Hello There!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Southernskirt

Hello There!

Post by Southernskirt »

Hello there! I wanted to introduce myself as an avid skirt wearer from the southern USA. I joined this group in hopes of helping to break down some of the glaring gender barriers associated with the un-bifurcated garment we all know and love, the humble skirt.

I love to wear skirts for many reasons, the freedom of movement, the style they provide, the feel, etc., etc. I have worn them in both (modern) kilt and skirt form in private for nearly 15 years, and in public occasionally for the last 5. My tallest barrier is, as I'm sure is the same with many (if not most) of the forum members here, is with public/social acceptance. As my screen name suggests, I am from the southern US, born and raised specifically Southeastern TN, and many here just don't grasp the concept that a man can WANT to wear a skirt, by choice, and love every minute of it. Sure there are a few kilted gents around here, but I would say they are a once in a few thousand occurrence.

I am married to an absolutely wonderful wife, who stands beside me in life for all it's grandeur. She supports my wardrobe fully as well and I think there is nothing as spiritually freeing as a skirted man and his wife taking a stroll.

One thing I would say about publicly wearing a skirt as a man is that there will be comments made by spectators. I have received positive comments, neutral comments, negative comments, and even comments that would make one almost rethink his wardrobe choice... almost that is :) . I see on the net where many folks say that the general population does not notice what you wear, well I can say that in my area, this is not the case, nor is it the case in places I have visited whilst skirted. People do notice, and I think that's o.k., because the folks that notice could soon be some of our skirted brethren!

I hope this is sufficient for an introduction, and I hope to talk to you all soon!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello There!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Suthernskirt!
Well done in that you have already passed a significant hurdle - you have a supporting wife by your side! 8) Quite a few here, including myself, still have that to cross so any skirt-wearing I do is outwith her "line of sight". :(

Good to have you on board and I look forward to hearing any tales you have to offer regarding positive/negative comments and how you deal/have dealt with them. :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome to Southernskirt! from quite a bit further south. This Aussie loved the southern hospitality when in the U.S. in 1982 and wouldn't mind going back sometime. Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tenn. was a highlight. Welcome again and, as far as I'm concerned, so is your wife welcome to browse our gossip.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Sam

Post by Sam »

Welcome Southernskirt,
Also in Europe you'll get positive reactions or people that are amazed to see a man in skirt. I haven't encountered negative reactions (yet) but what matters is that by wearing a skirt one makes a statement! :D
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Hi Southernskirt,

Good intro, and great to see that you have home support, that certainly makes life a whole lot easier.

Neil (another skirt fan from the land down under)
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Welcome! I'd like to hear more of your experiences, because I lived in the deep South for a while (before becoming a skirter). I would agree that in the South wearing a skirt would get more attention and cause more comments than up here in New England. But you are helping the skirting movement spread to your part of the world and thus to ALL parts of the world. Best of luck to you!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!