Old Men ?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old Men ?

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Been there, done that, don't remember.

I'm in my early 40s. I have been a behind the scenes skirt wearer since my teens. Got me first kilt just a little over a year ago.
I am caught in that there is the I want to wear skirts and kilts, but I am expcted to be an everyday guy and do what everyone else is doing and wear trousers grouping.
It does seem like the younger men are missing out. But it is agreed that in earlier years, we care more about what others think of us and eventually we get to a certain age where we say I don't care waht others think. We can all think of instances where the extremly young or old freely speak they're mind. The world might be a better place if people were more candid all through life.

Not sure where I'm going with this, hopefully you kinda got the idea.

A wise machinist I used to work with used to say : "Getting old is not for Wimps." I agree

Another tidbit of wisdom. Those who celebrate more birthdays typically live longer.

Mishawakaskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Another tidbit of wisdom. Those who celebrate more birthdays typically live longer.

Mishawakaskirt
True but remember this: "You will never again be as young as you are right now."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Before we start griping about how bad it is being "an old man" let's recall the benefits:
  • If we've been wise, we've learnt a lot and have a deep background in things.
  • If we've done well in life, we are well respected in our fields for our knowledge and prowess.
  • We're secure in who we are as individuals -- and that has likely come at a price.
  • We have confidence and poise that the youngsters envy, even if they don't admit it.
  • We have the power to really shape our own final destinies.
  • We can stare down naysayers trivially.
  • We truly have "Been there, done that" -- whether we still have the T-shirt or not. (scars notwithstanding)
  • We know stupid mistakes when we see them -- and we try, frequently in vain, to keep our younger brethren from making them.
  • We're ignored by our younger brethren because we're "old farts" and so get to have our way.
I'm sure there are more, but that's a starting point.

I quite like where I am now, and actually haven't been happier in years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hate to bust up this Werther's Original moment here... but there are a few young(er) whipper-snappers in the ranks here... 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, everything is relative - you are old to very young people.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

It looks like the original poster got scared from the reactions to his post. Maybe he hangs on to his nick. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:It looks like the original poster got scared from the reactions to his post.///
Yes, Nevermore, are you there?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

oldsalt1 wrote: I can't say why there are so many older members. . Could be that we have all reached a point in life where we are tired of doing whats expected and are going to do what we want.
Doing whats expected....

At a tender young age males are locked in the suffocating/stultifying little box of (conventional) masculinity.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:...At a tender young age males are locked in the suffocating/stultifying little box of (conventional) masculinity.
Now there's a turn of phrase...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

hoborob wrote:
mishawakaskirt wrote:

Mishawakaskirt
True but remember this: "You will never again be as young as you are right now."
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional...

--Rick
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote:
Grok wrote:...At a tender young age males are locked in the suffocating/stultifying little box of (conventional) masculinity.
Now there's a turn of phrase...
Another metaphor...a prison sentence. Starting in childhood.

Should this be a lifetime sentence?
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Is there anyone younger than 60 on here? I noticed that as well :blue:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JoePublic wrote:Is there anyone younger than 60 on here? I noticed that as well :blue:
Several, actually; this is not exclusively the province of The Elders -- and everybody of all ages is welcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I'm 60 years old.

It may well be that it is mostly older men who have finally gotten around to change, for reasons already mentioned....

But I imagine that there is an equal number of younger men who would be interested.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I am only 53!

John