Hello from Boston, MA

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Hello from Boston, MA

Post by FranTastic444 »

Hi all

So glad that I found this site - had a great time reading through some of the posts. Based upon his mention of the 'T', I probably live somewhere near to crfriend.

Looking forwards to reading more and posting when the wife has her back turned :-)
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Boston, MA

Post by Freedomforall »

Hello and a warmest welcome to you. Glad you found this site. What types of skirts do you wear?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote:..Looking forwards to reading more and posting when the wife has her back turned...
Welcome, FranTastic444, glad to have you aboard!

Looking forward to some photos and experiences.

What do you wear, and where, and when?

And what's the situation with your wife? Wives tend to be the least-tolerant people on earth about skirt-wearing, but there are degrees and even success stories. Have you discussed it with her?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

When I saw "hello from Boston" it made me have to go to Youtube and listen to the song, "Please Come to Boston".
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'm pretty new to skirt wearing. I've only recently got seriously into this pastime in the last few months - some 35 years after my first experience as an early teen.

About a year back whilst on holiday I came back to my hotel with my wife having had waaaay too much booze. For some reason, I know not why, I convinced my wife to let me try on her underwear. Even in a drunken haze I could tell that the wife was not impressed. We talked about it next day and I explained how I'd been formulating this idea in my head that all clothes should be universal and guys should be able to wear whatever they wanted. I talked about how shorts are so similar to skirts and how tunics are just like long t-shirts and I also mentioned about kilts and guys historically wearing tights, skirts etc. She agreed with all of this and even said how silly it was that society behaved this way. BUT, it was crystal clear that she didn't want me dressing up - she was convinced that I was turning gay and / or was about to leave her. The one good thing that came out of this episode was that my wife 'introduced' me to men's bikini briefs. After wearing boxers since I was a teen, this clothing was a revelation!

A little while later we were watching my wife's favorite tv show - Outlander. I don't know who's plan it was, but I found myself on Amazon and ordering a utility kilt, a cheap traditional kilt and a Jacobite Ghillie kilt shirt. Treating this as a green light I also went a little crazy and got a sports skirt, a couple of dresses and a tunic from Zulily and a load of 'men's lingerie' from xdress (what a mistake). At this point my thoughts on what type / style of clothes I wanted to wear was in it's infancy and I just purchased stuff pretty randomly just as a starting position. The xdress stuff was a real mistake and, looking back, I can see why my wife might have been shouting gay, gay, gay in her head. The tunic and the dresses didn't work for me either, but the skirt and the utility kit were a great success (in my mind at least). The wife was happy to see me in the utility kilt, but she told me that she didn't even want to see me in the skirt. As an aside, the trad kilt was a bit low rent and looks like a picnic blanket in a new lease of life. Forgot to mention, I also tried to put together an alternative outfit to please the wife, by getting some riding trousers and a pair of riding boots (trying to recreate a Mr Darcy look, and looking nothing like Colin Firth in the process).

About a month ago I had the very rare situation of being left alone in the home for about 10 days whilst my wife was visiting family (first time this has happened in 20 years of us being together). I hit Amazon hard and ordered all sorts of stuff to help me work out what style worked for me. In all this time I never wore trousers or shorts in the house - sheer bliss. More misses than hits with my purchases due to sizing issues and styles that did not work, but my wardrobe now consists of a utility kilt, a sports skirt, a skater skirt, a denim skirt that is maybe a little too short and a pair each of pantyhose, tights and super-soft leggings to finish off the look. They all look great when combined with the riding boots I mentioned above and with Bean boots and Adidas canvas trainers. For tops I wore shirts or collared golf t-shirts.

I find it interesting that I have zero interest in men's clothing. I buy stuff when I have to, just to keep me from going naked. Women's clothing is so much more varied and more interesting to me - I never expected to 'fall in love' with my skirts, but that is pretty much what I've done.

In my 10 days of freedom, I never did pluck up the courage to go out for a hike in the utility kilt as I'd promised myself I would. I did walk down the street to get the mail in the skater skirt, but this was about 2.00am, so chances of being seen were slim.

