Minnesota Newbie

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Minnesota Newbie

Post by finrod »

Hi all,

I'm a software developer in my thirties, from Minneapolis, Minnesota (US). I first got into the idea of men wearing skirts when a coed recreational ultimate disc team I was on randomly decided to have a "everyone wears skirts or dresses" game (we had a different theme each week). It occurred to me then that there really wasn't a good reason for guys to eschew skirts. I like to deliberately go against the grain on arbitrary conventions like this, so I decided to explore the idea more.

Last year I wore a Macabi skirt to my wedding, but other than that I've only worn skirts in public a couple of times. I've also recently gotten into sewing, and have been trying my hand at creating my own skirt. Easier said than done though! If and when I have something worth showing, I'll post some photos. I noticed the Sewing forum and plan to take a wander down there sometime soon.

I've read the forums here from time to time, but haven't been an active participant until now. Looking forward to getting to know people here!

finrod (yeah, it's a Tolkien reference :) )
Uncle Al

Re: Minnesota Newbie

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi finrod and :welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Finrod.

Your Tolkein reference is lost on me, but welcome anyway.

Your own wedding is a pretty radical place to choose to start wearing skirts in public, so well done for that!

Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi and welcome Finrod. Very bold of you to wear a Macabi for your wedding, guess your new wife is ok with your choice. Good luck with your sawing.
Last edited by melsav on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome. :mrgreen:
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome finrod!

Always good to hear from other skirt-wearing men in the world. Hope to hear more from you in future posts.

(I think finrod appeared in the Silmarillion (by Tolkien) but not the more well known Hobbit or Lord of the rings... and he was an elf.)

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

finrod wrote:..Last year I wore a Macabi skirt to my wedding, but other than that I've only worn skirts in public a couple of times...
Hi, finrod, and welcome!

Good going on the wedding, but I'm curious what led you to that choice. Like, if you don't customarily wear skirts in public, why then?

And it's great that your spouse accepts your skirt-wearing to that extent. What did (s)he wear? How about the rest of the wedding party, if there was one?

My advice, like others, is not to worry about wearing a skirt in public. The resistance inside your own head is far greater than anything outside it. Just do it and enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Thanks, everyone! My wife wore a simple, modern red dress to the wedding and is very supportive of men wearing skirts. She and I share a love for rejecting arbitrary conventions. :-) We didn't have a wedding party, but our families dressed fairly traditionally.

Caultron, my wife and I thought that on our wedding day we should dress in a way that reflected our ideals, and also for me it was a factor that it would be a uniquely accepting environment. I appreciate the encouragement on getting over my hangups, too.

Ross, yes, you are correct!