Greetings from the End of the Earth

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings from the End of the Earth

Post by moonshadow »

... and sitting on a cold metal chair with a short skirt on! :shock:

But by all means... twirl your skirts in front of wandering eyes! Let them see you have fun!
Hell I flat-footed to a Bill Monroe song on the side of the road once in one of my long boho skirts. People were hollaring, flashing their lights, cheering, etc :lol: 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pelmut wrote:
Orange Apple wrote:And we won't even discuss standing in the bathroom for the first time and thinking, "Now what?"
Sit. It is so much easier in a skirt (and much nicer if you are the one who has to do the cleaning).
I lift the front hem but to each his own.

Using a urinal in a public washroom can be interesting. I'm sure you'll occasionally get some inquisitive looks, like, "How's he gonna do that?" But if the skirt isn't roomy enough, raising the front may raise the back enough that you have to use a stall.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

I am well over my personal daily limit on submitting articles, but . . .

I am happy to report that I am now a member of the exalted group of men who have worn a skirt in public. Just barely, but I've technically crossed the barrier by going to pick up a pizza. And there was no lightning, hell did not freeze over, and the pizza tasted great. I had my usual banter with the manager (this is not an unusual outing) and I don't know if I got stares or comments from the customers, or care.

Maybe I'll even go to the local thrift store and look for additions to my skirt collection. This is the only time I'll be able to double it by buying just one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Congratulations. It gets easier from here on out.

If you already have a concept of what sort of style you want to project, slowly work towards it; if you don't have one yet, see if you can develop one, else you'll wind up with a lot of skirts and a boatload of confusion every time you try to figure out what to wear.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Orange Apple wrote:I am well over my personal daily limit on submitting articles, but . . .
I am happy to report that I am now a member of the exalted group of men who have worn a skirt in public. Just barely, but I've technically crossed the barrier by going to pick up a pizza. And there was no lightning, hell did not freeze over, and the pizza tasted great. I had my usual banter with the manager (this is not an unusual outing) and I don't know if I got stares or comments from the customers, or care.
Maybe I'll even go to the local thrift store and look for additions to my skirt collection. This is the only time I'll be able to double it by buying just one.
Wow OA I think you are now past the starting point and well on your way to the finish line. It won't be long before you are shopping and going to restaurants etc in your skirts.

I am so glad you have done this so now you see that what we were saying just wasn't hot air up your skit!! :lol:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Orange Apple wrote:I am well over my personal daily limit on submitting articles, but . . .

Congratulations! And it's true, from this point it only gets easier.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Orange Apple wrote:I am happy to report that I am now a member of the exalted group of men who have worn a skirt in public.
Well done. As already said it only gets easier from here. Before long you will have another question to resolve - what was my conern before. You will be skirted in many public situations before long.

Keep it up and remember be you and enjoy being you. Ignore the doubters, they will always be there in all aspects of life regarding others but never themselves.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Just as Caultron said, Congratulations and enjoy the exhilaration of your downhill ride.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Status

Post by Orange Apple »

I have increased the size of my skirt collection from one to four, and I have one on order. I am going to stop buying now, other than keeping my eyes open at consignment stores.

My first venture to buy skirts was a complete failure. I visited a consignment shop uptown and the local Salvation Army thrift store. They had a tiny selection and what they had was dead ugly.

This morning I went to the local shopping mall. The first store I checked had nothing. As I was walking towards the department store in the mall, I noticed a rack of clothes in front of a store, which turned out to be a consignment store that I didn't know was there. On the rack was a jean skirt in my size. $4.50. Now that I can live with!

Then I continued my trek to the department store and decided to stop in a women's clothing shop. Damned if they didn't have a nice selection of skirts, several in my size. I bought one. Long, very comfortable.

And my wife donated me a wrap skirt that she bought in Thailand, truly beautiful silk, ankle length. That one I will save for a special occasion.

