Introduction from the Cold Cotswolds :-)

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
RadicalJohnB

Introduction from the Cold Cotswolds :-)

Post by RadicalJohnB »

Hello all! I've been a skirt and dress wearer since my 1980s commune days, and have just found the café via the Facebook Men in Skirts group. Isn't networking wonderful?
Very happy to communicate with fellow freedom-to-wear-what-we-choose folks, especially in the UK and especially of the older variety (like 60+).
I wear skirts, dresses and kilts on a regular basis, and I'm pleasantly surprised at just how much positive feedback I get these days.
So, hello, and look forward to getting involved in the discussion and the revolution!
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introduction from the Cold Cotswolds :-)

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
John welcome to the cafe. We are glad you found us. We are a fun bunch of skirt, kilt, and dress wearing guys. We focus mostly on the skirts and kilts but dress are also talked about. We have many members from the UK and all over the rest of the world. So find a seat, grab a cuppa and enjoy the conversations.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi RJB,

Welcome &c. I know that when one visits villages in the Cotswolds one winds the clock back just a bit. That's the charm of the region. Hence I see that you are basking in Autumnal sunshine while the rest of us are bracing ourselves for the arrival of 'the Beast from the East'. According to reports the Yorkies have decided to share their weather with the rest of us. :blue:

I see also from your pic. that you risk getting posted on SkirtyScot's sartorial miscreants list, the reason being the colours of your dress/tunic and tights. In the past I have come in for serious castigation at his keypad, so I know what it feels like.

Enjoy the Forum....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the cafe. I have been a member for a year or two now and I can genuinely say that I enjoy my time here. There's the odd storm in a teacup every now and again but that will always happen when you get a group together as diverse as we are. Yes, Tom even here in York we have had a bit of the white stuff. Had a bit of a dusting last night, think icing sugar on a cake. But the sun is shining brightly and, although we keep getting a few flakes now and again, I think that by tonight it will be all gone.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Good Morning from the United States! Welcome to SkirtCafe as well. I began this journey in my mind many years ago. About a year and a half ago I finally got the courage to make public appearances wearing skirts and kilts. I am grateful for this group as they were the catalyst for my courage.

DJ
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ho Ho, Dennis, Just you wait!

Our esteemed forecasters are talking about Waterloo here....a clash between Storm Emma and the 'Beast from the East' over the next couple of days and there'll be carnage aloft & heavy casualties on both sides.... We are to expect severe fallout as a result. This is the take the form of fluffy white stuff that'll get blown about a bit.

Tom
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome to SkirtCafe, RadicalJohnB!

It's always good to see new members posting a picture at the outset, it should encourage the waverers. Nice bold colours there, I like that. Not sure what Kirbstone's problem with them might be. :wink:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

There you are, RJohnB, an Imprimatur from SkScot. :)

Consider yourself emancipated and we look forward to further sartorial colour-feasts from you.

Re: the weather......They say white goes with everything. :D

Tom
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome! :cheers: You have come to the right place.

I like the bright colors I see in your image.

Lately, there seems to be an increased interest in dresses in this forum. And, of course, a diversity of skirts is discussed.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, we had about an inch and a half last night and odd flurries during the day. There is more scheduled for overnight. York is in a valley so snowfall here is light. There can be several inches a few miles away and we just get a dusting. Where I live I am on the outskirts of the city. When we first moved in we were right on the outer edge with an old wartime airfield just over the road but they build a housing and trading estate on it so now it's not quite. As MOH is at work all day I was looking forward to all day in a skirt ( to tea time at least ) until our local secondary school sent out texts saying that it was closed for the day and I have had two teenage girls hanging around the house. So that notion went out of the window. Oh, well. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah well, It's no wonder you have satsumas all year round in York, Dennis.

Re: schools closure, Join the Club. We woke here this morning to a Winter Wonderland and I measured 7 inches/18cms with a ruler on a flat surface by our terrace. They're promising us buckets more tomorrow & Friday. No skirting for a while and everybody's house-bound.

A neighbour kindly cleared our 150-yd. drive with his new teleporter machine, but I haven't ventured out all day, so I took the first snow pics for 7 years.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yesterday and today ( so far ) has been wall to wall snow and it's still snowing ( gently ) now. Of course there's the usual roads blocked ( across the Pennines and in Scotland and elsewhere ) and there's more due today and for the next few days. We're not used to it, you see. Snow like this only comes along every 5 or 6 years or so and we're never prepared enough. Schools closed, vehicles trapped on closed roads, people not believing when the authorities ask them not to travel unless absolutely necessary. We've probably had about 3 inches here in York and it's very dry powdery stuff, easily cleaned off vehicles with a squeegee, an ice scraper not needed. I do have icicles hanging from my car. Yet some of you report 10 inches or more in one night/day. Scary, from MPOV.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy the chats. Would love to hear more from you.

Outside our door, I measured 31.5cm of snow this morning. And we've had another 8-10cm today and more expected this evening.
And the driveway I had cleared has filled up again. Running out of places to shovel the snow to!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Firstly, Welcome RadicalJohnB. Always nice to see a new person on the forum, especially (for me) one that adds a bit of colour to the place. I look forward to seeing some more posts.
Grok wrote:Lately, there seems to be an increased interest in dresses in this forum.
Interesting observation. I would say it's certainly true of myself. Is it just a natural progression? When I first wore skirts out an about I don't recall ever being drawn to dresses, however, almost 20 years on (can it really be that long!!!) I find myself rooting through the dresses at the charity rather than the skirts. Anyone else find the same?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Perhaps if one tries skirts, and likes them, one becomes curious about other open ended garments? :?: