First outing in public

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtjohn

First outing in public

Post by skirtjohn »

I’ve been watching the messages posted here, wondering how to make the break and go out in public. Suddenly everything has fallen into place.

Last weekend our (naturist) club had a Burn’s Night Supper, celebrating Scotland’s national bard. Our Scots member wore his kilt and some of our English members also wore kilts. I was expecting a cool reaction from my wife, similar to that when I broach the subject of denim skirts from the local charity shops (thrift stores?) which is probably the cheapest option for getting skirts.

But no, my wife enjoyed the evening. She seemed to like the idea of me wearing a kilt, but not wearing a skirt that had probably come from the women’s clothing aisle. On Monday we went to our local Lidl discount store to see if they still had any kilts in stock. My luck held, I got a kilt, and was that a friendly smile from the girl on the checkout?

This morning my wife seemed to suggest that we could go over to the club as she had some papers to deliver. I thought that I might be able to give my kilt an airing. Later she said that she wanted to hire a carpet shampooer and clean some of our carpets. I saw my opportunity slipping away. My wife then suggested that I could wear my kilt when I went with her to return the machine. I backed out of going into the hire shop, but no one seemed to notice when I got out of the car to help get the machine out. When my wife came back to the car she said that she would like to stop off at a restaurant for lunch on our way over to the club. I couldn’t back out now.

The barmaid at the restaurant seemed slightly uneasy when she saw my kilt, but made no comment. Three men came in for drinks, but ignored us and went into another bar. After a pleasant meal we left, still without any reaction. On the way home we stopped to get more petrol. As usual I filled the car and my wife went to the kiosk to pay.

As the first outing in a kilt, it was very successful and I look forward to repeating it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: First outing in public

Post by crfriend »

skirtjohn wrote:The barmaid at the restaurant seemed slightly uneasy when she saw my kilt, but made no comment.
If one has worn nothing but trousers since one got out of nappies then there's going to be considerable unease with an "unbirfucated" (and I detest that term) garment. That likely showed.

My advice to first-time kilt or skirt wearers is to privately get used to the garment, and how it moves and behaves, before venturing out into public so attired. In waiting to make a public appearance, and practicing with the rig beforehand, you will gain the confidence needed to set yourself apart from the rest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations and keep going! It only gets easier from here!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Way to go. It gets easier the more you do it. Keep up the good work.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome skrtjhn, I didn't have a kilt so my early forays out were in a denim skirt and I was really nervous and self-conscious, almost apologetic, at the time. But with the encouragement of those on this forum it has got easier with time. I now feel completely natural venturing out in a skirt although MOH doesn't like it. She has been told that I intend to wear a skirt on odd days and trousers on even days and she seems to be more accepting of that but she hasn't yet faced the fact that I will be going out skirted on those days and I expect her to accompany me if necessary. I feel that the more difficult tests are yet to come. I hope that you have an easier time of it. Take tings one baby step at a time and don't worry if you reach plateaus where you don't seem to make progress - it'll all come right in the end.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

My first outing in a skirt was very scary, but when I made my first kilt and my wife said that she liked it and had no problem being seen out with me I wear one of my kilts as much as I can, although the other day she did complain, she likes to see me in shorts sometimes. It makes a major difference when you have the support of your other half :D
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Enjoy you kilt. My first time in public was in a mid thigh denim skirt an now I wear all types of skirts.
:D Have fun and enjoy skirting.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello Skirtjohn

Good to read your post and pleased your public outing was successful. Also pleased to hear your wife is OK with you being in a kilt in public.

I don't wear kilts but what society still labels as womens skirts. All our friends were fine from the start. My wife is also supportive. Just as many members of the public that I have never met before will engage in conversation as they do when I'm in trousers. Society is fickle with it's likes/dislikes and who to talk to on varying issues/subjects.

The vast majority from my experience, and it is the vast majority carry on with life and say nothing although many of these would always keep a distance but again humans do that to others with other issues. Only a handful, and it is in my experience, that will make obvious negative overtones and most of this group are women embracing their freedom of choice/expression.

Keep up the good work and all the best.

Jeremy Hutchinson
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Welcome Skirtjohn, :welcome: I wear skirts and do not own a kilt. I wear skirts all of the time and everywhere. I remember the first time I wore a skirt in public I thought the world was going to open up and swallow me whole. :lol: It did not happen and It seemed no one even noticed or if they did they said nothing about the skirt. :laff:

Feel free to join in anywhere you please and please tell us more about your self.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Karl

Post by Karl »

JohnA wrote:Enjoy you kilt. My first time in public was in a mid thigh denim skirt an now I wear all types of skirts.
:D Have fun and enjoy skirting.
dont have a thigh skirt, mine are minis or to the knee
my long skirt is black pvc pencil so would it be best to buy a longer skirt and was you seen by anyone, also how do you react or what to do when people are walking towards you
i'm new to this but feel very excited
Karl

Post by Karl »

Franinskirts wrote:Welcome Skirtjohn, :welcome: I wear skirts and do not own a kilt. I wear skirts all of the time and everywhere. I remember the first time I wore a skirt in public I thought the world was going to open up and swallow me whole. :lol: It did not happen and It seemed no one even noticed or if they did they said nothing about the skirt. :laff:

Feel free to join in anywhere you please and please tell us more about your self.

god i wish i had your confidence
is it as well acceptable in the uk as the us
looking for advice and encouragement here
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Karl wrote: god i wish i had your confidence
is it as well acceptable in the uk as the us
looking for advice and encouragement here

Welcome to the Skirt Cafe Karl. Where are you from? I am from South Carolina (see my Location). I live in the bible belt of the South and in a small town to boot. I have had no problems when out in my skirts. People just don't want to get involved or are not paying attention to what you are wearing. I no longer wear pants or shorts for the most part I will wear them if the situation needs it such as working with chainsaws etc. But for shopping going to hospital, doctors all are skirted.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Karl

Post by Karl »

i am from the uk living in the midlands
i have posted an introduction and hope it gets approved soon, that will give this site an insight about me
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Karl, confidence is generated from within and tempered by experience. Whereabouts in the UK are you based. I'm sure that the male skirt is no more accepted in the US than in the UK. I can only say that my forays out in a skirt seem to be accepted where I live and I draw no more attention in a skirt than in trousers. Try your first venture away from home in an anonymous place such as a shopping centre where there are lots of people. That may sound strange but the fact that lots of people ignore you is strangely comforting and raises the confidence level. But you will only find this out by doing it. Read past posts and you will find the emotions that we went through in our early outings and good luck in your ventures out.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Went out in my denim mini yesterday but disappointed not to be seen as this would have been good for my confidence