kilt wearing

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Re: kilt wearing

Post by Offkilter69 »

Last week my lady and I donned a our leather looks for a trip to a local college fashion museum followed by a Doors cover band concert. I’m sure I got my fair share of double takes of my leather Utilikilt, but received only one comment from a guy who jokingly asked if I was “regimental”. Umm…I was clearly wearing tights. LOL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I have to say that looks great, and great too that your significant other half is on board, and the "matching" leather kilt and skirt is pretty cool.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:08 am I have to say that looks great, and great too that your significant other half is on board, and the "matching" leather kilt and skirt is pretty cool.
Thanks! I’ve always liked the look and feel of leather, particularly buttery soft lamb skin. I have bought a few leather skirts and a dress for my SO as she rocks them very well. I like my leather Utilikilt but would rather wear her skirt, which I actually own in a larger size. Unfortunately it runs a bit snug in the waist and is ill fitting through the hips.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

On kilt wearing ....A few things on accessories ....How many of you will automatically use a sporran when wearing a traditional kilt and do you guys use the kilt pin through both the under apron and the nap to pin them together or do you just use it on the front to weight the hem so it doesn't fly up in the wind ..Thirdly do you prefer a decorated belt and buckle , any belt will do or no belt ,

For me I only use a sporran if I think I need it for storage and the kilt pin definitely only on the front as a weight and I have to have the decorated belt/buckle Doesn't feel right otherwise . Cheers ...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I usually wear a sporran if I'm going out in a tartan kilt, but not invariably, and I often don't bother when wearing a less traditional one such as plain tweed or plain black. I always have a kilt pin as a weight (and a decoration), and I never put it through more than the top apron of the kilt. I tend to wear a belt: I have plain black with a round metal clip for formal Scottish wear, a brown one with an embossed pattern and a plain buckle which goes with a range of kilts and skirts, and a plain black belt with a buckle (Union Kilt brand) worn mainly with non-traditional kilts (corduroy, denim, utility).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Like MB, I wear a sporran if I’m going out. Just had the experience where I went to a musical in a tartan kilt and needed the sporran to carry phone/keys. No belt but I have one. Usually wear a kilt pin but only through one layer. But when I’m going somewhere where I’ll need to go through a security or metal detector, I don’t wear it. Tonight at the musical, I ditched the socks pulled up to the knees. To me, and please, this is only my opinion, I think the socks pulled up look is more costume like versus fashion. Black oxfords and shorter black socks just felt better all around.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A belt is required when wearing "The Great Kilt". The belt is the ONLY way of keeping
the kilt on the body.

When wearing a 'traditional brecon' kilt, I ALWAYS wear a belt. It's a must-wear item.
If I need to reach up for something, the belt keeps the kilt from going 'South' on me,
an experience you don't want :!: :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I wear kilts all year round, and it is in no way cold- Mostly it is with bare knees. But if I get tired of questions whether it is not cold, I might wear tights.

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.