans!

Derek :)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have worn a denim tie with a denim shirt, denim waistcoat and denim jeans. Looked quite smart at the time, not so sure about now ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I have worn a denim tie with a denim shirt, denim waistcoat and denim jeans. Looked quite smart at the time, not so sure about now ....
There was a point, many, many years ago when denim suits made quite the edgy rebellious statement. That is not the case today. Today it's just another statement of drab.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

If a woman is wearing a suit to work, she is always wearing a shirt or blouse with an open neck. I wonder why corporate dress codes that require a suit shirt and tie for men also do not apply to women when they are wearing a suit with a shirt. Why is a man considered to be "not professionally dressed" without a tie, while a woman can wear a suit and a shirt without a tie and be considered as professionally dressed?
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

If I am forced to wear a tie, I might be inclined to wear it with a skirt suit along with obvious make up and heels. I would also add bracelets. Heck, I might even get my ears pierced so I could wear hoop earrings. Yes, you can say I am a non-conformist.

But no one could accuse me of trying to pass as a woman. When I speak with my masculine deep voice that illusion of being a woman would be gone.

I mentioned that to a buddy at church and he told me, "John, please don't wear a tie!" :lol:

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Today I wore a tartan tie with a light blue shirt. I was NOT forced to wear the tie; I simply wanted to mess with people's minds. And I wore the shirt and tie with men's navy trousers [what we Americans call pants] and men's shoes.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JohnH wrote:Today I wore a tartan tie with a light blue shirt. I was NOT forced to wear the tie; I simply wanted to mess with people's minds. And I wore the shirt and tie with men's navy trousers [what we Americans call pants] and men's shoes.
I'll do that every so often just to keep folks on their toes. I usually get (gently) leaned on by Sapphire at the end of the day who inevitably wonders if I'm trying to send a signal of some sort; at that point I usually ditch the trousers (and to mix common terms and slang in a transatlantic way, "Pants are pants!") in favour of a skirt and out we go.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

The only reason I will be wearing a necktie voluntarily this year will be to wear a double necktie, in celebration of FINALLY coming to the year 2015, in honor of the classic Back to the Future II!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2007 ... ockfry.jpg
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It has been commented online that suits are-essentially-designed with ties in mind. I found some ideas about making the tieless look work.