Men can "rock" skirts too!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men can "rock" skirts too!

Post by Sinned »

FF, uncertainty and indecision is perfectly normal as we are right at the beginning of a learning curve that girls and women have taken for granted all of their lives. I can certainly empathise with the notion of a woman trying on many outfits before declaring that they have nothing to wear. I have many times tried on different skirts to go with a particular top before deciding on the one to wear ( often the first one I tried on ). I don't think that the uncertainty ever goes away just more so at times than others - I personally just become used to it and get on with life. I certainly don't peruse my vicinity for reactions to my skirts because, quite frankly I don't care what the others think of me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, FF! Looking good in those skirts; my pick of the three photos is the second one, with the navy tights. The patterned skirt is nice - clearly better than to have never loved at all - but what happened to it?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, FF! Looking good in those skirts; my pick of the three photos is the second one, with the navy tights. The patterned skirt is nice - clearly better than to have never loved at all - but what happened to it?
Thanks Skirtyscot. The blue tight did work really well with this outfit. The combination of brown boots and blue tights is in trend right now. This skirt also worked with grey tights. See pic below.

We sold our condo last year and I think the skirt accidently got put in the donation pile during packing. I was probably rushing and was not paying attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:...I can certainly empathise with the notion of a woman trying on many outfits before declaring that they have nothing to wear. I have many times tried on different skirts to go with a particular top before deciding on the one to wear...
This feels like it should be an entry in the "before I wore skirts I never" thread. :D
Daryl...
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Hi Feeling Freedom, welcome to the cafe!!

Loved your outfits, especially the denim skirt with boots. A lumberjack shirt with the denim skirt surely looks appropriate for a work related event.

Cheers,

Tes
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

My opinion on men's skirts being common place and in the men's department. We need a cheap practical skirt for men. The few men's or unisex skirts on the market are expensive . Till someone developes and sells a skirt for men for the price of or less than jeans or shorts, the man skirt will never catch on.
I can't speak for all men. So I will speak for myself, I'm cheap, a cheap or on sale on all clothing. A formal suit and my kilts are my most expensive garments I own. 95 for the suit, 45 dollar's for a kilt.
I also don't care for fashions. Plain practical men's wear. Plain practical skirts with pockets. Familiar materials would seem less threatening to someone trying a skirt for the first time. Denim, twill, jersey, buying from skirts from the womens side just perpetuates that skirts are not normal menswear hence nothing will change.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Thank you Tes, denim skirts and boots is my favourite style. I enjoy trying all kind of combinations. This is my casual Friday look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

buying from skirts from the womens side just perpetuates that skirts are not normal menswear hence nothing will change.
Valid point. To make the garment cheaper though you need to do large production runs. In order to produce low cost products there needs to be volume orders so demand needs to be proven through market research in order to justify production. There also needs to be proof of continuing orders for the future in order to fit the product into a new or existing business portfolio. Where I work is part of the manufacturing sector and we do not even show interest in small orders, there is no margin in it. We would have to charge a high price as you see with skirts for men.

The question is.....how do we show the markets that there is a high and growing demand for men's skirts?
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting -- CRF
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FF, don't tell VC as he thinks that denim skirts are difficult to meld into one's wardrobe particularly for the newbie. I disagree but then this world wouldn't be the same if we all think alike. BTW you look good in your denim skirt but you would be better tucking the shirt in. It looks a bit odd sticking out from you outer garment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Keep going, Dennis, and Tom will appoint you as forum fashion policeman, in place of me!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Alastair, You're far too young to retire!, and who am I to appoint anybody?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Thanks for your input sinned. I usually tuck in but I have been seeing the untucked approach a lot on Pinterest so I thought I would give it a whirl. Thank you for the compliment on my denim skirt! I absolutely love it and have a couple!
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

FF, I think your casual Friday outfit looks great !! The vest and the skirt go well together.

You must have lots of fans in Pinterest :-)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

FSP (Forum sartorial Police) here, FF. We don't like the untucked look. Sod Pinterest. Untidy under short top, shortens the skirt and ruins the proportions. Back to the bottom of the Class. Do like the denim though and it's a shame to hide it.

Even my tank top in the attached pic. is a tad too long.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Feeling freedom wrote:
buying from skirts from the womens side just perpetuates that skirts are not normal menswear hence nothing will change.
Valid point. To make the garment cheaper though you need to do large production runs. In order to produce low cost products there needs to be volume orders so demand needs to be proven through market research in order to justify production. There also needs to be proof of continuing orders for the future in order to fit the product into a new or existing business portfolio. Where I work is part of the manufacturing sector and we do not even show interest in small orders, there is no margin in it. We would have to charge a high price as you see with skirts for men.

The question is.....how do we show the markets that there is a high and growing demand for men's skirts?
BE SEEN WEARING THEM. Also, reward providers with sales. There's no substitute for supply-side change; no clever human rights arguments, no trends in the fashion industry, nothing. It truly is a chicken and egg problem.
Daryl...