Still working on a strategy for the wife. Plan to wear the utility kilt tonight as we catch-up on Outlander. There was some talk from the wife (no idea why) of going to Gay Pride this weekend, which might have been my excuse to wear something from my new wardrobe, but she has now decided that we have too many house chores to attend to. I have this crazy, crazy idea of suggesting some mutual 'pampering' with my wife. She really looks after her skin and she has loads of potions and a comprehensive beauty regime. She has often tried to engage me in such sessions and I just wonder whether participating may ease the transition towards me wearing a skirt (if it is acceptable for a guy to have skin treatment or a pedicure / manicure, why not do it whilst wearing a skirt??). Not totally sure on that one yet.....
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It sounds like you're really into this skirt thing and having lots of fun with it. Congratulations!

If your wife is happy with you in a utility kilt, get a few more and keep wearing them occasionally. Then after a while (like, not next week) transition into something low-key like a denim knee-length "jeans" skirt. Even if these aren't your ultimate favorite style, if they help your wife ease into tolerance that's a win.

Be prepared to tell here you're not gay, or becoming so, and have no interest in that area. It might also help to point out that few if any gay me wear skirts.

She may also ask if you're turning transsexual or drag-queen transvestite. But just tell her (assuming it's true) that skirts look fun and comfortable and you don't see why men can't wear them. It's just your latest crazy hobby.

Wearing a skirt in public is usually scary at first, and you're probably not going to believe this, but actually it's no big deal for anyone but you. A high percentage of people will be intent on their business and not even notice. The rest may show a split second of surprise followed by an, "Oh well," but that shouldn't be a problem. Everywhere you go there are people wearing all kinds of crazy things. People are used to it and really don't care what you wear. Just appear relaxed and confident If somebody locks on, throw them a friendly smile and wish them a nice day.

Gas stations and convenience stores seem to be common venues for going out the first time, probably because you can always make a quick getaway. But my first adventure was wearing a utility kilt to a tattoo convention that had several thousand people in attendance so just go wherever you're most comfortable.

(Tattoo shows, of course, are quite countercultural, with lots of people dressing in wild outfits and/or showing a lot of tattoos (skin). Goth, B&D, biker, 1950's glamor, hippie, chaps, whatever, it's impossible to be misdressed.)

Good luck on your new adventure!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
FranTastic444 wrote:I'm pretty new to skirt wearing. I've only recently got seriously into this pastime in the last few months - some 35 years after my first experience as an early teen. She really looks after her skin and she has loads of potions and a comprehensive beauty regime. I have this crazy, crazy idea of suggesting some mutual 'pampering' with my wife. She has often tried to engage me in such sessions and I just wonder whether participating may ease the transition towards me wearing a skirt (if it is acceptable for a guy to have skin treatment or a pedicure / manicure, why not do it whilst wearing a skirt??). Not totally sure on that one yet.....
Welcome to the skirtcafe!

As for pampering your self with skin treatments, manicures and pedicures go for it many men do this and I am not talking about gay men but real big muscled and such type guys. As for doing it in a skirt I always wear skirts when I get my pedicures and the girls love it.

So enjoy yourself and keep on skirting!!

P.S. I now wear only skirts and dresses and no longer wear trousers or shorts.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

FranTastic444 wrote:
I find it interesting that I have zero interest in men's clothing. I buy stuff when I have to, just to keep me from going naked. Women's clothing is so much more varied and more interesting to me
About the only mens wear that I find interesting are open ended garments (such as kilts) that are designed for men. The other stuff is dull at best.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

While out shopping in one of the big stores and in the clothing section MOH will usually ask if there's anything in the men's section for me. I will then lead her gently around and point out the blandness and drabness of the attire; no bright colours or interesting fabrics and then point out why I am not interested in buying any of the junk. The last men's wear I bought was a couple of pairs of black trousers for work. So have I any interest in men's fashion - no, not really. FT444, MOH's opposition is well documented on this site and I'm afraid that you'll just have to treasure any acceptance that she's prepared to give, determine the boundaries and advance them by baby steps. Good luck. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Well, after a day of wearing the utility kilt yesterday, I walked into the bedroom in the skater skirt this morning as a trigger to having a conversation with the wife that I should have had many years ago.

