Hi everyone - new member from the UK

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Skirtlad84

Hi everyone - new member from the UK

Post by Skirtlad84 »

Hi everyone,

I’ve looked at this forum many times and thought it was about time that I should sign up myself! I’m in my early 30’s, from Devon in the UK, and I’ve been wearing skirts (at home) for a number of years now as I find them much more comfortable and fun to wear. I generally wear them most evenings when I am able to, and I sometimes get a day or two alone which means I can wear them all day. I’ve not worn a skirt outside of the house as I’m rather keen on keeping this ‘interest’ private, at least in my immediate vicinity. That being said, I would be keen to expand my horizons if I can – perhaps meeting with people local(ish) to me if possible?

I generally wear plain colour, straight skirts which are about knee length – or a little shorter. I don’t like anything excessively short, and while I’ve tried a couple of pencil skirt varieties I do prefer skirts with a little more room to move in... At the moment I have grey, navy blue, dark green and brown varieties and probably have about 30 hidden away safely (touch wood!). Sometimes I feel I may have too many??!

Anyway, looking forward to chatting more, if you have any questions please do ask... As I say, I am willing to meet off-line if anyone is keen, just drop me a line if you are near(ish)

Cheers for now.

Skirtlad84
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi everyone - new member from the UK

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the site skirtlad. If you join in the posts then you'll not really find a better bunch than here. I take it that those immediately around you don't know of your taste, which I surmise from your need to hide your skirts away. In fact, family can be the hardest to persuade to come around to your viewpoint. MOH can be very antagonistic at times and other times more receptive. But she hates me going out of the house in a skirt and refuses to accompany me out when I am wearing one. Have a look in the Pics section and you'll see that there are a wide range of styles sported by us. My style is similar to yours - mainly above knee A-line or circle, but definitely ones in which my stride is not hampered. As to the number, well I have over 3 times the number you have and you can never have too many skirts. If you look in other threads you will find a surprising number of topics and a lot of humour as well.

Anyway enjoy your time here and we do like to hear your stories. You will venture out when you are good and ready and you are young enough to enjoy many years of skirting. We have all been through the first time out. It's hard to do and takes a great deal of courage but once over that you realise that the great unwashed really don't care.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Welcome Skirtlad,
We are a friendly bunch of skirt wearers and we do like to share our experiences and pictures. Please join in on the fun. If you want to try wearing outside of the house, go for a drive at night and just enjoy the ride. As you progress try stopping at a convenience store and get a cup of coffee to go. You will find it to be a big non event. Keep doing this until you are doing it in the daytime and once you are accustomed just wear to your hearts desire.

Happy Skirting!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Skirtlad,

Welcome to the Skirtcafe!

I agree with Sinned and Fred with one slight quibble; none of us were really ready for that first step outside so when you think you might be ready, just do it! You'll be pleasantly surprised to find out how many people are supportive and how many more simply do not care.

One of the best things I ever did for myself was to take my pastor's advice to "Just do it!" (come to church in a dress). She had to say it 3 times before I embraced it. Because she was new to the congregation it turned out she wasn't sure how it would go. As it turned better than I could have ever imagined! Read my posts for the full story, I've written about that experience in a number of posts.

Get comfortable with yourself being in a skirt before you go outside because this is really one of those things where you get what give. If you project discomfort with yourself that's what you'll get back. If you can project self-acceptance and confidence -- even if you're faking it -- you'll get acceptance back.

Good luck and have fun!

Yours,
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Hi Skirtlad, and welcome to this forum. I agree with much of what the previous posters have said. Fred in Skirts makes a good point about trying a stop at a convenience store, something I've done many times now, and as he says its non event. Carry on enjoying wearing your skirts.

John
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

johnb wrote:Hi Skirtlad, and welcome to this forum. I agree with much of what the previous posters have said. Fred in Skirts makes a good point about trying a stop at a convenience store, something I've done many times now, and as he says its non event. Carry on enjoying wearing your skirts.
For sure, one advantage of a convenience store or gas station is that you can always make a quick getaway. If the store is some distance from home, so much the better, as no one you know will be there.

I'm sure there'll be no actual need for a getaway, but it's one more factor to help you get your nerve up.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi skirtlad and welcome to the site from the other side of Hadrain's wall!

I endorse the comments above with regard to going out for the first time in that once you do it, you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

My first time was going to a Motorway service station (same as Caultron) - one that I wouldn't normally go into, to get petrol. I had on a stretch denim miniskirt (my peference) at the time so it was rather shorter than your collection and despite heart racing, cleared that hurdle quite unscathed - indeed there was nothing more that I saw than a double-take from one lady leaving just as I was entering! :shock: I even deliberatey stopped at another one to get a coffee on the way back (still miniskirted) at the same station but on the opposite side to the earlier petrol visit. That too went without the slightest hitch.

Hope you manage to get outside sometime - and look forward to hearing the "nothing happened" comments!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels