Hello from Wales

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
dracoignis

Hello from Wales

Post by dracoignis »

Hi fellow men in skirts :D
I stumbled across this site by accident while reading an article about men in skirts on the catwalk. I'm 43 and have been married for 10 years and I would say that my venture into the world of skirts started very slowly. About 5 years ago I bought my first utility kilt before going on one of our many trips to India. It made sense to wear something light, practical and airy. I got a few giggles and smiles from the locals but nothing intimidating. Importantly my wife really loved me wearing it and other westerners agreed. The kilt only really ever came out on holiday or if I was in the house. Then early on last year we were out shopping and no matter which store I went into, the men's fashion was boring, drab and so repetitive. Look, another pair of jeans!, so I started thinking of ways to combine some aspects of women's fashion into my everyday wear without it standing out. So I went online and bought a ladies bodysuit from Wolford, chucked on a pair of jeans and immediately I was happier with what I was wearing. Then roll on to a few weeks ago, I thought, why don't I stick my kilt on and to hell with what others think. Now I go to work, go shopping in it and am rarely out of it. Today I'm looking forward to getting another kilt from a company called Skilt in London and a full length Asymmetric skirt. I'm very lucky to have a very open minded wife who agrees that you should be free to wear what you like. Tear down the boundaries in fashion! :D . Really looking forward to being a part of this forum, and so pleased to have found it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Wales

Post by Kirbstone »

Dracoignis,

I'm fascinated at your choice of nom-de-plume. Anything to do with Welsh dragons?

Anyway, Welcome and as one who travels through Wales regularly I'd like to know where you are, roughly. You see, we have near-total control over your weather :wink:

At age 43 and with the wifey on board you're set fair for a long innings wearing kilts &c.
Alas I'm a whole generation ahead of you.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Welcome, fellow celt. It sounds as if you are well on the way to fashion freedom.

I've worn my grey (non tartan) kilt in North Wales - it was very well received.

Look forward to your contributions and thoughts on this wonderful journey we are all on.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the group, dracoignis. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Enjoy skirting!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dracoignis

Post by dracoignis »

Kirbstone wrote:Dracoignis,

I'm fascinated at your choice of nom-de-plume. Anything to do with Welsh dragons?

Anyway, Welcome and as one who travels through Wales regularly I'd like to know where you are, roughly. You see, we have near-total control over your weather :wink:

At age 43 and with the wifey on board you're set fair for a long innings wearing kilts &c.
Alas I'm a whole generation ahead of you.

Tom
Hi Tom

Dracoignis is about my Welsh heritage and Latin schooling, Dragons Fire. Well my wife and I live in a village called St. Dogmaels in North Pembrokeshire. So are you in north or the south of Ireland. If you're in the north you don't mess with our weather to much, but if your coming from the south, you guys need to give us the heads up on the weather as our weather channels just act as if Southern Ireland doesn't exist! Why, the alas I'm a whole generation ahead? I'm loving today as if I'm a part of the New Romantics.

Richard
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Greetings from a Welsh skirt wearer in Suffolk.

Born in North Wales, lived there until 1995. Still miss the old country.

Keep up the good skirt wearing work in Wales.

Martin
dracoignis

Post by dracoignis »

Ray wrote:Welcome, fellow celt. It sounds as if you are well on the way to fashion freedom.

I've worn my grey (non tartan) kilt in North Wales - it was very well received.

Look forward to your contributions and thoughts on this wonderful journey we are all on.
Hi Ray

So now we can say there were 2 people wearing kilts/skirts in Wales today :). I'm a strong believer in freedom and expression, and it's not just about (for me) the ability to wear a skirt or kilt, but about the realisation that the days of cool for men revolving around Levi's and a crisp white t shirt is tired. Men can be handsome and elegant too.

Iechya da

Richard :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dracoignis wrote:Dracoignis is about my Welsh heritage and Latin schooling, Dragons Fire.
Hmmm... I figured that just about everybody would get that. Well done.

Welcome aboard!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dracoignis

Post by dracoignis »

crfriend wrote:
dracoignis wrote:Dracoignis is about my Welsh heritage and Latin schooling, Dragons Fire.
Hmmm... I figured that just about everybody would get that. Well done.

Welcome aboard!
Better change my name then to dreigiau tan quickly then :D now in a minute. Thank you for the welcome. :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Richard

Gotcha! You're really a 'suburb' of Cardigan and I've been up that road from Fishguard through Aberystwyth a few times. You wouldn't want to be in too much of a hurry, mind. I also experienced a period of immersion in pre-motorway Britain when we lived near Leominster in Herefordshire. Looking at your river I won't be trying to get into it in a sailing boat anytime soon! :blue:

Yes, I live in Southern Ireland mainly near Newbridge, Co. Kildare but we do spend quite a lot of time at our retreat in Ballinskelligs, Co. Kerry, just a few miles from the Valentia weather station...BBC Shipping forecast & all that, so my claim that we have first pick at your weather is true. Interesting that the TV weather presenters in the UK stand right in front of Ireland and point across to places like 'Yorkshire' and 'East Anglia' &c. Sometimes they even point up at 'Scotlandandnorthernireland' too. :!: , generally when some storm or other is on its way.

Yes, dividing your nom de plume up into Draco and Ignis tends to let the Latin scholars in and you are right in the middle of my four children in age, so the generation gap is real.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

dracoignis wrote:Hi fellow men in skirts :D
About 5 years ago I bought my first utility kilt before going on one of our many trips to India. ed wife who agrees that you should be free to wear what you like. Tear down the boundaries in fashion! :D
Greetings, Dracoignis. Which company did you buy your utility kilt from? If you haven't done so, you may be interested in checking out the link for Union Kilts.

Unfortunately, I must agree that typical male garb is drab/dull.
dracoignis

Post by dracoignis »

My first one came from The Scotland Kilt Company. They are fine for genereal wear but my favourite kilts come from a company called Skilt, pricey but amazing to wear. Thanks for the link, will check out Union Kilts.