Hello from Phoenix

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Hello from Phoenix

Post by Caultron »

Greetings to everyone on this board. You seem like a good group and the board itself is a valuable resource.

As to me, I'm a married straight white male living Phoenix, Arizona, USA. For many years I've been intrigued by the idea of wearing a skirt but I never actually bought one or put one on. Then I came across the idea of buying one at a thrift store, and so I started looking. The first couple of times they had nothing my size that I wanted to wear, but then I came across two denim skirts on the same rack and bought them both. One has four small useless pockets and belt loops that accommodate a "normal" men's jean belt. The other has no belt loops or pockets. Both are about 20 inches long. One's a size 16 and the other an 18, but both fit me. Some of this might be lucky style variations, but it does seem that skirt size isn't quite as important as men's waist size. The skirt just finds a place on your hips and there you are.

So far I've only worn these at home but they feel great, a totally different sensation than wearing pants or shorts. Going out in public seems pretty nervy but I guess under the right circumstances I would.

I don't consider myself a transvestite. I have no desire, for example, to wear a wig, put on makeup, or wear a bra or blouse. It's just the idea of a skirt that interests me. But it does seem that wearing a skirt leads to other consequences. Like, you probably don't want typical men's mid-calf socks -- at least, I've never liked that combination on women. And unless you're going for the combat-boot look, you probably want something lighter-weight than typical men's klunky wing-tips. But there are still plenty of choices from the men's department here.

Lack of pockets leads to another consequence of wearing a skirt. Even if the skirt has pockets, putting stuff in them, "breaks the line," (or at least so I've been told). So you need somewhere else to carry your wallet, cellphone, keys, hankerchief and so on. So you end up carring a purse, even if you pay triple for it as, "a man's bag". And somehow, carrying a purse in public worries me more than the skirt. Or maybe it's the combination of the two. Hmm.

I've had pierced earrings for 22 years and never considered them feminine, even thought for the first couple of years I bought them in the women's department. Since then I've always bought my earrings from a piercing shop. They're just plain hoops, about 3/4 inches in diameter, solid niobium.

I'd be interested in meeting any other skirt-wearing men in the Phoenix area. Somehow, that seems less nervy than going out alone. Safety in numbers, I suppose.

Thanks again to everyone for running and participating in the board. There's certainly plenty here to think about.

caultron
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Milfmog

Re: Hello from Phoenix

Post by Milfmog »

Hi caultron,

And welcome to our little corner of cyberspace.

Going out skirted the first time feels like a huge step...

...until you do it; then it tends to be a major anticlimax. The earth does not stop turning, the sky does not fall in and the tax man still wants his pound of flesh. Once you've worn a skirt out and about a few times it all starts to seem very normal and then you can just enjoy the difference of being skirted.

Have fun and enjoy your voyage of discovery,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Welcome to the site, Caultron.
Caultron wrote:Lack of pockets leads to another consequence of wearing a skirt. Even if the skirt has pockets, putting stuff in them, "breaks the line," (or at least so I've been told).
This is less of a problem with jeans-style skirts. I think this is mostly because the pockets are a decent size (if you choose carefully!), so they hang down below the hip where there is room for you to put stuff in them without them bulging out too much. The heavy material is less likely to bulge out. And if they do stick out a little bit, it is less noticeable because the pockets are at the front rather than on the sides.
Caultron wrote:... somehow, carrying a purse in public worries me more than the skirt. Or maybe it's the combination of the two. Hmm.
Same here!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

It's a pleasure to see another member who is willing to break the mould! Sometimes skirt pockets are totally useless decorative things little more than the first finger joint deep; a good pocket is one of my main criteria when looking, along with belt loops that will accommodate a man size belt. :welcome:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Welcome Caultron. Hopefully you'll find that you're not so different and there are others like you. Denim skirts are a good place to start since they look more manly and are often mistaken for shorts. People sometimes see what they expect to see and may not even notice that you're wearing a skirt.

I'm curious, if you want to discuss it, is your wife aware of your skirting, and is she ok with it?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

[quote="Brad"]I'm curious, if you want to discuss it, is your wife aware of your skirting, and is she ok with it?[/quote]

No, so far she's not aware, but this is obviously something I need to resolve. I'm pretty sure she's not going to like it, but hopefully she'll at least put up with it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Hello Caultron and welcome !!
I'm also a big fan of denim skirts and also happen to wear hoops, except for work.

Feel free to post some pics to see how it looks.

Cheers

Tes