Hi from Outback Australia

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi from Outback Australia

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Welcome denimini.

Sorry to read about the loss of your partner. Having someone in your life who shares your feelings, emotions and ethos makes it much easier when you have to confront a wave of narrow minded and at times selfish people who expect for themselves but not for others.

When I first started going out in public in skirts I too started out of the area but when I did go public locally it was no different. Yes some are negative and some will not speak to you but that happens everywhere and for many, many other reasons. As always it is just down to narrow minded human "intelligence". I go everywhere in skirts and clothing that society insists on labeling womens wear, except for work and fell walking due to practical reasons. I believe in freedom of expression and choice for all not one specific gender and if the male wardrobe is open to women then I too open theirs.

I wish you all the best. Stand tall and be you. That's what others do for themselves. I find so long as you do not try to convert others, and that you do not try to emulate being a woman and just be you and get on with life, 99.9% go with the flow.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks Jeremy for you thoughts and support.

I visited your website and found it enlightening in a number of areas. All helpful towards boosting my confidence, and many others no doubt, to go public. I know it should not be such an issue but there are a few elderly locals whom I like and respect and I am worried about alienating them, although maybe I am unjustly pre-emting their reaction.

I noticed that we also share a few other interests such as owning and renovating large stone buildings, building PCs and enjoying fine wine.

Anthony
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Anthony (denimini).

Pleased to hear my site has helped. I have written it in the hope that other men who prefer to move away from the drab, boring and limited male wardrobe can see that in this modern era there is no reason why they cannot.

It is always, no matter what one does within life, for the first time a little unnerving, perhaps not for some. Confidence and positivity does come, more so with support. You will find that here on this forum and out in the wider public. You'll meet some negative people but then you do in all aspects of life.

It can be difficult dealing with elderly people you know and do not want to alienate. Thankfully all but one in my life have been OK even if privately they may say 'silly b****r'. The one is an elderly relative on my wife's side and does get a mention on my site on the page "Myself". Those who are negative and are not part of your life are easy to deal with. If I had an elderly person who applied their standards on others not just me, I would happily put on trousers for the odd times I would be in their presence. I do however assess people and if double standards, hypocrisy or even bigotry is present I stand my ground. Each situation will be different, and I would, I did in fact, go and talk to each one privately in trousers. It is very interesting to note how open minded many have become, even in the elderly, in this modern era. It is only a minority, and within each locality most of the minority are usually the ones that object to many things and people. The one elderly relative I didn't talk to, it was made known to me first! (Gossip got back). My wife approached her family, I did mine and friends. Public, well you cannot talk to them all. I don't think anyone can really advise on these situations. They are all different and only the person involved can assess directly others sentiments within their lives. If you do talk to them privately, do it before gossip gets back. Information can be exaggerated and minds difficult to change. At the end of the day it is freedom of choice, freedom of expression, a right and entitlement. Others have these and exercise them. The female gender adopting the male wardrobe is an example. It does no physical harm to others, men in skirts are no different.

Nice to hear from another who likes renovating old stone houses, PCs and wine. Wine comes up quite often but I have not yet met any who do serious DIY and PC's. They say they do but when you get to know them they actually get others in and just do very minor DIY like painting! My wife and I tend to drink Australian and South African wines. Italian come next with South American and USA. I do not rate French wines, although when on holiday the wines available over there to me always are more superior in taste. Perhaps they just export the rejects to us Brits!

All the best. Perhaps catch up with you from time to time. I'm on Twitter promoting men in skirts. I quite enjoy posting suitable replies to negative comments. If not on Twitter you can still see them. My site has a viewing link. Oddly, it does give me a boost. I can only think that it is because I am actually challenging the negative ones, because in real life, they don't say it to you just about you. From direct public experience they are the minority but until more men wear skirts we'll be the minority.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

Welcome

There are a few of us Aussies here. I am in the York Peninsula of South Australia. Where are you?

Peter
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I am from Melbourne. How many Aussies are there on this forum?

John
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

MrUtopia wrote: There are a few of us Aussies here. I am in the York Peninsula of South Australia. Where are you?
Hi Peter and John,

We are certainly spread out. I am out past Broken Hill.
I do not know how many Aussie members here - the membership list can be set in order of location but is listed by town name and not country - so without scrolling through 1110 members - some-one with access to the database could come up with a list or number.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

not everyone has included their location in their profile information so an exact number will never be possible
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Reaper_Man wrote:not everyone has included their location in their profile information so an exact number will never be possible
I could undertake an assay based on IP addresses (which are hidden from the user community), but the best that would really yield would be a localization to country, and even then not with 100% accuracy. If somebody wants to say where he is, that's his business -- just the same as *not* saying anything.

I know where a few folks are down to the centimeter; others not so much. The former I know because I've been told (or have leveraged my skills in interpreting aerial photographs). My standard e-mail signature-block contains an ICBM address; I looked it up, and if somebody set off a 20 kilo-ton "gadget" at the location I specify, my house would be more or less on the edge of the blast-crater. One can't get that by my IP address which changes every time Sapphire closes the lid on her laptop because the wireless/router is a POS.

So, if I was to do this, it'd be (1) a heck of a lot of work and (2) not all that accurate. Oz and the US are vast places.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:
Reaper_Man wrote:not everyone has included their location in their profile information so an exact number will never be possible
So, if I was to do this, it'd be (1) a heck of a lot of work and (2) not all that accurate. Oz and the US are vast places.
Thanks, I did notice that there were a lot of blank address cells, which is fair enough.
Also I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to spend a lot of time pursuing this just as I was not prepared to scroll through all the members.

We can only hope that the number is growing and be encouraged when we will see at least one (other?) man in a skirt in public every day.
Women have the choice because some strong willed women fought for it many years ago. I think, and studies with apes confirm, that males are generally more conservative. I don't think I am that conservative but I am certainly intimidated by the conservative society; perhaps I am not very brave. I think if there was 2 or 3 other skirt wearing men visible within 500 kilometres I would feel more confident. There are a few Transgender persons in the region wearing skirts, and are mostly accepted, but that does not help me - infact it makes it more difficult in a way.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:...I don't think I am that conservative but I am certainly intimidated by the conservative society; perhaps I am not very brave. I think if there was 2 or 3 other skirt wearing men visible within 500 kilometres I would feel more confident. There are a few Transgender persons in the region wearing skirts, and are mostly accepted, but that does not help me - infact it makes it more difficult in a way.
Hang in there and be yourself, because, like, who else can you be?

My advice: Pick the location that's least threatening, sum up your courage, and just try it.

Maybe that's close to your home, maybe some distance away. Maybe it's somewhere like a gas station or convenience store, maybe it's a mall or somewhere else with the anonymity of a crowd. I'm not sure how far out the outback you are but com-cons, tattoo conventions, Scottish festivals, art districts, and street fairs are all possibilities.

If you can't find a fellow skirt-wearer, perhaps you can find a confidant to go with you.

Just do it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks all for your encouragement. It actually had an impact yesterday when I could see a neighbour approaching while I was outside painting in my frayed denim mini.

Previously I would duck inside and slip into something uncomfortable. This time I thought damn it, I will just ride this out.
He had come to borrow a bag of cement which I said that I could deliver after I had finished my painting. We then had a longish chat about a few local issues and then he went.
I still don't know if he noticed or not, but I felt good in myself.

I was not yet up to delivering the bag of cement on my shoulder wearing the mini, although it would have been a good look.
I will get there.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:I still don't know if he noticed or not, but I felt good in myself.
If he did, he did, and how he interpreted it is his game. However, you stood your ground and nothing untoward came from that. That constitutes a "win" for you.
I was not yet up to delivering the bag of cement on my shoulder wearing the mini, although it would have been a good look.
That's fine. 'Twas the initial, "damn it" that was important. This is how we gain confidence.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Standing your ground in the clothing of your choice is the best thing you can do. Showing the world that we can go about our business day to day even if we happen to have something unusual round our backsides can only be positive; we are showing the world we are just ordinary people, not delinquents with something to hide.
When I first went out in skirts, I knew I was rocking the boat, I knew I'd get odd looks, but it was my decision and I refused to skulk in the shadows.
Out in public and discovering you have put on a pair of non-matching socks, for example, you may well feel embarrassed, perhaps ashamed of being so careless; it is obviously a mistake. Wearing an open garment on your lower half, however, is making a statement, so nothing to be embarrassed about.

Martin
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

denimini wrote:Previously I would duck inside and slip into something uncomfortable. This time I thought damn it, I will just ride this out.
Pleased to hear this demimini. The more of these little steps you take the more confidence you will have and also realise that 99.9999999999999% of society will speak and interact with you just as much as when you are in the society expected 'grey male' attire. Any private thoughts remain as that. The few that don't, well everybody has a few of those in life for many other reasons.

Be yourself, others do.

I don't doubt for one minute that you are no different in your skirt to when you are in trousers and when the vast majority of public see this the skirt does become "non-noticeable" because at the end of the day the majority of people know that clothing does not define you it's the person, the personality.

Well done.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Mrtn, why be embarrassed by wearing a pair of non-matching socks? You can always say that you have another pair just like them at home!!!! :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.