I'm back!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
MiltonKeynes

I'm back!

Post by MiltonKeynes »

Hello everyone. Its me, Milton.

I've had to register a new account as I had some difficulties last year. A work related injury put me in hospital for a few days. I'm just fine now, but while I was in my flat was broken into and my laptop stolen amongst other things. The insurance paid up OK but I lost a lot of data, including my logins for a number of sites. I had a backup HD but that went too.

None of my skirts were taken! woo hoo!

So now I'll be posting a bit more here.

I can't seem to work out how to upload my avatar. Help! :(

Milton
FJ in Milton Keynes. "Opinions are made to be changed - or how is truth to be got at?" (Lord Byron).
I've been on this planet since 1988 and wearing a skirt since 2008.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I'm back!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Milton,

I am fairly new here and I can't figure out how to post an avatar either! I have assumed that I have to post an undisclosed number of posts to be able to trigger some sort of automatic permission. Tried contacting a Mod but have not yet had a reply yet (wonder why?)

Sorry to hear about your break-in. We had one over 20 years ago - they stole my 48k Spectrum! And a raft of games, word processing packages and TV. Got a lot of it back on insurance (got a 128k+2 to replace it so was happy enough then)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Welcome back MK.
skirtingtoday wrote:I am fairly new here and I can't figure out how to post an avatar either! I have assumed that I have to post an undisclosed number of posts to be able to trigger some sort of automatic permission. Tried contacting a Mod but have not yet had a reply yet (wonder why?)
I can't speak for the other mods, but I have not replied because I've not seen your request. How did you send it?

Anyway, to answer your request, an avatar can be uploaded from the User Control Panel | Profile | Edit Avatar. You will need to ensure your image is no larger that 80 x 80 pixels or 6KB. If your image is too large it can be reduced by any one of multiple tools; I use irfanview (free from this website) as well as being my favourite price, it is simple to use.

Any problems come back and ask again.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Milfmog,

I had not sent a query to you but "crfriend" as a PM - I noted his name as a moderators in the main rules - front page. Maybe I should have tried again with another person.

Anyway, I had already tried your suggestion and I can see a Current avatar (which of course is blank) and 3 buttons below it. They are "Display gallery", "Reset" and "Submit". The "Reset" does not do anything I can see and "Submit" confirms that the change has been carried out.

The Display gallery opens up another dialogue box below it with Category, Go and Cancel.

The first of these has an associated box with "None" in a linked pull down menu (no other options are available on that menu), "Go" does not do anything and "Cancel" closes that dialogue box down.

I have got that far but cannot see any "Load avatar" or "Add image" button. Is there a separate place to upload a gallery that I am missing?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtingtoday wrote:I can see a Current avatar (which of course is blank) and 3 buttons below it. They are "Display gallery", "Reset" and "Submit". The "Reset" does not do anything I can see and "Submit" confirms that the change has been carried out.

The Display gallery opens up another dialogue box below it with Category, Go and Cancel.

The first of these has an associated box with "None" in a linked pull down menu (no other options are available on that menu), "Go" does not do anything and "Cancel" closes that dialogue box down.

I have got that far but cannot see any "Load avatar" or "Add image" button. Is there a separate place to upload a gallery that I am missing?
I just created a dummy user account and had a look and it seems that I see the same options as you. There used to be an option to load an Avatar from your system or point to one somewhere else on the web. This seems to have gone, possibly during a software upgrade. I'll have to see what light Carl can throw on this (he's the maestro with anything that happens under the bonnet).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:There used to be an option to load an Avatar from your system or point to one somewhere else on the web. This seems to have gone, possibly during a software upgrade. I'll have to see what light Carl can throw on this (he's the maestro with anything that happens under the bonnet).
It looks like the option to uplaod an avatar disappeared at least two software rolls ago, and was likely a result of me dramatically tightening filesystem security behind the scenes following the compromise from a couple of years ago.

That having been said, I located where uploaded avatars should go, enabled write permission to the area, and enabled the "upload avatar" option. This should fix the issue; if it doesn't, please do not hesitate to gripe.
skirtingtoday wrote:I have assumed that I have to post an undisclosed number of posts to be able to trigger some sort of automatic permission. Tried contacting a Mod but have not yet had a reply yet (wonder why?)
This may be the case, but once a new user is released from the constraints of that role, he should have full access to the board. As far as the contact goes, I didn't see anyting in my in-box -- do you recall when you sent it? If I missed it, please accept my apologies.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Thanks MIlfmog and crfriend for your assistance - I note that the option to add an avatar has been included (I have just now put up mine in a kilt)

I recall sending the PM in early December but don't have a copy of it (I hadn't checked the save message option, at the time) No apology necessary. I may have done something wrong in the sending process as still new to fora and their machinations.
MiltonKeynes

Post by MiltonKeynes »

Thanks MrMod. As you can see my piccy is in place

Milton
FJ in Milton Keynes. "Opinions are made to be changed - or how is truth to be got at?" (Lord Byron).
I've been on this planet since 1988 and wearing a skirt since 2008.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Aha! I see the use of Neuter Plural. When I'm talking to patients about their gums I must of course say 'Ga' in future!

I'm just following Ian Milfmog's bottom line directive.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !