Hi from Outback Australia

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi from Outback Australia

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Hi denimini,

I'm new on the forum too, joined I think last month. BTW I'm in Brisbane, and it sounds like there's a few of us Aussies around here, but as others have said, Australia is a HUGE place and we'e spread all over the country.

You have a great story there too, I'm sorry to hear about your partner also. I lost my mother from cancer too, so I know how it goes.

It would be interesting to hear from the other Aussies out there, and find out how many of us hang out here and where we all are.

I had my introduction to the wearing of skirted clothing when I visited the Solomon Islands quite a few years ago, and it was then that working in the more remote villages where everyone wore the traditional lavalava, or sarong. I found it was so much cooler than anything else, especially in a troipcal, humid environment.
Ever since then, including a couple of trips to Vanuatu, I have had a sarong or two for the ready.
My wife actually quite likes it too, she likes me to be cool and comfortable. She's even bough a few for me, so she's completely accepting.
For me, wearing sarongs etc is all about comfort and keeping cool while allowing you to move around with little restriction.

The way I look at it is quite simple. Many cultures in the world, it is the norm for men to wear skirts, lavalavas, sarongs, it's only really been in the last few hundred years that the change away from skirts has become the mainstream norm.
If it used to be the norm, and is the norm in many countries, for men to wear skirts, then why not.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is nice to hear from another Aussie. There does seem to be a few here but I have never seen any other skirt wearers out and about, I am in Far West NSW but I travel around a bit with work.
You are certainly at an advantage having the experience of wearing skirts in the islands where it is accepted clothing for men. It must be great to wear one and be considered "normal" - probably eventually happen again in Western errr... situations - need a few more converts for things to change. You are right about them being cool and comfortable - surprising that they haven't become more popular in Australia where the climate is generally warm - seems to be more men wearing skirts in the cold climates.
Anyway welcome to the Cafe ..... has helped me come a long way already.
Anthony
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Another Aussie from Sydney, will relocate to WA in a while. I've walked almost all the harbour tracks within 30km of the city, always in a short denim or white skirt or utilkilt. Never had bad reaction, often smiles, and sometimes positive reactions such as "Love your outfit" from a group of young women.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I am from Melbourne. In all the years I have seen 2 guys in kilts on the streets, I fear change will come here very slowly.

John
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

I might as well resurrect a four/five month old thread, as I rarely venture into this part of the board.

Welcome denimini. I live in the best part of Australia - Perth. Sorry for the bias. From what I've read there are people from Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, the place where the hill is broken, Sidernee (those who know about the Olympic Games choice for 2000 will understand that one), Melbourne and, if he's still there, Tasmania. For those who don't grasp the vastness of this land down under, it's a five hour flight from Perth and Brisbane, and more from Perth to Tasmania.

When I can I'll locate and upload a Channel-7 interview I had a few years back, assuming the TV station doesn't object. At the time I was in the press, on radio, and then interviewed as part of Today Tonight, promoting skirts for men, but I've had coming up to 50 years of wearing them.

My first 'public' wearing was while getting some milk from the local corner store. From there I've progressed to regularly wearing skirts at work in a government office, at church, and driving bus loads of students on a variety of tours.
Shalom
Steven
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks Steven, you are certainly an exerienced skirt wearer, which I find quite surprising in Australia. I feel like a pioneer today so it must have been alot more so 50 years back. I look forward to seeing the interview.
Speaking of distance; I have just got back from a one day meeting after driving 520 kms each way (in a skirt). Others travelled similar distances from other directions, some further because of rain - avoiding unsealed roads.
Anthony
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia