Crazy in Alabama

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Dixie_Lioness

Crazy in Alabama

Post by Dixie_Lioness »

Hello, all. Good to be here.
I'm more of a prospective skirt-wearer than anything at the moment. I have one dress in my closet that I wear around the apartment every now and then. I once accidentally repurposed a pair of cargo shorts into a skirt; I wore it a couple times, then disposed of it. But I remember how awesome it felt, and I'm going to lose weight so I can go buy some skirts I actually want. I want to go out in public in a skirt someday, but that's gonna take some serious working-up of courage (see the title of this thread for the reason why).

I have nothing against kilts, but I'd much rather wear a skirt that's obviously designed for women. I thought about getting a kilt, then realized that it would essentially be a placeholder for something more feminine, and I wouldn't be enjoying the kilt for what it is.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Crazy in Alabama

Post by skirtingtoday »

Dixie_Lioness Welcome to the forum! :D Always good to see and read about new arrivals here. 8)

We have all been in your position - starting off thinking about getting a skirt (rather than a kilt). The "will I dare to get a skirt far less wear it question?" Everyone here has there own ideas about lengths, styles and how to start - you will find many posts on that topic.
If you wish it get one anonymously, then mail order is best (and e-bay is also quite inexpensive as well). No problem of course, going into a shop and buying one off the rack but that can be unnerving the first time.

Hope we hear more from your purchases and eventually venturing out into the world. Read the posts here for help and encouragement.

Good to make that first small step - thinking about it!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Dixie_Lioness wrote:I have nothing against kilts, but I'd much rather wear a skirt that's obviously designed for women. I thought about getting a kilt, then realized that it would essentially be a placeholder for something more feminine, and I wouldn't be enjoying the kilt for what it is.
Well, maybe a placeholder would be a good strategy, for starters. Take small steps; try going out in a kilt for a while, then you could try a plain skirt, then "something more feminine" as yu get more comfortable and confident. This approach is also good when being with friends or family members: you don't want to shock them suddenly, but by progressing from kilt to skirt over a long period (weeks or maybe months) it won't be a shock at all.

Welcome to the café, and I hope you weren't affected by all those tornadoes!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

i know what you mean. i too am from alabama
skipper5551

Post by skipper5551 »

I am from Georgia and have started wearing skirts a few years ago while hiking in the mountains. Skirts are more comfortable for me than kilts because you can get them in lighter fabrics and in shorter lengths so they are cooler. I have a couple of kilts I wear for more formal occasions but skirts for normal day use especially out hiking is what I wear. Not to worry, most people do not notice or do not care if you are wearing a skirt.

Skipper5551
]Skipper5551
The skirted hiker from Georgia!