Hello from London

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from London

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations, Squeak! It only gets easier from here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Congratulations Squeak,

Reading is not a bad place; I have worn skirts around town and in various bars there many times without incident. Somehow it always seems so much harder when I'm thinking about what to wear than it really is in practise. Even now, there are occasions when I hesitate before going out skirted, however, I have never had a bad experience as a result of my clothing choices.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

I didn't really think about it, just went and did it. I was wearing a winter jacket which is quite long. But the zip went so there was "no hiding". Even if the zip had work it was poking out the bottom.

I know a lot of people in Reading, none of them know about this part of my life, was dubious what would happen if I bumped into someone I knew. But I didn't. I want to tell two people in particular, two good friends then I will be more at ease I think.

I have touched on it with both in the past, but just seeing what they thought of men wearing skirts rather than saying I do it.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Telling friends can feel difficult and it is really easy to bottle out and put it off. Several of my friends knew the first time I wore a sarong as they were on the same diving trip to Egypt. I had burned my calves and did not want to wear trousers but did not dare to wear shorts and risk further damage. A dive guide lent me a sarong and the sheer comfort meant I did not want to go back to trousers. The sarong broke the ice so wearing a kilt later just seemed a logical extension then skirts...

Despite that experience of friends just accepting my choice, I still found it difficult to tell some people. It was just confidence on my part that was missing and as time has passed it has become far easier. Now I never tell people, if I turn up in a skirt they will know, if not, they will find out another day.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

You must remember that while many of the men who see you skirted will think you odd, a few will look on wishing they had the nerve to do the same.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

dillon wrote:You must remember that while many of the men who see you skirted will think you odd, a few will look on wishing they had the nerve to do the same.
I could not agree more. Here's 2 quick stories from my own experience:

1. Years ago, I wore my kilt to an after-work office social event. There were a number of remarks made about my attire & the following Monday, one of my co-workers - a big linebacker type - said "Man! I don't think I could have ever worn something like that out in public!" I gave my standard reply of "Well, it takes a man to wear a kilt." His response was "I guess that I'm just going to have to sit with the women from now on" as he walked away shaking his head. :D

2. I've had pierced ears for 30 years. Many moons ago, I said to hell with it & wore earrings to a class reunion. One of the guys sidled up to me & spoke from the corner of his mouth " Damn, I wish I had enough nerve to wear my earring to this party." :)
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Hi Squeak,

I'm over the other side of London (essex) but also work in Soho from time to time. Maybe we (and whoever else wants to) could meet up for a coffee there one time and chat.

Let me know if you are interested!

R
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
squeak24

Post by squeak24 »

I spoke with a colleague yesterday to let him know. Turns out he has cross dresser friends, so he has absolutely no issues. Ironically, it is just the Scots in the office that don't know now.

The two friends I want to let know before anyone else, they both live overseas. Would like to talk one on one rather than on the phone. Really don't want them finding out third hand.

Regarding meeting up with like minded people, sounds good in principle. But logistically it could be tough. I personally work non-standard hours, even when I do I tend to be on the road a lot. I have literally only been in the office for one "full" day once in two weeks. But nothing stopping anyone else doing it.