I gave her the full explanation (she was surprised when I told her I'd been wearing women's clothes secretly since the age of 10-11). Did a lot of reassuring that I'm not gay, a transvestite or a cross dresser. I'm not about to run off with anyone (male or female) and I won't be booking in for any surgery :-) I also pointed her in the direction of this site, so please bear in mind that she might read this post at some time.....
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, FT444.

I can't be the only one waiting on tenterhooks for an update about your wife's considered response to your skirt and your revelation. Based on my own experience and those of others reported here, I am not expecting good news. But I sincerely hope that that is what you have. And if not, then keep trying, gently!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

skirtyscot wrote:I can't be the only one waiting on tenterhooks for an update about your wife's considered response to your skirt and your revelation.
She hasn't left home, YET. Maybe that's just because I took the precaution of locking all the doors and windows and hiding the car keys beforehand :D

Seriously though, she was a little surprised, but I think glad overall that I had the conversation with her. She seems to be pretty relaxed with me wearing skirts round the house (though she agrees that the denim skirt is so short as to be indecent :lol: ). This is a huge relief - I told her that I'd enjoyed skirting so much whilst she was away that the thought of carrying it on secretly wasn't something I relished.
ManInASkirt

Post by ManInASkirt »

Welcome from another newbie. Seems like things are moving quite fast for you! Exploring is fun - find what works for you not only in terms of style but in terms of social acceptance by your wife - find your balance (by pushing the boundaries). Keep coming back and sharing!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Well, a bit of a backward step to report. Last Sunday went just too smooth to be true. Turns out that my wife needed some time to process what I'd told her. She spent the Monday on the Internet (including this site) and whilst she came across some positive content that backed up what I'd told her the day before, she also saw a lot of stuff "that she wasn't comfortable with" (though she didn't explain what that was).

This was bad timing as I had Clients and overseas colleagues with me so I was working long days and then going out each evening for food and drinks - coming back late and a bit worse for wear. Though my wife wanted to talk to me she decided to bide her time. Things came to a head on Thursday night and we ended up having a big heart to heart into the wee small hours. I won't go into all the gory details, but I think we are now in a place where my wife is comfortable with the skater skirt for indoor use only.

Interestingly, the thing that was gnawing away at her was the fact that I'd kept my 'secret' from her for so many years and she worried that there were more skeletons in the closet that I'd not disclosed. I answered, in all honestly, I couldn't have come clean any earlier as I'd only very recently come clean to myself - I've pretty much been living in denial for all these years.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote:Interestingly, the thing that was gnawing away at her was the fact that I'd kept my 'secret' from her for so many years and she worried that there were more skeletons in the closet that I'd not disclosed. I answered, in all honestly, I couldn't have come clean any earlier as I'd only very recently come clean to myself - I've pretty much been living in denial for all these years.
This is precisely why I keep hammering on the topics of openness and sincere honesty with those we love most. If we're not open and honest about it and "live a lie" by hiding in the shadows, sooner or later the truth will out and panic those around you -- and, worse, set up the inevitable question of, "What else is he hiding?"

At least the cat is out of the bag now, and it sounds like it went about as well as one could reasonably expect. Now it's on to damage-control and regaining the trust that has inevitably been lost. The most important thing now is to show her that you're still the same man that you were before this all came out, save that now your slightly altered sartorial sense is now in the open.

As far as seeing stuff on the Internet that's disturbing, that's going to happen with anything you choose to look for -- and to be honest, most of the discussion of men wearing anything other than male-marketed drab is going to generate a large ration of negativity. This is about the only place like it in the entire vastness of "cyberspace" that treats the notion with dignity and respect.

Best of luck!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!