New here!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
RavenTao

Re: New here!

Post by RavenTao »

Caultron wrote:
RavenTao wrote:Greetings to all. I am new here. I started out wearing a kilt, out of curiosity, and found I liked it, esspecially in warm weather. But I also found kilts to be heavey, too much material goes into making one. So one day I took a pair of denim jeans, made a straight cut just above the crotch, then washed it. Let me tell you, I loved it. Where as the kilt felt heavy and scratchy on my legs, the denim mini skirt felt wonderful. It was soft and light, and even felt sensuous when I walked. I wore it over to my girlfriend's house. Her friend was there. They had a good laugh, but her friend said I looked good in it. Maybe because of my long hair. I have no desire, though, to wear skirts in public. I don't think I can handle the feeling of self-consciousness. So I only wear my skirts at home, when I'm relaxing. Oh, and I also found the denim miniskirts to be much more comfortable, when I work out.
On a silly/fun note, when I saw the person's name here "franinskirts", I thought it said "frankenskirts". Lol!
So, if you could go out in public wearing a skirt and be fully accepted (not looked-down-upon) would you?
Maybe, once in awhile. But I don't hate my jeans either.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

RavenTao wrote:
Caultron wrote:So, if you could go out in public wearing a skirt and be fully accepted (not looked-down-upon) would you?
Maybe, once in awhile. But I don't hate my jeans either.
For most of us here, the first time going out in public wearing a skirt has been a gigantic hurdle. Basically, it all comes down to fear of looking foolish and/or being rejected.

In fact, though, quite a few people wont even notice. They're going about their own business and not checking what everyone around them is wearing. And among those who do notice, most won't care. And among those who do care, some will actually like it and may even give you a compliment. That leaves about one out of every 500 or so people who'll throw you a frown. And so what? The same number of people might disapprove of any non-skirted outfit you wear. And no matter what you do, you can't please all the people all the time.

Some guys start out with a gas station or convenience store. You pull up, get out. spend 3-5 minutes conducting your business, see a handful of other people in the process, and then speed away. I promise you won't encounter any fashion police, black helicopters, street gangs, or circles of people pointing and laughing. If you choose a location far enough from home, your chances of being seen by anyone you know will be near zero.

After that, the next time will be easier. And easier. And easier...

But whatever situation makes you most comfortable and confident is best. Just remember:
  • You're old enough to pick out your own clothes.
  • Most people don't care what you wear.
  • It's only a piece of cloth.
But of course if you want to stick with your jeans and only wear skirts around the house, that's your prerogative.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Caultron wrote:But whatever situation makes you most comfortable and confident is best. Just remember:
  • You're old enough to pick out your own clothes.
  • Most people don't care what you wear.
  • It's only a piece of cloth.

But of course if you want to stick with your jeans and only wear skirts around the house, that's your prerogative.

And to add to Caultrons list you will lose out on the fun and enjoyment of doing your own thing.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

I love wearing my skirts, but agree that the lack of pockets is a pain. However, I think it is a small price to pay given how comfortable skirts are!

To overcome the lack of pockets, I use a crossbody bag and pretty much nobody gives it a second glance.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

TopCat wrote:...To overcome the lack of pockets, I use a crossbody bag and pretty much nobody gives it a second glance.
I've found the same.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron