Skirt at Comic-Con

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt at Comic-Con

Post by photoguy207 »

A few weeks ago, I wore a beige Columbia Crossroads II cargo skirt to comic-con in San Diego.

The skirt I had on looks pretty much like male cargo shorts:
http://www.zappos.com/columbia-crossroa ... st=fcl%3A2

I had a black long sleeved shirt from Old Navy tied around my waist that covered the back of the skirt and the arms of the shirt hid the front of the skirt. There was really no way to tell I had a skirt on. This is the second time I was in public with a skirt on like this. Both times I got no reaction, which made it easier for it being my first times in public.

I left the venue and walked up the street for lunch at a bar. The wind was an issue! And sitting on a bar stool or sitting down in general is also much harder than shorts or pants. So I had to pay attention.

There were a lot of guys there in kilts. There were also a few in long skirts. And a couple guys dressed up in female costumes. So I figured it was a good time to try a skirt out in public. The other time was Las Vegas earlier this year.

Men don't realize what they are missing by not wearing skirts!!!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt at Comic-Con

Post by crfriend »

photoguy207 wrote:The skirt I had on looks pretty much like male cargo shorts:
http://www.zappos.com/columbia-crossroa ... st=fcl%3A2
Based on that photograph, if it wasn't for the manicured look on the nails the model could have been either male or female. I'd call that "unisex" (which used to be a term for F-to-M crossdressing, mind).
Men don't realize what they are missing by not wearing skirts!!!
Indeed they don't, and that's sad.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

photoguy207 wrote:A few weeks ago, I wore a beige Columbia Crossroads II cargo skirt to comic-con in San Diego.

The skirt I had on looks pretty much like male cargo shorts...
Good going: keep at it.

You'll be amazed how little (if at all) people care what you wear.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

As it was hard to see your skirt, the lack reaction from anybody should not have surprised you. Once you saw that there were a few other skirted men, did you pluck up the courage to display your skirt at all?

A good way to start anyway. Presumably you didn't see any bad reactions to the other skirted men. Learn from that and keep on skirting!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I too encounter no direct problem out and about in a skirt. Only rarely the odd giggle but it is a fraction of a fraction of a percent and I get far more compliments.

These days people are not bothered as the majority are doing their own thing themselves. Men do not realise what they are missing out on not being in skirts but then that's their decision.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.