Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Layne

Re: Being required to wear neckties if you are male.

Post by Layne »

Personally, I can't imagine a time or place that one is "required" to wear a tie - or any other particular item of clothing, for that matter. My children attend a private school, that requires male students to wear a tie; however, I remind them frequently, that they choose to attend that school. They have the option of attending the local public school; that does not require a tie - yet they opt to attend the private school, and the rules (as set forth by the school) were laid out for them, in full, prior to their making the choice to attend.

I think this holds true for many or most situations; many jobs "require" a coat and tie, and I can choose to take that job - or opt to take another, one that does not.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There seems to be a consensus against the compulsion. Not too surprising, as members are iconoclasts regarding clothing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

If you hate ties and you never will be required to wear one again, simply get SRS (Sexual Reasignment Surgery). :lol:

That's a little too drastic for me, so if I do have to wear a tie, I will certainly do so.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Before this thread I never gave jewelry much thought. Now I have become sensitized to the subject. I am starting to notice jewelry worn by women, and the now conspicuous lack of such on men.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Grok,
That's an interesting thought for me too. I've no compulsion to wear a tie and done so only once while skirted, I'd do it again when it fits the occasion or my mood.
Jewellry, that's something I've not tried. Dour Scot, no bling, it's not in our genes.
A challenge to my roots, I like that. I'll post the results.
Steve.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

The only bling I ever wear is my wedding ring. That was even true when I was up and about on Halloween, including work and shopping wearing a black dress and black 3 1/2 inch heel pumps.

John
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

I'm one of the millions who have to wear a tie for work. They are handy for cleaning one's glasses on but otherwise I see no point in them!

Derek :ugeek:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If you think about, neckties are rather dull compared to the neck ware for women.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I play bridge in a group which is 95% women 'of a certain age' and throughout the evening one gets to sit with all of them in turn. Certainly they have great latitude in what they may and do choose to wear about their necks.

This yesterday morning it was Remembrance Sunday and I would not attend Church without a tie. For work I always wear one as befits my position. Next Saturday I will be in the Dublin Dental Hospital addressing a room full of colleagues about what I do. Convention dictates that I present in either a suit or certainly a jacket and tie. It'll be a suit. Attendees may dress more casually, of course.

My day does not start until I've put my varifocals on my nose. There they stay throughout the day and are occasionally cleaned, especially at work. I DON'T use my tie for that, preferring to drive my convertible Bentley through a brush-wash instead :lol:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Kirbstone wrote:My day does not start until I've put my varifocals on my nose. There they stay throughout the day and are occasionally cleaned, especially at work. I DON'T use my tie for that, preferring to drive my convertible Bentley through a brush-wash instead :lol:
I only wear silk ties - there are no scratches on my varifocals!

Lol! Derek :lol:
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I don't every wear ties because they are forced upon men and serve absolutely no purpose. If you ever hear the statement "but a man wearing a suit won't be taken seriously without a tie", you should reply with the following statement:
"Then a woman wearing a suit without a tie can't be taken seriously".

If ties were not forced upon men, then I may consider wearing one on occasion.

Are there any such articles of clothing that are currently forced upon women in the corporate world?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote:Are there any such articles of clothing that are currently forced upon women in the corporate world?
That depends on the milieu you're functioning in. I suspect in very hide-bound environments (like law) pantyhose are likely required if skirts are worn, and sometimes skirts might be demanded of women. It's all a matter of context.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Well this has been an interesting read indeed! For fun I'll put in my two bits worth (that .25 cents). I wore a tie during my working years and I learned that a tie can be a comfortable artical of clothing to wear if two criteria are met: 1. Make sure the collar fits properly that is loose enough so you may easily slide your fingers between your neck and the collar but not so much that a gap can be seen. 2. don't cinch the tie tight but slide the knot up to where it dovetails up to the collar wings and does not show the button fingers must still be able to slide in comfortably.
I don't wear ties much any more except to church and special occasions .

I have met idiots who wore ties and competant intelligent folks who did not. I have worked in jobs where the "uniforms" were of a style that encouraged the customer to treat one as if he or she could not pour water out of a boot with instructions printed on the bottom of the heel. I do believe that the attire does make the difference in the workplace.

In my quote from Paul Harvey below the illogical state of the world is referenced and the inequality of clothing choice is one place where illogical is glareing.

The discussion about what was and what was not so sent my tiny mind down many avenues. I recall from my childhood in the Phoenix vally in Arizona a childrens show called Wallace and Ladmo. Ladmo was the sidekick to Wallace and he wore a T-shirt with a loud necktie loosly knotted about his throat and a top hat. The T-shirt wasn't tucked in either. Later a tie was just simply printed on the t-shirt.

Two more things, I seem to recall that the button down collar was originally designed to be worn as a casual shirt and I think that we should burn mens pants rather than ties!

As always:

Slainte'
Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Let s burn both, Bill.

I can t remember when I last wore a tie. I know As a student in London, we all wore ties, believe it or not, and I began my working life with a tie, but when I went to Morocco, it seemed quite stupid to do so, and I generally wore a cravat (probably has another name outre-Atlantique), which could be bought in GB in a wonderful array of colors and patterns.
Only the most plentiful men wear ties in France, but it seems a little more common in Spain.
Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now I wonder what do 'Plentiful men' in France look like?....rich?, fat?, a lot of 'em?

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !