So, I have been away for some time, so thought I would

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: So, I have been away for some time, so thought I would

Post by Caultron »

squeak24 wrote:...Where I work there is no dress code, we can wear whatever we like. Most go the formal route suit and tie on the male side, women tend to be more casual...
Really? Who goes suit and tie when they don't have to?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

Caultron wrote: Really? Who goes suit and tie when they don't have to?
Everywhere I have worked so far it's been the same no dress code, but still get those in suits. I do occasionally but only when I have meetings.
crfriend wrote: That's usually the case, but take your lead from the men and lean towards business-formal, even if it is with a skirted rig.
Yeah, I get that, I will see what I can get. I am due to go shopping with a friend in a couple of weeks, will see what she suggests.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

squeak24 wrote:
Caultron wrote: Really? Who goes suit and tie when they don't have to?
Everywhere I have worked so far it's been the same no dress code, but still get those in suits. I do occasionally but only when I have meetings...
That's amazing. If you don't mind, what kind of work and what location are we talking about?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

Caultron wrote: That's amazing. If you don't mind, what kind of work and what location are we talking about?
I'm an Engineer, I have worked in several places from broadcasters to government departments. At present I am Software Engineering which is a little different. Writing code, so don't really interact with the general public or people outside my team.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

squeak24 wrote:...I'm an Engineer, I have worked in several places from broadcasters to government departments. At present I am Software Engineering which is a little different. Writing code, so don't really interact with the general public or people outside my team.
Wow, I can't imagine any engineer or software developer I know wearing a suit and tie voluntarily. They're usually into t-shirts and either shorts or jeans. But I guess wonders never cease. What's next? Men wearing skirts?

Anyway, with a back-office job like that, your chances of being able to go to work skirted should be pretty good.

caultron
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

Software design, yeah that is a little more relaxed. But with engineering because where I had worked at we deal with contractors and clients a lot hence it wasn't the same as just being stuck out in the back office looking pretty.

I have a meeting scheduled with my LM on Monday with my confidant, so I will see how it goes.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome back. I am an outside accountant I visit my clients on a periodic basis. Recently I had the opportunity to wear skirted outfits to 2 of my clients. I had a great deal of apprehension about what I should wear .I did a very smart thing I posted my situation on the cafe. and with a lot of help from the members I was able to refine what I was going to wear. I am by no means a fashion model but if you look on MY MANY MINIS the later posts from around late December you will get an idea what "WE" went thru and what the end result was.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Caultron, I actually love wearing a made-to-measure traditional suit with a shirt having the correct neck size and a tie. It looks smart and doesn't have the choking effect that an incorrectly sized shirt has. Of course I would also like a skirt in matching material to form a skirt suit. I think that that would look equally smart. In fact there are thoughts rolling around my brain at the moment to the effect of looking for a really good tailor to make just such an ensemble. Hmmmm.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I never understood, either, why so many guys complained about a wearing a shirt and tie. When I asked about it they'd stick their finger inside their collar and say it was too tight.

So buy a larger neck size, huh? Duh.

Now though I think it's been 25 years since I've worn a tie and having one flop around doesn't seem attractive.

I, too, have thought about having a skirt suit made. I'd look for a shop or business somewhere that makes custom suits for both men and women and get measured up. But I don't know why; I never wear a suit anyway.

There"s also the suitcoat-over-a-dress look to consider but again why, if I never wear suits?

caultron
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Caultron wrote:Really? Who goes suit and tie when they don't have to?
I do.

Business casual is the accepted code, but I choose to wear a suit and tie, at least in part, because other people don't and it creates a definite gap between work life and home life (real life?). The ties also allow me to wear some outrageous colours and patterns that I'd never find on a shirt. Sometimes it is fun to be an outlier in the flock of sheeple.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS: welcome back Squeek.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Being a 'Face worker' I wear protective clothing, mask, latex-type gloves &c. so normally I need not wear 'formal' to work, unless the day includes a meeting with somebody who expects me to look formal.
I have several formal suits of the trousered variety, but also a few skirted ones, which are needless to say, strictly leisure activity wear. There is another of these on the way which I expect delivered next week. Pics will follow in the fullness of Time....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

I spoke with my manager with a colleague the other day, he has changed his tune a little. So hopefully, I will be able to do it soon.

I was away on a course for a week, so it wasn't really possible to sort anything out last week. I just need to sort my pain medication out and go for it.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Do let us know if there are any updates!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I used to wear suits all the time a while back . I have a couple of suits that I don't think ever wore. Its impossible to find matching skirts. or even matching material. I had a tailor I used to use. I brought the pants from one of the suits in and asked them if they could make them into a skirt. they said it would never work. I even suggested using the material they would be cutting off for patches. they weren't to keen on the idea

I wonder if there is enough material if i just saved the belt loop part and used all of the material below for the skirt. I am not a seamstress so I could not do it. I have an old pair of pants I think I will cut them up and at least see if it lays out.

I would simply go buy a skirted suit but I cant find separates and one size wouldn't work if the jacket fits the skirt is too big and if the skirt fits the jacket is too small.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

In a perfect world you could buy a men's suit jacket and a woman's suit skirt separately and they'd match. But in our world that seems extremely unlikely.

A sportcoat and skirt outfit, of course, would be much easier to assemble.

caultron