If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Just joined and thought i would say a quick hello. I live in Richmond West London and are happily married with three lovely children still at home.
I think my thing for wearing skirts has always been in me just suppressed by social norms for most of my life. I have always worn clothes that are different or just plain "out there" since my teenage years (I am now in my early 50's) really bright colours, unusual items and just stuff that people see as different. I just see wearing skirts as a natural progression of my clothing choices.
I love wearing skirts, i love the feeling of freedom of my legs! it has to be bare legs for me, i don't subscribe to the tights thing, that is just too feminine for me. The same goes for shoes, i don't like wearing women's shoes (I have experimented but it's not for me). I guess I am happy with just being a bloke who wears skirts.
My wife and kids see me in my skirts around the house regularly as just accept it as me. I have been out in a kilt (black) to Camden Market with my wife who was a lot more nervous that I was. We got the underground from my local station and apart from a few looks there were no issues throughout the day.
I have a number of proper skirts now but haven't been out in public in any of them. I am not too worried about being seen, for me it's about small steps with my wife who accepts my skirts but is worried about the reactions of people towards me. Small steps but i don't think it will be too long before my local supermarket it treated to a bloke in a skirt :D
Uncle Al

Re: New member

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Looking forward to updates on your adventures :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Welcome Victor,

We are glad to have you join us. :D
Now sit back grab a cuppa and enjoy the fellowship and all around good fun here at the cafe.
:yellow: :shadow: :red: :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Hi Victor, your idea about kilts and skirts is quite close to my attitude. I go out in kilts but my skirting in the open is still limited. I do hikes in the woods and bike trips along quiet tracks (a canal for instance). But I'm building momentum.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Welcome Victor, sounds like you are already off to a good start with family support and not worried being seen. I think your wife will be pleasantly surprised that most people don't notice and the others don't care. A few second glances at most.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, Victor1964, and good going on your skirted adventures so far.

I, like you, started out wearing only untility kilts for occasional forages in public. From there I progressed to wearing utility kilts pretty much all the time, then I gradually expanded to tights, heels, and actual skirts. And all that took about four years.

Your direction will probably unfold differently but take heart that all of us are struggling to find ourselves, and that it's never obvious or easy. But the joy is in the journey.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Victor,

A welcome from the Mainland (England being just the largest of 'our' offshore islands to the East). Richmond to me means serious galley-slavery on that stretch of river you have there. Contending with the Tideway all year, we loved to get up to relatively still water to prepare for the regatta season.

Nice for you that you have the wife & family on board, so your skirt wearing indulgence can progress.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Welcome Victor.

I have been to many parts of London whilst wearing a skirt, although not in recent years. Notable recollections are Greenwich Observatory and the National Maritime Museum, The Waldorf, around Aldwych and The Strand, using the tube, various stations, etc.

It's easier to blend into a crowd at busy times than out when few are around. I suspect Camden would be relatively, although it's somewhere I've not been.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments and the warm welcome.

It's nice to know that i am not the only one and not a freak or weird lol...

In answer to Disaffected.citizen, Camden is a very busy and vibrant part of London. Camden Market is an alternative hotspot where basically anything is accepted so wearing my kilt was not an issue for me. The underground journey was a different issue, the area I live is quite upmarket and people around here can be quite stuck up in their attitude and outlook. but again i had no issues although MOH didn't want me to sit down in case i showed too much leg so we stood all the way :lol:
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Hi Victor,

I live on the other side of London so am still a long-ish tube journey away. Look forward to hearing more from you!

R
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
BorderXing

Post by BorderXing »

Welcome, I just registered a couple of months ago and have discovered a lot of interesting discussions. In my opinion rare is not weird. You are just a member of a very select segment of the population.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome Victor!

Don't worry about the reactions of Londoners. All sorts of people live in London and they go about their business in all sorts of clothes. Nobody will give a monkeys about your choices. I flew down for a training course one summer's day a while ago. Rubbish weather up here as usual so I wore a long skirt for the flight to London City. Forecast said damn hot in London so I had packed a short lightweight skirt, and I changed in the Gents at the airport. A couple of hours at leisure and I decided to go to the Tate Modern because I had never been there. Then over to Barbican for the training course (betrousered for that). IIRC I had time for a stroll down to St Pauls and quick beer afterwards before heading back to the airport. Lots of Tube journeys and walking, but nobody cared what I wore, not even the few who seemed to notice.

So go for it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome! :salut:
Joeh

Post by Joeh »

Hi yes small steps is best , people just don't care what you wear and it's easy
In London .
Joe
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome from the other side of the pond. You are very fortunate that you have the support of your family. My son lives with me and it was great when he accepted my skirt wearing and fantastic when he actually bought me my first kilt.

There is no rush to do anything move along at your own pace. as you gain more confidence you will find that you can go anyplace you want. wearing what you want. Again welcome