Hailings from Mexico City!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
MasterGeek.MX
Location: Mexico City, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Hailings from Mexico City!

Post by MasterGeek.MX »

Hi guys, I'm a 23-year old computer sciences student born and living in Mexico City.

I got interesed on skirts in high school. A fusion of curiosity, teenage so-what-ness and 10% of fetish I went to my local supermarket and got a denims skirt. It wasn't my size at all so I could only use it unzipped. With time I bougth several ones, most of them near the knee length. I have two denims (one black and one blue), a khaki silky one and I'm looking into tactical skirts and maybe some kilt.

Despite being mexican I have british ascendance (my granny's surname is Thames actually) so I kinda have an excuse to kilts :P

Currently I only use skirts alone in home or in company of trusty friends and some cousins. Despite being in Mexico City, the most 'open mind' city on all the country there is still some social pressure, mostly because the manskirt movement is mostly unheard here, so a lot of people think I'm a crossdresser (having David Gilmour long-like hair doesn't help), so I use them in pblic only in some social events that I know people can be more receptive (like the last concert I went, A Japanse Math Rock band called Tricot). I'm planning to move me and the neigbouhood there is more open minded (pictrue a portland culture) so I will use my clothes more there.

Anyway, cheers!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hailings from Mexico City!

Post by Freedomforall »

Hello and welcome! I would love to move to Mexico. How did you hear about the cafe?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MasterGeek.MX wrote:Hi guys, I'm a 23-year old computer sciences student born and living in Mexico City.
Greetings from the resident CS geek. So, is it hardware? Software? EE? I run the entire gamut of CS geekness, deal with hardware and software issues alike easily, and restore computer systems from the 1960s and 1970s to running condition for fun (there not being much profit in it).

Good job on being able to buck the modern convention of trousers-only for guys.

On the topic of the Kilt -- one needs not even a whit of Scots blood in him to be able to wear a kilt. Simply pick a non-clan-specific tartan (or a plain weave) and be done with and wear it proudly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
MasterGeek.MX

Post by MasterGeek.MX »

crfriend wrote:
MasterGeek.MX wrote:Hi guys, I'm a 23-year old computer sciences student born and living in Mexico City.
Greetings from the resident CS geek. So, is it hardware? Software? EE? I run the entire gamut of CS geekness, deal with hardware and software issues alike easily, and restore computer systems from the 1960s and 1970s to running condition for fun (there not being much profit in it).

Good job on being able to buck the modern convention of trousers-only for guys.

On the topic of the Kilt -- one needs not even a whit of Scots blood in him to be able to wear a kilt. Simply pick a non-clan-specific tartan (or a plain weave) and be done with and wear it proudly.
It's mostly software. My carrer is near of software egineering but with some extras. We take a lot of math but barely electronic and hardware subjects (only computer architectures and some optatives from electronic engineering). The next trimester (my collge goes by periods of 3 months) I'm planning on getting my first optative: Heuristic Methods Bio-Inspired in Optimization (if that was hairy name picture me translating that from spanish). We are trained to be basically a programming swiss-knife ready to go to an enterprise or even make a startup company.

Despite being a millenial I LOVE old tech. I'm a huge fan of youtube channels that revew, repair and explain old tech. Maybe you heard some of them: The 8-Bit Guy (formerly The iBook Guy), Techmoan and Technology connections.

And I make the kilt pretext mecause I'm used to do it for the culture. I missed that on my post but here a sligth homophobic culture is present and the train of though is man with long hair + a skirt -> crossdresser -> gay. LGBTT are tolerated, but in a sense of "OMFG, lookat those. Ugh, just don't steer at them and pretend they aren't there". I myself have gay/lesbian friends and I'm no homophobic, but I'm not from their 'town'.
Mexico is hard for a skirter, but I'm making what I can do.
MasterGeek.MX

Post by MasterGeek.MX »

Freedomforall wrote:Hello and welcome! I would love to move to Mexico. How did you hear about the cafe?
I searched for it. Was looking for a place to discuss the subjec but the subreddit it's a bit desert.

And yes! you are welcome. Keep in mind that for the moment skirting here is kinda reserved for those liberar neigbourhoods (like condesa, roma, narvarte, polanco) because som are very religious and conservative (like iztapalapa, the 'detroit' of mexico city). A lot of people have the train of thought man in skirt -> gay -> sinner.
Mexico is hard for a skirter, but I'm making what I can do.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welcome to this place of open minds and other strange behavior. As far as I understand it, you must be quite brave to wear a skirt in a country where there is a lot of machismo.
I'm glad you could find SkirtCafe and that the Internet could get through the border wall. Happy skirting. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey, MG, just to let you know, the manskirt movement is pretty much unheard of everywhere [0]. That's why we have to be the trend setters. Where I live I feel that I'm pretty much the only male skirt wearer in the city! You will find that even those of us that are used to venturing out in skirts sometimes it takes that intake of breath, the calm of the nerves before stepping out of the door. After all, many years of social indoctrination takes time to overcome. Welcome, and do participate.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Sinned wrote:Hey, MG, just to let you know, the manskirt movement is pretty much unheard of everywhere [0]. That's why we have to be the trend setters. Where I live I feel that I'm pretty much the only male skirt wearer in the city! You will find that even those of us that are used to venturing out in skirts sometimes it takes that intake of breath, the calm of the nerves before stepping out of the door. After all, many years of social indoctrination takes time to overcome. Welcome, and do participate.
Calming the nerves before stepping out of the door? I do that too and when swivelling out of the car at the supermarket as well. :wink:
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

¡Hola, MG! Bienvenido a SkirtCafe. Te digo bien hecho por llevar una falda en una sociedad machista.

Even though I have worn a skirt in a variety of settings, there are still places I feel nervous (such as MacDonald's late in the evening, when it's full of loud-mouthed teenagers). Would you get away with wearing a skirt to classes? In the UK and US, university students are often quite progressive and open-minded.

I hope you manage to overcome the social pressures and wear what you want. Many hear can testify to having made that journey and never looked back.