New guy

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
orthohawk

New guy

Post by orthohawk »

Hello all!
I'm Dmitri from Iowa. My unbifircated garment-wearing ranges from a kilt that I got while still in the Air Force (marvelous little shop in Carmel, CA) to an arabian thobe (basically a long robe with shirt-like sleeves and a standup type collar that I usually leave one button open), to an actual ankle-length denim skirt. The skirt has a funny backstory which kinda reveals an aspect of my personality.

In my old office, the managers were getting a little miffed about the slovenly appearance of some, so came out with a new dress code that prohibited blue jeans, but specifically allowed other colored jeans as well as (and here's the rub) blue denim jumpers/skirts. One guy rebelled by buying 5 pairs of white jeans and then dying them such colors as neon-green, fuschia, tangerine orange..........well, you get the idea. I, on the other hand, went home and got on line. I found a blue denim long skirt at Vermont Country Store, ordered it, and the day after it came, wore it in to work. The managers (well, actually, just one: the Hag) got miffed again so an amendment: black denim only (seems one of the managers also had a black denim jumper she liked to wear), so Dmitri gets back online and orders a black denim skirt from the VCS and wore THAT in to work. The other manager didn't seem to want to give up her jumper, so the sartorial war stopped there. But I found I actually liked the skirt: breezier and no seam to, er............bother me. :) I've worn it out in public a couple times but the UG that I usually go out in is the thobe.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: New guy

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard Dmitri!

I almost laughed out loud about the saga of the denim skirt -- it sounds like you have quite the office-ful of characters.

Where in Iowa do you hail from, and how do the locals deal with the thobe? I used to have relatives in Missouri Valley and I suspect one would not have gone down there well at all, but in the more cosmopolitan places I can certainly see it.

The kilt should be a "no-brainer".

:welcome:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
orthohawk

Post by orthohawk »

Heh. Yeah, the Hag was not pleased but since the jumper-loving manager was a friend of hers, she had to let me wear my skirt..........which I made sure to do whenever we had a staff meeting with any higher-ups in attendance!

I live in Iowa City, so, being the home of a big-10 university, the thobe gets, at most, a double take but that's pretty much it. Well other than ignorant comments flung out by drunken frat boys, but those are usually taken care of by my turning toward them and making a huge sign of the cross at them (I usually wear a big cross and what looks to the uninitiated like a Greek priest's hat), which has garnered a "Oh, sorry, Father!" a couple of times!

I'd wear the kilt much more, but unfortunately, I bought it about 60 pounds ago :(. I'm working on fitting back into it.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hahahaha, "turning toward them and making a huge sign of the cross at them", that is a real laugh. :D Brilliant!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: orthohawk!!

Dis be chubby me a few years ago at the WSOP in Las Vegas.. No one in Vegas took any notice at all of my skirts. I played in 2 of the $1,000.00 buy in bracelet tournies. I won $1,700.00 in one and nothing in the other, so I ended up out $300.00, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Great fun, lots of folks asked me about the skirt, mostly "how does it feel" type questions. A few said they'd try one if they could get it cheap enough...I steered them to thrift shops. :thewave:
WSOP2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/