Liverpool guy saying hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Liverpool guy saying hello

Post by Epiceneguy »

Hi, I'm originally from Liverpool but have moved to Scotland (really should get around to buying a kilt at some point, :D ).
I've worn skirts for a couple of years now, I find them really comfortable to wear around the house and when out on a drive but I don't really have the courage of my convictions and don't go out in public in them (except for driving occasionally) but I do venture out into my garden to relax in them.
I also wear the occasional dress, nightdresses (both male and female) and even the occasional underskirt but I don't consider myself as a crossdresser, I usually wear my skirts with my male T shirts and football tops (Skirts look amazing with sports tops to be honest).

Anyway that's me, so hello everyone :D
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Liverpool guy saying hello

Post by Jim »

Hello and welcome, Epiceneguy. I'm in Illinois, USA.

As I'm now retired (well, really involuntarily unemployed), I'm able to wear skirts much of the time. I, too, often have a masculine shirt, and if not, usually a left-buttoned shirt that would pass as one. I also wear unbifurcated night-wear when I wear something to sleep.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome and if you read some of the past threads most of us here don't consider ourselves cross dressers either. In fact some, me included, can be a bit touchy and some, me included, just don't give a toss. As for wearing a skirt out in the wilds well, you'll get to that stage in your own time. We've all come to the realisation that the "great unwashed" either don't notice or don't care. A knee-length denim skirt is a good first introduction. I went for breakfast skirted in a local Harvester restaurant this morning ans was the only customer there. No comment on the skirt. In fact try it and you'll be welcomed enthusiastically at the moment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Hi Epicineguy.

Agree with your comment on suitable tops, sounds like the sort of thing I wear in Summer. In Winter, I mostly wear heavier skirts and opaque legwear, and I find button up shirts and a slightly more formal look to work better with them.

Underskirts? Do you mean slips? I wear slips for extra warmth sometimes, also if the skirt is unlined and causing problems with cling or drag.

Hope you can get to the point of wearing them where you want, it's awesome!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I've worn skirts for a couple of years now, I find them really comfortable to wear around the house and when out on a drive but I don't really have the courage of my convictions and don't go out in public in them

Welcome aboard;

As you read through some of the posts and old exchanges you will likely find most here have been the same route -- dubious at first, maybe downright petrified, but when the break came, found that the world really does not give a hoot, or much notice. Sure, some will notice, maybe even make a funny (startled) expression, but it is very rare to hear or have any adverse reaction at all; and soon you will get compliments and a few questions, but nothing demeaning.

You will find some suggestions like Sinneds echoed a fair bit in this forum-- a simple knee length or longer denim skirt is almost 'invisible'--test it in a nearby town or spot you may worry less about seeing folks you know to start if that seems easier. "Cargo skirts tend to look masculine and are sometimes an easy entre. Soon you will be skirting daily anywhere! Best advise: Wear it with confidence, "own-it" as you set out lest you provoke a reaction by your own demeanor.

Enjoy the site -- lots of interesting stuff and erudite guys here to chat with.

Pura Vida from Ticolandia (Costa Rican slogan; Pure Life)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Epiceneguy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 am Hi, I'm originally from Liverpool but have moved to Scotland (really should get around to buying a kilt at some point, :D ).
I've worn skirts for a couple of years now, I find them really comfortable to wear around the house and when out on a drive but I don't really have the courage of my convictions and don't go out in public in them (except for driving occasionally) but I do venture out into my garden to relax in them.
I also wear the occasional dress, nightdresses (both male and female) and even the occasional underskirt but I don't consider myself as a crossdresser, I usually wear my skirts with my male T shirts and football tops (Skirts look amazing with sports tops to be honest).

OK, that's slightly scary, speaking as a Scouser now living in Scotland and wearing skirts! I'll double check, no , that wasn't me, this is!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

lol, it's only natural that Scousers should wear skirts, we're blessed with great looking legs :lol:
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:55 pm
Epiceneguy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 am Hi, I'm originally from Liverpool but have moved to Scotland (really should get around to buying a kilt at some point, :D ).

OK, that's slightly scary, speaking as a Scouser now living in Scotland and wearing skirts! I'll double check, no , that wasn't me, this is!

