New from Virginia

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
barefoot_kevin

New from Virginia

Post by barefoot_kevin »

I am new here, but not new to skirts and skirt like clothing. At the office I am required to wear shoes, trousers, shirt and tie, but as soon as I get home I shed all of that and, depending on my mood and the temperature, don either a denim skirt, sarong, caftan, or a kilt.

I am not into looking like a woman, so my tastes run on the conservative side, more into comfort than fashion. I am a barefoot runner also, and I wear a running skirt on the road, trail, and during races.

I am also an avid hiker, and usually wear a kilt on hikes, but am looking into a macabi for hiking as it offers more protection from sun, insects and trail hazards, and offers more versatility than a kilt. I would like some advice from macabi wearers here on length, modes of wear, etc... I hike with a group of other men and their sons, so they are used to me being kilted, not sure how they would respond to a longer skirt.

My wife isn't crazy about my penchant for skirts, but tolerates it. On the few occasions that I have gone into public (other than running) skirted or kilted, I have received nothing but positive comments. Those that would probably comment negatively pretty much keep to themselves.

Kevin
Uncle Al

Re: New from Virginia

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

Thank you.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

:mrgreen: Yes, welcome.....
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome, Kevin.

How do people react to your running skirt? I run in a skirt and it does seem to collect a few odd looks. So far nobody has tried to chase after me to ask me about it - maybe I am faster than I think! Comment from my wife is that not even women run in skirts, but she is not a fan of my skirts at all.

Given the acceptance of your hiking skirt, you should branch out into other skirted activities. Shopping, perhaps, or anything else for that matter. How do you think your Mrs would take it?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Yes, short skirts are great for running. I like doing runs along remote beaches in short skirts. When out of range of people, I usually stash the skirt under a rock or log, then run naked - long empty beaches are easy to find in Australia. On the way back, I don the skirt to return to the beginning.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Welcome, Kevin. Skirts are excellent outdoors!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Welcome Kevin.
:welcome:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

TheRod wrote:Yes, short skirts are great for running. I like doing runs along remote beaches in short skirts. When out of range of people, I usually stash the skirt under a rock or log, then run naked - long empty beaches are easy to find in Australia. On the way back, I don the skirt to return to the beginning.

Sounds great - the feeling of freedom ... The burnt buttocks ... The pink penis ... On second thoughts, maybe not so good .

Besides, hereabouts it's just too cold and windy, even when it is sunny. Today is a case in point: lovely and sunny, not a cloud in the sky, but forecast only 15°C and 15 MPH east wind.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Never had any sunburn issues because I'm careful, wear a hat, and have olive skin. Just came back from a month in the Kimberley area in the far NW when everyday the temperatures ranged from 20 to 32 deg and the sky was cloudless. So I would run early morning or late afternoon when the sun was a lot less intense than at midday. This was in the depths of the southern winter mind you... Gorge hiking in a kilt was great too.
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

skirtyscot wrote:Welcome, Kevin.

How do people react to your running skirt? I run in a skirt and it does seem to collect a few odd looks. So far nobody has tried to chase after me to ask me about it - maybe I am faster than I think! Comment from my wife is that not even women run in skirts, but she is not a fan of my skirts at all.

Given the acceptance of your hiking skirt, you should branch out into other skirted activities. Shopping, perhaps, or anything else for that matter. How do you think your Mrs would take it?
Yeah, I get some odd looks sometimes, but only when I run in the city. I live out in the country and don't encounter a whole lot of people or traffic, and my two running partners didn't even notice for about a week, one of them is now also wearing one. The other is still a little worried about what folks may think. In the city and when I am racing I usually wear something under it, but those are the only times.

I do wear a skirt or kilt on my nights out with the guys, plus I also teach a class on home brewing beer, and I am always kilted for that. I have worn kilts shopping, singing (I am a classically trained baritone), pumping gasoline, at church picnics, at church, to the barber shop, getting pedicures (monthly).

As I said my wife tolerates it, but she is starting to be more accepting. Last month, her sister and her husband came over for a saturday cookout. It was the first time they had seen me in a kilt, her sister was very accepting, said "it looks comfortable, and didn't see any reason why a man shouldn't be able to wear kilts or skirts if that is what they wanted to do, and they were comfortable with it." (paraphrased). After dinner, her husband started asking me all kinds of questions, wher did I get it?, how much do they cost?, etc... My wife puts a lot of weight in her sister's opinions so I think it will be just a matter of time when she doesn't care if I am skirted or not. I am getting ready to retire in another year, and plan to be skirted or kilted the entire time after that.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

barefoot_kevin wrote:...I am getting ready to retire in another year, and plan to be skirted or kilted the entire time after that...
Good for you!

But why wait?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

TheRod wrote:Yes, short skirts are great for running. I like doing runs along remote beaches in short skirts. When out of range of people, I usually stash the skirt under a rock or log, then run naked - long empty beaches are easy to find in Australia. On the way back, I don the skirt to return to the beginning.
I've got a couple swim-skirts that are basically mini-skirts. Wonderful for walking up and down Iroquois hill - 592' elevation change and about 4.5 miles round trip the way I do it. Also for mowing the lawn and other yard work. And have also worn on shopping trips to the malls and stopping for a burger and fries/chips. :)
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

Caultron wrote: Good for you!

But why wait?
Why wait for what?

Retirement? - Got about a year left on the mortgage, been doubling up on payments trying to get rid of it as fast as I can. Besides, an extremely large corporation is buying my company out, and I am waiting to see if they offer a decent buyout.

Skirts? - Can't wear them to the office. That's the only impediment.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

skirtyscot wrote:

Sounds great - the feeling of freedom ... The burnt buttocks ... The pink penis ... On second thoughts, maybe not so good .

Besides, hereabouts it's just too cold and windy, even when it is sunny. Today is a case in point: lovely and sunny, not a cloud in the sky, but forecast only 15°C and 15 MPH east wind.
LOL... I had a similar thought when considering the naked neo-hippies out west in the desert. Must be why they call it "Burning Man". :P
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...