Pig Ignorance

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Pig Ignorance

Post by mugman »

When in a kilt I can understand anyone asking if I'm Scottish. But when someone remarks that he hopes I have a sporran on underneath it...one wonders what planet he comes from. Almost as sensible as the guy who asked which clan my plain black kilt's tartan was. But not, of course, as pig ignorant as that time Richard Branson wore a kilt with the pleats at the front. Classic.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pig Ignorance

Post by partlyscot »

I try and be understanding, but I do find it mind boggling how people can be so unaware of things that aren't immediately within their interest.

Bad cases I call "Wilful ignorance" There are some people who are so hyperfocused on the current task they tune out extraneous stuff, but it's more common to be just..."switched off" to things that are happening all around.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Sometime ago while wearing my Anderson Tartan Kilt, a guy came up to me and said
“have you got your trews on”
I replied sorry,
he said “have you got your trews on”
I ignored him
“so your not saying if your wearing trews”
the poor guy had no idea, he thought Scottish trews were underwear (briefs). :roll:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I was in what is now called Middle School (9th grade 1959) I was in a Pipe and Drum Corp, no I did not play an instrument, I was in the Color Guard and carried an M-1 carbine. :dance: I wore a full kilt for parades and during practice. I had to go to practice right after school and did not have time to go home to change. So I wore the kilt all day in class, some of the little brats :woops: tried to tease me but I always got the best of them by saying at least I have the guts to wear it. Plus it always got the girls and that was a big plus for me. At the end of the year I went into the Air Force and stopped wearing kilts. Up until a little over a year or so ago I never thought of wearing kilts again let alone skirts. Then a medical condition caused me to forgo pants and shorts and have to wear skirts. I have never gone back to pants or shorts. :hooray: :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Interesting Story Fred....... I heard a story back in the fifties that at some time in the past
American Mothers dressed their sons in Traditional Scottish Kilts as a fashionable garment..
One of my friends was a Kilt wearing trumpeter in the Scottish Boys Brigade in Scotland
At this time many school boys in Scotland wore their Family Clan Kilts as part of their school uniform..
The thing which still offends me is when a.... "Man in the Street "... asks me why I am wearing a skirt,
when I am clearly wearing a Traditional Scottish Kilt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

You can't fix stupid. Accept and enjoy it as part of life's rich tapestry.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Caultron wrote:You can't fix stupid. Accept and enjoy it as part of life's rich tapestry.
Thanks for that Caultron.. " Stupidity is terminal."...
It was suggested to me that if stupid people had any more brains they could become plants.

It was also suggested that that a Male who wore a girls school tartan kilt skirt could pose
as a Drag Queen who had stepped out of a Christmas Pantomime
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:Thanks for that Caultron.. " Stupidity is terminal."...
It was suggested to me that if stupid people had any more brains they could become plants.

It was also suggested that that a Male who wore a girls school tartan kilt skirt could pose
as a Drag Queen who had stepped out of a Christmas Pantomime
LOL
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Caultron wrote:You can't fix stupid. Accept and enjoy it as part of life's rich tapestry.
Thanks for that Caultron.. " Stupidity is terminal."...
I have always liked the one that said: "I may be crazy but at least I am not STUPID!"

I think that one fits me to a "T". :lol: :hide: :rofl: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred...I cannot make up my mind why I am undecieded........weeladdie
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

When I wear my black Skirtcraft skirt or my just above knee- length denim one, I sometimes get comments like, "Got the kilt on again" :roll:
Others say, " Did you come here on your bike?" with the follow up, "Thought it was shorts" when I confirmed it WAS actually a skirt. :shock:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtingtoday wrote:When I wear my black Skirtcraft skirt or my just above knee- length denim one, I sometimes get comments like, "Got the kilt on again" :roll:
Others say, " Did you come here on your bike?" with the follow up, "Thought it was shorts" when I confirmed it WAS actually a skirt. :shock:
Perhaps folks are just trying to be polite and work out where we are coming from......I am quite
happy in my own little world.....Sometimes it is difficult to think up a suitable response without
getting drawn into a conversation..... someone said to a friend of mine.." Why does he wear a Kilt ? "
My friends reply was " They are all like that where he comes from....."
.....that is a fair comment.