I have spoken to both of you Scoucers on separate topics...now I have you together....There is a webb site for the
Liverpool Scottish Highlanders.. a territorial highland regiment.....They wear the Forbes Tartan .....
Forbes was their officer in charge
I trust my information is correct....A bit of Liverpool Heritage for you....When I checked it out I considered Forbes was the Tartan I should wear as my family are a Sept of the Forbes.....
I am into this heritage thing as to who the Scots actually were and where
they have gone in their travels...
My uncle was a Lowland Scot..he married my mothers sister...he worked in Portland Dockyard ,The one up your way...
Liverpool or Birkenhead and then Malta

His wife looked a bit like one of The Dark Eyed Spanish Maidens in The Family who came into Poole Harbour
with a Scottish Sea Captain
.....By digging around a Fisherman suggested that I looked Maltese ,Like his father ...who was Maltese
.....Sometimes my girl cousin looks Indian....
But for a Sailing Ship ,Malta is a long way from Poole Harbour......I am just waiting for someone to disprove my story.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

A lady admired my legs when I was showing my knees under my shortish skirt...Sometimes they get exited when they see
my beautiful patterned long summer skirts.....The lassies do like my choice of skirts and wish to wear my skirts instead
of their tight trousers. Some of their trousers do not leave much to the male imagination.....
Some of my Kilting Adventures are a bit raw for this webb site.
I may have worked out what they mean when they say " I love to see a man in a Kilt "
One Lassie told me what happened at her Kilted Highland Wedding twenty years ago.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am Hello and welcome, Epiceneguy. I'm in Illinois, USA.

As I'm now retired (well, really involuntarily unemployed), I'm able to wear skirts much of the time. I, too, often have a masculine shirt, and if not, usually a left-buttoned shirt that would pass as one. I also wear unbifurcated night-wear when I wear something to sleep.
Jim " Unbiforcated " is a word we do not hear very often these days ....The full anacronym was M.U.G.
Male Unbiforcated Skirt........ "W.O.G." was a 1940's British Military Anacronym for the " Westernised Oriental Gentleman "

My family reference was directly to the Jordanian Buisiness men who forsook their native robes and wore Business Suits to work.

This trend cost employers a lot of money as in later years as the staff complained they were too hot whilst working in trousers,
so the management had to fit air conditioning in the offices.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Weeladdie,
One of my Mother's grandparents (I think) was half Scottish, which is how I worked out that I was 1/16th Scottish. Well diluted, but it helped me choose my tartan, a Ross hunting tartan was my choice for both of my trad. kilts. Most of my skirts are blue, black or khaki, nothing patterned. A neighbour a couple of days ago had seen me gardening, well attacking hedges. He posted something on Facebook about me gardening in a kilt and stirring up the midges, I was actually wearing one of my most comfortable blue wide A line skirts but I suppose from a hundred yards or so it might look like a blue kilt. I really like that skirt (went back and bought a second one) but it is rather floaty in a breeze, much more so than a kilt. I really like the length, a bit longer than a kilt, covers my knees but not by much, saves potential embarrassment when seated. Wish they had pockets though!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello Epiceneguy

Although a member of this forum my infrequent login, last time was 7 months ago, I do not think I have the authority to say welcome to the forum. What I will say is pleased to meet yet another man in a skirt and hope this forum gives you more confidence and encouragement but from your intro post sounds like you are more than on the way.

I do walk in skirts, most of my amateur building hobby, not my one day a week garden for clients due practical reasons but unless their is a reason that trousers are the item then in all other aspects of life I will always have a skirt on including doctors, hospitals, even as a patient, dentists, restaurants etc. Skirts hang in my wardrobe, the odd trousers under the bed! When I first went public in 2011 it was very odd, strange and yes self conscious but as time goes by the easier it gets and not to long it becomes like having a cup of tea/coffee or pint for those that prefer. The secret is to ignore those that are looking at you especially those you think are looking at you. If you have confidence in yourself, that confidence passes to others. I live in a very rural and conservative area. Yes some do not agree with it, some do not speak to me but that happens when I am a man in trousers and to the vast majority of us for a variety of reasons. Nobody is perfect in the eyes of another. Many in my area do talk and interact with me including farmers, builders and gamekeepers. I also find the same when not in my own locality as I confident with myself and interact just as others do. If they don't want to, that's their choice. You cannot be friends and liked by everybody and that applies to all for a variety of reasons. Be you, others are.

I too do not consider myself as a cross dresser. Women have set the precedent and quite honestly men in trousers are the cross dresser surely! You mention cross dresser in reference to underskirt as well. I too wear underskirts, I use the word slip, and with the exception of a bra, have no need or purpose for one and footwear, as they not only do not fit but I do not like the styles, I openly invade the female wardrobe with regards clothes. I am not a cross dresser, I embrace freedom of choice, expression and individuality just like women do these days.

I find getting out and about in the real world in skirts is the best way to be seen, acknowledged and respected than on social media and I do spend most of my time in the real world promoting men in skirts, mostly in silence but providing the presence. I do not ignore social media as that is yet another opening but meeting someone behind a screen is not the same as meeting someone in person and dispelling any preconceived thoughts of a man in a skirt unlike for women in trousers.

After today may be a while before I return to SkirtCafe but one never knows. I keep saying I will pop back more frequently but...

Keep wearing that skirt and good luck with taking it further.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.