hello from essex

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
essexsparks

hello from essex

Post by essexsparks »

Good morning. I have been a member for a short while but not posted till now as I wanted to build a little confidence.
Anyway, I have almost done the full dress up thing and although I like it, it is more for special occasions. I felt that all I really wanted to do was wear a skirt and be 'me'. So i've been building confidence doing that and it is rather nice.
Other than that I have been out a few times in a skirt and had quite a few glances. Either people are more nosy where i've been or i'm very observant when I want to be.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: hello from essex

Post by Sinned »

essexsparks, Welcome to the forum. You will be rather sensitive to people looking at you for a while. After all it's all new to you and your confidence will be low until you build it up with some experience. After a while your self-consciousness will go and you will stop even looking. Read some of Moon's and others posts on this. You are doing well to get out of the house in a skirt, some don't even manage that. Give it time and all will fall into place. An air of uncertainty or embarrassment will communicate more fully than any skirt you are wearing so don't force it - if you don't feel confident or right going out in a skirt then don't and wear shorts or trousers.

Please tell us a little about yourself and from my point of view whether YOH is accepting of your new attire. Mine is only selectively tolerant, but that's a long story.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hi, essexsparks, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Sinned that the many glances and nosiness you're sensing probably stem from your own uncertainty rather than any sort of public rejection. Yes, you're dressed differently than most, and some percentage of those around you are going to notice. The most common reactions are surprise and curiosity. But people look each other for lots of other reasons as well. And if they don't like what you're wearing, it's their problem, not yours. And for every person who disapproves, several others will like it and often tell you so.

And I also agree you're doing quite well just to get out in a skirt. Trepidation about that first time can be a major barrier.

So again, welcome. Keep on skirting and do let us know how it's going!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
essexsparks

Post by essexsparks »

well, I told moh when we were starting to date that I liked wearing womens clothes. she got use to it and likes that but wants to keep it just for us. I feel that I can as a man wear a skirt when I want to. I don't need to try and look like a woman to wear a skirt so why try. so I've been out a few times in a skirt. I went to a trade supplier and an Asda on the way to a job and I wore a denim mini, black tights, and ladies ankle boots ('cos they don't make my feet look massive), few looks but felt confident. I also walked around Sainsburys, and pcworld in harlow whilst wearing a black pencil skirt, shirt tie, and the ankle boots again, it was very hot but only really got one staring look. it was fun but I currently will only dress when I am some distance from home.
as for confidence, I have walked around lakeside twice while 'dressed', I looked bloody awful and questioned after the second time if I really enjoyed what I was doing, which is why I feel just wearing a skirt is comfortable, trying to be something I am not is tedious.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome to the forum, Sparks. Electrician or radio-man?
essexsparks wrote:well, I told moh when we were starting to date that I liked wearing womens clothes. she got use to it and likes that but wants to keep it just for us. I feel that I can as a man wear a skirt when I want to.
Well, that's the purpose of the forum here -- to assist guys who would like to wear skits/kilts and not feel the need to masquerade as women. There is much useful advice, but by far and away the biggest pieces are that it's not illegal, for the most part nobody is going to really care, and if somebody does care it's their problem and not yours.
[...] ladies ankle boots ('cos they don't make my feet look massive) [...]
That's a common theme here, and it's mostly down to the fact that guys tend to have bigger feet than the gals, and men's shoes tend to magnify the difference.

Read and enjoy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
essexsparks

Post by essexsparks »

thank you. seems like a good place.
I do have size 13 feet in general wear. mainly due to the width. I get my nice shoes from Evans. recently I got a nice denim skirt from BHS, shame they are closing