Greetings from Singapore

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
simonr

Greetings from Singapore

Post by simonr »

Hi,

I stumbled upon this forum while looking for like-minded people on the web and I'm glad that I did. While my reason for enjoying skirts/dresses may be a little peculier, I do share the view that men should be allowed to wear whatever (respectable) clothes we want and not be judged as transsexual, homosexual and whatever...

My desire to wear skirts and dresses comes mainly from my fascination with long skirts and dresses made of satin. I love the way these dresses drapes to the ground and enjoy the smooth touch of the fabric itself. I know that there may be some deep-lying psychological issues here (some form of fetish?), but since my little kink is not hurting anybody, I don't see why it should be a problem.

I started wearing satin dresses at home about a decade ago, when I moved to Singapore alone for my studies. However, until recently I have never told anyone about it, nor have I given it much thought. It was just a hobby that I enjoyed alone. This situation changed a couple of years ago, when I met my girlfriend. Fearing that she would reject me for my because of my dress wearing, I got rid of all my dresses and tried to forget about it. Unfortunately my fascination with satin dresses never seems to go away. Whenever I see one in TV or in the street I would stare at it. So a few months ago, I mustered the courage and told my girlfriend my little secret. To my pleasant surprise, she is very supportive once she has gotten over the initial shock. She even offers to go dress shopping with me, so that I can feel less awkward. I feel so blessed :D

Her support encourages me to embrace this part of my life more fully. I now plan to tell my family about it, but it will certainly be tougher to convince my parents. Some day I may get enough courage to go out in public in a skirt/dress, though I doubt a satin outfit would be suitable for a first outing.

Cheers,
Simon
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings from Singapore

Post by Kilted_John »

Welcome.

Keep at it. Eventually, you'll be able to go publicly without too much in the way of issues.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome to the Café, simonr.

We have the whole range of skirtmen here, from kilties up, the uniting feature being that we all present as men. So you should fit in just fine in your long satin skirts! I'm a fan of long skirts, but none of mine are satin.

You're not the only one who has thrown all of his skirts away and found that it didn't stop the desire to wear them. It can be a deep-seated desire which is hard to explain. I for one had wanted to wear skirts for most of my life. It's the sort of thing that is a problem only if people define it to be a problem. All we need to do is change people's perceptions.

So join us by stepping outside in a skirt and challenging people's assumptions about what men can wear!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
simonr

Post by simonr »

John, I looked through your photos on the Lookbook site and I must say you wear your skirts really well :thumleft:

Some skirted men wear outfits that are either too small or obviously designed for the female body (deep V-shaped neckline, breast-pads etc.). When these people then post their photos online, it only enforces the prejudice that men with skirts are weird.

If we wish to push for the acceptance of men skirts, we need more people like you, who confidently show to the world that men can put on a skirt and still look masculine.