The one on order is from Skirtcraft. I like the one I have, so I ordered one in the other color. Joe got me into this, so the least I can do is give him some business.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Orange Apple wrote: I am going to stop buying now
-That's what you think! :lol: I said the same thing 25 skirts ago! :)
Wait until you find your first "honey hole" (favorite skirt shop), you'll be in there whenever you have a little money extra.
My "honey holes" are Misty Mountain Designs, and the GoodWill in Abingdon VA, there is a woman who works there who is very friendly and has won my business. Although there are GoodWill's everywhere, that one is my favorite just because she works there. The lady at the Bristol TN location was very pleasant as well. I generally skirt shop while wearing my skirts and make no secret about the fact "they're for me".... :wink:

Do yourself a favor now and cut up the credit cards! :D
Orange Apple wrote:And my wife donated me a wrap skirt that she bought in Thailand, truly beautiful silk, ankle length. That one I will save for a special occasion.
That is totally cool that you have your wife's support right off the bat! Sounds like a pretty cool lady! 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Status

Post by Judah14 »

Orange Apple wrote: And my wife donated me a wrap skirt that she bought in Thailand, truly beautiful silk, ankle length. That one I will save for a special occasion.
Great! I like to wear something similar, though Filipino and simpler in design, and a tube rather than a wrap:
らき☆
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote:
Orange Apple wrote: I am going to stop buying now
-That's what you think! :lol: I said the same thing 25 skirts ago! :)
Wait until you find your first "honey hole" (favorite skirt shop), you'll be in there whenever you have a little money extra.
My "honey holes" are Misty Mountain Designs, and the GoodWill in Abingdon VA, there is a woman who works there who is very friendly and has won my business. Although there are GoodWill's everywhere, that one is my favorite just because she works there. The lady at the Bristol TN location was very pleasant as well. I generally skirt shop while wearing my skirts and make no secret about the fact "they're for me".... :wink:
I was very upfront with the clerk at the women's clothing store that these were for me. I was not wearing a skirt when doing this shopping, as it was very quick trip and skirt shopping was just kind of a detour - I did not expect to find anything. In the future I will skirt shop while wearing a skirt. But the clerk's question was kind of classic: "What do you wear on top?" I wonder if she was trying to mentally sort me into categories, and my answer to that question would have helped her pick the right stereotype. She was actually very helpful, I just don't think she quite knew what to make of a man wearing pants who was shopping for a skirt for himself. Not surprising; I live in a small town.
moonshadow wrote:Do yourself a favor now and cut up the credit cards! :D
At $4.50 each, I'm not concerned about running up the credit card balance. Even the new one wasn't that expensive. But there is this issue of space in my closet . . .
moonshadow wrote:
Orange Apple wrote:And my wife donated me a wrap skirt that she bought in Thailand, truly beautiful silk, ankle length. That one I will save for a special occasion.
That is totally cool that you have your wife's support right off the bat! Sounds like a pretty cool lady! 8)
She is, indeed. I am very lucky.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Re: Status

Post by Orange Apple »

Judah14 wrote:
Orange Apple wrote: And my wife donated me a wrap skirt that she bought in Thailand, truly beautiful silk, ankle length. That one I will save for a special occasion.
Great! I like to wear something similar, though Filipino and simpler in design, and a tube rather than a wrap:
Very nice. The shape of the one I have is very similar, but the design is geometric.

I think that one of the things that continues to amaze me about skirts is the selection of fabric. Men's trousers, well, it's kind of would you like cotton or wool. Not only do skirts feel completely different, but there is this huge variety of HOW they feel. Of course the same thing can be said about men's clothing choices in general, compared to women's spectrum of choices, in terms of styles, fabric, colors, prints, and even things like shoes and accessories. I feel this pull towards the dark side.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Orange Apple wrote:But the clerk's question was kind of classic: "What do you wear on top?"
A good, and reasonable question... I didn't start purchasing tops for my skirts until after 2016. I have to say, the right top makes all the difference in the whole ensemble. Plus it's a lot of fun putting together a complete look. But if you want to stick with "men's" tops, might I suggest some of Carl's "rigs". He does it quite well.
-Andrea
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote:
Orange Apple wrote:But the clerk's question was kind of classic: "What do you wear on top?"
A good, and reasonable question... I didn't start purchasing tops for my skirts until after 2016. I have to say, the right top makes all the difference in the whole ensemble. Plus it's a lot of fun putting together a complete look. But if you want to stick with "men's" tops, might I suggest some of Carl's "rigs". He does it quite well.
I have no compunction about wearing tops from the women's side of the store. In fact, I have decided that next week I am going to don the skirt that I just bought, along with the best matching top I could find in my closet, and return to the store where I bought it, and ask them to suggest a matching top. Since it's a store that only sells women's clothing, it will by definition be a "blouse" until I wear it, at which point it becomes a "shirt".

I may also take along the top that I bought recently and ask them if they have a skirt that would go with it.