new contributor

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
BorderXing

new contributor

Post by BorderXing »

I got a little carried away and started posting without introducing myself so let me correct that. I choose BorderXing for a screen name since that is how I think about my approach to fashion and clothing. I mostly stay on the male culture side of the border but do occasionally go across the border and bring something in from female culture. I have always been fascinated with putting together looks that are clearly a mixture but predominately male. Most of the time I limit myself to no more than two items from across the border. I really like to mix in skirts. With that comes some creative leg wear and some boots and shoes. I'm also a big fan of nail color but I tend not to wear nail color and skirts together. Why? Because I have a very particular image that I am trying to project. It has nothing to do with a sense of what is enough or too much for others. I quit judging others or feeling resentful of the person I am a long time ago. We need more acceptance and less judgement in the world. Most people I know don't even want to talk about my interests let alone offer any understanding or support. People are weird about this...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: new contributor

Post by Grok »

Welcome, BorderXing! :sunny:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome aboard, BorderXing! I'm sure you'll find friendship and support here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Welcome!

You have definitely come to the right place to get an accepting hearing of how you're feeling and what you feel like wearing.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, welcome BorderXing. You will find plenty of people here to talk about wearing skirts and alternative clothing. The only crossing I am aware of is that we have to cross the aisle in a store to buy certain garments. Men can wear what ever they like, unfortunately most are unaware of that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
BorderXing

Post by BorderXing »

Talking and chatting are good grounding things for me. Thanks for the welcomes.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

denimini wrote:Men can wear what ever they like, unfortunately most are unaware of that.
Well put!
denimini wrote:The only crossing I am aware of is that we have to cross the aisle in a store

C'mon now, don't be disingenuous. you know good and darn well he's talking about the gender boundaries most men greet with the same reverence as the Great Wall of China and that we greet with the same irreverence as Monty Python and his Flying Circus.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: C'mon now, don't be disingenuous. you know good and darn well he's talking about the gender boundaries most men greet with the same reverence as the Great Wall of China and that we greet with the same irreverence as Monty Python and his Flying Circus.
If that is the case, I missed it. Sorry BorderX.

Anyway I think border is a better term than boundary which is associated with a line where a border "the edge or boundary of something, or the part near it". I may be accused of being pedantic as well.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:C'mon now, don't be disingenuous. you know good and darn well he's talking about the gender boundaries most men greet with the same reverence as the Great Wall of China and that we greet with the same irreverence as Monty Python and his Flying Circus.
Just a gentle reminder that just because a man decides to put both legs down one pipe does not imply that he's trans-/cross- anything. To keep suggesting that it does only hurts the cause of getting skirted rigs accepted more widely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

^This.

Anyway, to the OP, welcome...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:Just a gentle reminder that just because a man decides to put both legs down one pipe does not imply that he's trans-/cross- anything. To keep suggesting that it does only hurts the cause of getting skirted rigs accepted more widely.
HEAR HEAR! Carl well put!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Indeed, Carl. But PDXFP was merely referring to the boundary that most men see and stay on one side of. The boundary where your clothes have one and a half leg holes!

And welcome, BorderXing!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

For longer than I've wondered how many holes it takes to fill the Royal Albert Hall, I've wondered how it's possible to dig a half a hole...

There's probably some oddball topological oddity I'm not taking into account -- but those have nothing whatsoever to do with gender.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's easy, you just take half a piece of string and stop digging when you've reached that depth.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:It's easy, you just take half a piece of string and stop digging when you've reached that depth.
Ah, but how is the string bisected? Laterally or longitudinally?

And, yup, we've managed to string this thread up... (With apologies to the OP!)