New to this site

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

New to this site

Post by Bikerkilt »

Hi all will lets get to it my name is Jim, I have been riding motorcycles most of my adult life, I'm 66 as of January and don't know how this is going to turn out. I am retired and have small farm on 18 area about two mile of the main highway out in the county and do a little contract welding round the area. ( Did I say that was retired) I always wanted just to try a skirt to see how it felt. About 2 years ago I got a knee length and wore it in the shop beside the house but not outside. I took it backpacking and wore it some on the hike really enjoy it. I have a wearing a skirt more and more now around the shop and outside to work on the land and equipment around the place, so much so people passing by have see me in a skirt. I know that one neighbor that lives close stop by while I was shovling gravel of the trailer onto the driveway, we chated about this and that but not why I had a skirt on then he went on his way.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New to this site

Post by Gordon »

Welcome to the cafe Jim. You'll find wearing skirts so pleasant that you'll want to wear them everywhere. I do, except at work. Where abouts do you live?
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I live in Missouri, USA and yes I do find a skirt very very comfortable that I do wear around the homestead all the time
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the board, Bikerkilt, and welcome to skirt-wearing.

Your neighbor's reaction (or lack thereof) is typical.

One surprising fact that we've discovered here is that wearing a skirt is a much, much smaller deal than you probably think. You can walk through a mall or other public pace and remarkably, most people are simply attending to their own business and don't even notice. 98% of those who do notice will just think, "Mmpf but oh well," and go on their way. 1% (mostly women) will compliment you as in, "Nice skirt," or "I like your skirt." A tiny fraction will throw you a momentary scowl but so what, you have the right to assert yourself as you please. And I suppose some people scowl at motorcycle jackets too.

So, no fashion police, no black helicopters, no circles of people pointing and laughing, but at least a few people admiring your guts.

When you're ready, give it a try. Probably because of the low exposure and quick getaway if necessary, gas stations and convenience stores seem to be a popular first venue. Driving far enough away that no one will recognize you may also help. Jut keep up your courage, relax, and be friendly to everyone you meet. If someone notices you, look them right back, throw them a smile, and with them a nice day. Never skulk, cringe, or look away, because people will react far more negatively to that than to the skirt itself.

I'd be cautious wearing a skirt on a motorcycle but there's probably a way.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I'll second the no reaction thing, some don't see, some won't comment, more than a few are perfectly OK with it, indeed a lot of women approve wholeheartedly. Locations and local attitudes vary of course, but most members on here have found that there is little reaction at all. If your loved ones are OK with it, and there are no work related issues, you've got most aspects covered.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Jim,
I too confirm the comments above that most of the bother is in your head - and not from people you see in daily life.

Most of the folk appear not to notice at all - certainly if they do, they make little or no comment but may have a second look. Comments that are made are few and far betwen and always (to me at least) complimentary. (more smiles and thumbs up particularly from women are common)

Just recently I have started wearing a skirt to work (mainly office based) to virtually no recation at all.

Do you have a partner and do they have any comments?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I went on my hike with a nephew to the Red River Gorge for 4 day and wore a kilt for 3 of the days, rain on the forth day had me in hiking panes. A ranger at the park asked if I had a kilt on, I said yes then he said that he played the bagpipes but did not have a kilt. We hade a great time.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bikerkilt wrote:I went on my hike with a nephew to the Red River Gorge for 4 day and wore a kilt for 3 of the days, rain on the forth day had me in hiking panes. A ranger at the park asked if I had a kilt on, I said yes then he said that he played the bagpipes but did not have a kilt. We hade a great time.
Bagpipes but no kilt? Really?

I hope you told him to get one...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron