Greetings to my fellow pioneers!`

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Kingussie

Greetings to my fellow pioneers!`

Post by Kingussie »

I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I live in Virginia, USA and have been wearing kilts for over thirty years and have a number of them in my wardrobe. This number is mainly the result of (a) An ongoing battle with my waste-line - pun intended - for the same amount of time and (b) some people in the Scottish family associations over here give you grief for showing up in the wrong colours and so I bought one for each in order to put them out of my misery.

When my job was shipped off to India six years ago, I was pretty depressed for a while and everything remained on the hanger for over two years. I began to feel better about things when I finally landed a job and my wife remarked that it was good to see me in a kilt again. It was about that time that I had the brilliant (?) idea to pair tights with my kilts. The compression created by the tights helped relieve or reduce pain I was having with the sciatic nerves in both of my legs. It also made changing from kilt to trousers to kilt much easier when I needed to do something - like root around in the attic - for which a kilt was impractical. The tights are for casual around the house/around town sorts of things in the colder months. If I attend a Scottish-American event, or visit highland games somewhere, I go in full regulation rig.

My current job has me living away from home in my late mother's house 5 nights a week and after reading the interview with Joel Edgerton, I decided to give skirts a try and thanks to the good offices of LL Bean, I now have about 7 or 8 to call my own. I refer to them as either pleat-less kilts or one-legged trousers.

I'm not sure how the wife is going to take to this latest development. (I love them, BTW, and they allow me to give my kilts a rest) I broached the subject a couple of years ago and her only reply was that I ought to reserve them for around the house/yard which is what I'd planned to do, anyway. My collection resembles my taste in trousers - khakis & jeans - for the most part and I save the colour co-ordination for tights and shirts.

I've rattled on for long enough this evening. It's a pleasure to be amongst such esteemed gentlemen.

Kingussie
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings to my fellow pioneers!`

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the forum, Kngss, I have only been wearing skirts for about 3 years now and MOH doesn't like me wearing them, particularly out of the house but I do. I have loads of skirts and all I ask is that I am able to wear a skirt when and where I want and not even all the time. Your story was interesting and I wish you well with YOH and that things will work out for you. I know the pain fo living away from home due to work as I did that for 4 years. I also know the depression of unemployment as I was recently unemployed for about 18 months. I now work in retail and thoroughly enjoy the role and am flourishing in it. Anyway please contribute to the various discussions as alternative views are always welcome and solutions to common problems vitally so.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Kingussie!

Why that choice of name? Is that where your forebears came from?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, Kingussie!

Why that choice of name? Is that where your forebears came from?
Perphaps though probably not. Kingussie is one of my favourite places on earth. Whenever I'm over your way - even if I'm just passing through - I try to find some reason or other to head up that way, even if it's just for a day or two.. :D
Kingussie
--------------
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

IMG_0422x.jpg
Not long after taking this selfie and having my nightly conversation with my wife, I decided that nothing in the fridge appealed to me and went out for Chinese. It was cold and damp outside yesterday evening and if I'd had my greatcoat down here, I would have probably worn what I had on. Instead, I swapped my LL Bean Southport Cargo skirt for a kilt which necessitated changing shirts. I did leave the tights & half-slip as they were. I had a pretty good meal and did not freeze my nether regions in the process. I'm so used to being out in a kilt that I don't think twice about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kingussie
--------------
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Welcome to the forum Kingussie. Variety is the spice of life as they say, and not just in clothing. Trousers, Kilts, skirts, tights go for it.

Good to hear your wife is supportive. It may help the wives & partners of others on this forum who are not supportive to know. My wife is fully supportive of me. She concurs with the basic sentiment, women in trousers are still women, men in skirts are still men, clothes don't define the person, the person does.

All the best, and keep up the direct promotion that men can wear skirts.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

How did I miss this intro?

Welcome to the board! Good to see another Virginian here. What part of the Old Dominion do you call home?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote:How did I miss this intro?
Probably because Im in the wrong damned year! 2016? How long has this been going on?

:lol: :oops:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: with my day, Moon, what ever you've been drinking, pass it around :D
:rofl:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I also missed that you were in VA; I am in southeastern NC. So we have two Virginians now, two of the Old North State, and a SC Sandlapper, LOL. The south shall rise again, but smoothing our skirts as we do!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:I also missed that you were in VA; I am in southeastern NC. So we have two Virginians now, two of the Old North State, and a SC Sandlapper, LOL. The south shall rise again, but smoothing our skirts as we do!
Looking through a few of his other post in search (which is how I stumbled into this intro) I get the feeling he lives on the eastern side of the state. By the way interstates run in VA, I can probably reach you (Dillon) in less time that to reach the Virginia coast. In the southern part of VA, there is no good 4 lane interstate, expressway, or highway that traverses the state. I can be on I40 in just a couple of hours, and from there it's a fast track clear across North Carolina.
Uncle Al wrote:what ever you've been drinking, pass it around :D
I wish I had such an excuse for my absentmindedness. :P
-Andrea
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I'm not sure how you guys missed him either but I'm also in VA in the Hampton Roads area. Moon I know is over in the Bristol area on the other end of the state. I am familiar with the area somewhat and the town names he keeps using are familiar to me. My fathers side of the family is from that part of the state as well so I've spent some time down there. From where I am its about an 8 hour drive to get to Bristol no matter which way you go.